Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
JayCT, please don't take offense at postings here. If I had a nickel every time I've heard Providence referred to as the "pits". Rhode Islanders and especially Providence residents see their home as something special - unfortunately occasionally at the expense of what they see as the lesser "competition". Of course, Hartford has its splendids, as well as its struggles, not at all unlike our Providence. Some would even argue that with PVD's superior historic architectural infrastructure & location near the sea, it should more clearly be New England's second city. Also, some here will find your Hartford Jobs comment especially painful. A real arrow to the heart.
Obviously my response was not directed at you or others here who did not make this comment or reply to it.

I think that Hartford gets a lot of unworthy criticism because of it crime statistics. Hartford is the dense urban core of a metropolitan area with about 1.4 million people. It includes only 17 square miles and has about 123,000 residents. It does not have a lot of the middle class suburban sections that you find in other cities so when statistics are developed, it makes the city look bad. Overall the metropolitan area has a very low rate of crime but the media tends to focus on the negative and sensationalize it. I find that annoying and inaccurate. A person walking around downtown or the West End or the South End or any one of the dozen or so nicer areas is just as safe as they would be in any major US city these days. It is when they venture into problem areas like the North End that they need to be very careful. Again I think that is true of any city.

Thanks for responding and explaining this. I do think Providence is a great city with a lot to offer. I can see the day when it becomes an affordable alternative to ever-more-expensive Boston which is great. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Drove through downtown Proivdence yesterday. Exciting times for the city as construction is going on all over. Drove past the newly opened URI/RIC school of nursing facility at former South Street Power Station. Could also see the new 6 story residential building going up nearby at 44 Hospital Street. Went by the new Wexford Technology building construction site on the former Rte 195 land. Steel superstructure is now up. Then drove down Memorial Blvd and South Main Streets passing the new Hilton Homewood Suites hotel being built by Burnside Park, the two new apartment complexes going up by the Roger Williams Memorial - Edge College Hill and the Commons at Providence Station. Got onto Rte 95 at Charles Street and passed the soon to open new WoodSpring Suites hotel on Corliss Street by the post office.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do think Providence is a great city with a lot to offer. I can see the day when it becomes an affordable alternative to ever-more-expensive Boston which is great. Jay
I understand that you might not know this, but Providence already has loads of Boston commuters and has had for decades. That's why they are building apt complexes over the Amtrak tracks.

However, is this an "affordable alternative" to Boston? The old (built in the 70s??) Regency Plaza complex rents for $1600 for 763 sq ft: $1600 / 1br - 763ft2 - One Bedroom Modern Apartment- Downtown Providence. I suppose. I'm sure the new buildings will cost more.

A small studio at "The 903" is 1425 and two bedrooms are upwards of 2000 a month.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 AM

17,713 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
However, is this an "affordable alternative" to Boston? The old (built in the 70s??) Regency Plaza complex rents for $1600 for 763 sq ft: $1600 / 1br - 763ft2 - One Bedroom Modern Apartment- Downtown Providence. I suppose. I'm sure the new buildings will cost more.

A small studio at "The 903" is 1425 and two bedrooms are upwards of 2000 a month.
Yes, very much so.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
I understand that you might not know this, but Providence already has loads of Boston commuters and has had for decades. That's why they are building apt complexes over the Amtrak tracks.

Yes, that is an affordable alternative to much of the Boston market.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:34 PM

12,842 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, that is an affordable alternative to much of the Boston market.
Yeah, a 763 sq ft 1br downtown will likely be close to double that. Probably more. Add a monthly commuter rail pass or two between Boston and PVD, and you're still saving money. That's the very definition of affordable alternative. Here's a 730 sq ft. 1br in downtown Boston. $3663. There are pricier ones out there as well.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 PM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
OK. It's good to be clear about what rents are here. Don't forget to add in monthly commuting costs.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
OK. It's good to be clear about what rents are here. Don't forget to add in monthly commuting costs.

Which are often offset, or at least done pre-tax. Plus, that commute is often work time. Two of my friends take Amtrak from Prov to Boston instead of commuter rail so they can work better while in transit and bill the hours.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 PM

198 posts, read 150,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Which are often offset, or at least done pre-tax. Plus, that commute is often work time. Two of my friends take Amtrak from Prov to Boston instead of commuter rail so they can work better while in transit and bill the hours.
and these are the type of people who will fill new high risers along the waterfront. Those who say there is no market for high risers in Providence do not understand the market. The city is ripe for these type of ventures.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:54 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
and these are the type of people who will fill new high risers along the waterfront. Those who say there is no market for high risers in Providence do not understand the market. The city is ripe for these type of ventures.
I agree. To bring the conversation back to the Tower. Draw an hour circle around Providence and there is an upmarket demographic that could fill an iconic building - a building which is something special. However, if it's unremarkable in size and of mediocre design, all bets are off. PVD could do worse than construct a signature building which tags it as ready to compete as a 21st Century City.

No comment of the string of cheap & architecturally sad hotels and apartment buildings now rising or about to rise in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island