Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:34 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Not that I'm agreeing with Planetoid (completely anyway), but it's kind of hard to enjoy cuisine and the arts if your education, opportunity and economy (aka, ability to make a living) are lacking. Appreciation of cuisine and the arts are ancillary to issues of basic well-being. Kind of sad how low RI is in those rankings, particularly with respect to MA. The differences couldn't be more stark in a general sense (however little credence you may give these kinds of rankings).

Well, thankfully RI is so small there are plenty of places to work and be paid well, and yet enjoy this culture at a reasonable price. I was priced out of Somerville, but still work in MA. Over half the people I have made friends with in Providence work in MA. Sure, it would be great if the jobs were in Providence too, but that also comes with the downside of higher prices. And I'm not sure if I agree arts are ancillary, for me and many others they are at the core of a healthy and happy life. If it wasn't for the arts/music scene, almost none of us would live in Providence. It is what, along with how cheap it is, draws people here. And since the restaurants (etc) are packed to the gills in Providence, it surely seems someone can afford it.

Last edited by timberline742; 02-15-2018 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 10,309 times
Planetoid, all due respect, but try not to be so angry. Maybe move somewhere else for a while, gain some perspective, or perhaps be happy there. There are pros and cons everywhere. I’ve lived in well over a dozen states and I know. I chose here.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:15 PM

325 posts, read 311,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahcvega View Post
Planetoid, all due respect, but try not to be so angry. Maybe move somewhere else for a while, gain some perspective, or perhaps be happy there. There are pros and cons everywhere. I’ve lived in well over a dozen states and I know. I chose here.
Thanks, I appreciate your courtesy. Couple of wrong assumptions though. I don't live in Rhode Island and I'm not angry. Though don't get me started on Bill Buckner.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:37 AM

164 posts, read 125,202 times
Just put him on the "ignore" list and he goes bye bye

Old 02-19-2018, 10:40 PM

61 posts, read 61,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, thankfully RI is so small there are plenty of places to work and be paid well, and yet enjoy this culture at a reasonable price. I was priced out of Somerville, but still work in MA. Over half the people I have made friends with in Providence work in MA. Sure, it would be great if the jobs were in Providence too, but that also comes with the downside of higher prices. And I'm not sure if I agree arts are ancillary, for me and many others they are at the core of a healthy and happy life. If it wasn't for the arts/music scene, almost none of us would live in Providence. It is what, along with how cheap it is, draws people here. And since the restaurants (etc) are packed to the gills in Providence, it surely seems someone can afford it.
I'm thinking of giving RI a shot maybe. I'd move from NH but then again someone like me might see it as a breath of fresh air.. higher italian population, good music scene as some say, arts but does some of it spread out away from the city core as well? Because obviously I wouldnt be living downtown anywhere USA. I do feel I'd fit in better than I do in uppity NH. And more than likely 2 or 3x better for someone on a fixed income.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNH View Post
I'm thinking of giving RI a shot maybe. I'd move from NH but then again someone like me might see it as a breath of fresh air.. higher italian population, good music scene as some say, arts but does some of it spread out away from the city core as well? Because obviously I wouldnt be living downtown anywhere USA. I do feel I'd fit in better than I do in uppity NH. And more than likely 2 or 3x better for someone on a fixed income.

I'm not sure why you say obviously you wouldn't be living downtown, plenty of people do, but that said, Providence is a small city and yes, much of the arts isn't in the downtown core. That's true of most cities, because the core is too pricey for many of the artists to work and show and perform in.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 PM

61 posts, read 61,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not sure why you say obviously you wouldn't be living downtown, plenty of people do, but that said, Providence is a small city and yes, much of the arts isn't in the downtown core. That's true of most cities, because the core is too pricey for many of the artists to work and show and perform in.
Good point as well, its not like times past when cities had some cheap parts of the downtown core. I'll either look at Providence or outlying areas. I see it as a good possible alternative to NH and Cape Cod for someone like me. I'm not an artist but I am a could have been artist or a singer songwriter.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:07 PM

4,378 posts, read 3,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
Another politician's dream. And exhibit A why Rhode Island will always be the Bottom State. Holy cow!
Since you know that, why do you go on....and on....and on creating new posts to complain and then replying to them yourself?

You believe it's pointless yet you prove your insanity by doing it over and over again.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 PM

325 posts, read 311,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Since you know that, why do you go on....and on....and on creating new posts to complain and then replying to them yourself?

You believe it's pointless yet you prove your insanity by doing it over and over again.
Since I know what? What's pointless? I've noticed from your posts, that you have a very scattered approach to writing. Try to focus.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 PM

4,378 posts, read 3,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
Since I know what? What's pointless? I've noticed from your posts, that you have a very scattered approach to writing. Try to focus.
Against, my better judgment, I'll reply.

You said RI will always be the bottom state because Rhode Islanders will never change. What, then, are you trying to accomplish by continually posting to harangue them about how bad they are, when you are clear on the fact that nothing you will say will change a thing?

Why not just leave people be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island