Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,475 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am curious about life in Newport. Mostly, I would like to know whether cost-of-living keeps pace with salaries and if there is a thriving job market within Newport. Or do most people commute outside of the city to work elsewhere?

Are there neighborhoods with: healthy walkable "downtown" commercial districts; an artsy/creative vibe; and/or overnight street parking allowed?

How's the public transportation system in Newport?

Rentals market: Can anyone say what average rents would be for a 1-room studio or 1-BR apartment? Is there a mix of different kinds of rental options, such as apartment complexes, apartments above storefronts, multi-family houses, and/or shares with roommates?

Are there nearby towns you would rank higher than Newport, either for jobs or housing? For now, I'd like to leave Providence out of the discussion.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 06:42 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello all,
I am curious about life in Newport. Mostly, I would like to know whether cost-of-living keeps pace with salaries and if there is a thriving job market within Newport. Or do most people commute outside of the city to work elsewhere?

Are there neighborhoods with: healthy walkable "downtown" commercial districts; an artsy/creative vibe; and/or overnight street parking allowed?

Rentals market: Can anyone say what average rents would be for a 1-room studio or 1-BR apartment? Is there a mix of different kinds of rental options, such as apartment complexes, apartments above storefronts, multi-family houses, and/or shares with roommates?

Are there nearby towns you would rank higher than Newport, either for jobs or housing? For now, I'd like to leave Providence out of the discussion.

Newport is special. There is no other "vibe" like it in New England. You haven't mentioned your job interests/qualifications. Cost of living is slightly higher in Newport. If you're in the hospitality, there is a job market. A small one bedroom apartment can run from $1000-$2000 depending on your budget, taste & neighborhood. Much of town is very walkable, especially near the retail areas. Newport is in a city class of its own in Rhode Island. Unless you're willing to live in PVD or a suburb of Providence (much of RI), the job/housing outlook can be challenging depending on what you do and what pay you require.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello all,

I have a condo in Newport and have toyed with the idea of living there year round. Outside of Hospitality and Services, there aren’t a ton of jobs in Newport. There is Salve Regina, Naval Base in Newport. In addition, there is Raytheon in Middletown. I have noticed that most people ending up commuting out of town unless they are lucky enough to have a job locally.

Spring street/Washington square area is your best bet if you want artsy/creative. In addition, it’s right next to Thames Street, which is the main commercial district for Newport. As for parking, you will need a parking sticker available from the Public Services office. There are overnight parking bans during snow emergencies, however overnight parking is allowed with a sticker.

There are some RIPTA bus routes running throughout the city, however they are not as frequent as you would find them in Providence.

Rentals: I would say that the rent range for 1 bedroom is fairly wide $1,100-$1,800/month depending on the location, amenities etc. There is a good mix of apartment complexes, apartments above store fronts and multi family houses.

I wouldn’t rank the other towns (Middletown, Portsmouth) on Aquidneck Island to be higher. Bristol, Jamestown are beautiful communities, however they do not compare to Newport. Newport has a special mix of walkable downtown, history/charm, and city like amenities that the other communities lack.

I wish you all the best with your efforts to move to Newport. I would have loved it do it myself at some point in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island