U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 AM

2,661 posts, read 1,668,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin-jcg View Post
Thank you all for your advice and perspectives. Our budget at 350k is already with an increase. Because our property taxes will be doubled and we must plan for additional expenses (winter upkeep, a better car, and new travel needs), we cannot increase again.
I am grateful for the realtor advice and we will attempt to contact one this week. We have booked a trip in mid April in hopes of finding and purchasing our home. Your insights have been invaluable. With all the research and new vocabulary I’ve needed for your responses, this move is already an exciting challenge and chapter. Thank you kindly.
Best of luck! It's my guess you'll find a great place to live & do just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:26 AM

15,579 posts, read 8,397,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Foster & Glocester are genuine "country". They had been, up until the last 60-70 years, hardscrabble rocky farmland which has now reforested. Because of the ledge, water table & wetlands, these two towns will unlikely ever to be suburban. Again, others may disagree with my unsympathetic take on northern & inland RI, but it's the best description I can honestly summons when the subject of character is introduced.
It's more that it's pathetic road infrastructure to the jobs. If Rhode Island hadn't killed I-84 as the Hartford/Providence interstate highway years ago, you could realistically live in the northwest corner of the state and get to a decent paying job. I drive on 44/101/6 all the time. It's pathetic. Connecticut started building I-84 to Providence and then abandoned the project when RI refused to build their part back in the 1970s. That monument to the national embarrassment known as Rhode Island is now called I-684 and dead ends after 5 miles.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:19 PM

7,148 posts, read 11,486,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's more that it's pathetic road infrastructure to the jobs. If Rhode Island hadn't killed I-84 as the Hartford/Providence interstate highway years ago, you could realistically live in the northwest corner of the state and get to a decent paying job. I drive on 44/101/6 all the time. It's pathetic. Connecticut started building I-84 to Providence and then abandoned the project when RI refused to build their part back in the 1970s. That monument to the national embarrassment known as Rhode Island is now called I-684 and dead ends after 5 miles.
Strongly disagree. There are few truly rural areas left in RI. Foster & Glocester happen to be a few towns still quite rural. To expand that highway from Ct would have meant running either right up to or through some very old homesteads. I fully respect the desire of rural residents NOT to want expanded highways or to become developed suburbia.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:29 PM

7,148 posts, read 11,486,721 times
Quote:
Thank you all again for your replies and advice. We are continuing to look at homes in other towns as more and more seem to be going on the market. We have found options in both Tiverton and East Greenwich that are near the water. My husband knows very little about these towns and although we visit often, he hasn’t lived in RI for 20 years. Are these areas that you would recommend for a family?
During our last visit, we drive through much of the area southwest of the city. I wasn’t particularly fond of Coventry, as I felt it was too rural. However, without question the homes are more affordable there. Perhaps there is a charming village or town that I missed?
Independent Man, I do understand your reference to Sense of Place and this is important to me. This feeling is strong in the coastal towns, but if buying a home near the water isn’t possible for us, I would still like to find it, even if the experience is different. We are coming from a suburban area without history or character. To move so far and to such a unique and charming state, only to recreate our same atmosphere would be a shame. We do not want to move again. I hope to find a true place to call home and be a part of the community. With this in mind, would you still recommend Cumberland, Scituate, Lincoln, Smithfield and Kingston? I have added Foster and Glocester to the list. (Funny, I always thought this was one town, Foster-Glocester, because of how often people put them together.)
Tiverton is very nice, especially central and south Tiverton. North Tiverton borders Fall River, which you may or may not find desirable. East Greenwich has more of a town and is generally desired for the schools.

If you found Coventry rural, you will probably also find Foster & Glocester rural, however the school systems are pretty good.

I don't find very many places in RI at all "without history or character"- some would complain we have way too much "character".

Old 03-19-2018, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,305 times
Quote:
Dear Rhode Islanders,
I am a German/American mother to triplet 10 year old boys. We currently live outside of Atlanta and will be moving to my husband’s home state of Rhode Island. We are hoping to find a home in Lincoln, Cumberland, Scituate, Smithfield or Kingston. Our move will be at the end of May.
This move is our own decision as we have never felt at home in the south. My husband works from home and has been approved to relocate. We have visited the state several times and have always enjoyed it. We are aware of the high taxes and most pros/cons. Everything was considered before our decision. To move or not to move is not my question, nor is which areas we should consider-although I’m happy to hear any suggestions.
I am requesting advice on a different matter: when I research the opinions of people who grew up/live in Rhode Island, it’s often very positive. The towns are lovely and most residents are happy. I often hear that everybody knows everybody and it sounds like many communities are tight knit. As a newcomer, I feel worried that it will be difficult to make friends. I am kind and easy going, but it must be difficult to break into a circle of friends that have been close for many years. There also seems to be very few Germans that live in the state. I hope my sons (they too have German citizenship and speak the language) and I will be accepted. My husband has wonderful friends that he grew up with. These men (oddly, all single) are very good to me and I’m happy that I will have them. Yet, I would like to make my own friendships as well. I hoped that the state offered a meeting or orientation of some sort for new residents but cannot find anything on line. Can you please advise the common reaction to newcomers? Are residents welcoming to new people? My sons and I are a bit nervous about being unable to make connections. We plan to stay in Rhode Island indefinitely. Will we fit in and be accepted in communities that already have such established relationships? Perhaps someone knows of a club or organization that would offer the opportunity for introductions?
I was a police officer until my pregnancy and now only work/volunteer part time. I will be starting from scratch after the move, but will not return to law enforcement. I am private and keep a distance from work colleagues (perhaps due to the field I was in) so I am hopeful in meeting others outside of a work environment.
I would appreciate any advice (or a heads up) on acceptance. Thank you kindly.
Congratulations on your decision to move in. Pretty much good for you that you have decided to shift even after knowing about the cost factors(High Tax) and so called less-livelihood pleasures compared to other glamorous cities in the east. I moved from Texas 8 months ago to RI and I did the similar research, so I could understand your excitement/anxiety to some extent.
Ok, choosing a place to set up your home is more important when it comes to RI. Rhode Island has few towns which are notorious and equally seem ill-developed considering bad transport facilities to name. Hence, go for those places where your triple-blessing can enjoy some valuable schooling plus live in a neighborhood with safe and peaceful environment.
I would suggest Lincoln and Johnston as my top pick for you for obvious reasons. You have some wonderful apartments in these areas with good amenities. Also there are good weekend spots like the famous Lincoln Woods State Park which would be the best place to barbecue with your family. There is a Lincoln Mall around the corner as well. Johnston has its own benefits with some big shopping complexes. You pretty much can find any store here in Johnston comparatively. Least to mention, both these are the best school towns in RI.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 472 times
Default Move to Mass

Do your family a big favor, move to Mass. The politics is cleaner, taxes will be less, better schools, no tolls, less hidden costs like high registration and license fees, etc You can access anything in RI without the bad politicians affecting your lives. The insider dealing in RI are second to none. Check the taxes in the towns you are considering, and expect them to double in 10 to 12 years. More people are leaving RI than moving there, Hmmmm I wonder why??

Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 AM

36,656 posts, read 26,488,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlfromRI View Post
Do your family a big favor, move to Mass. The politics is cleaner, taxes will be less, better schools, no tolls, less hidden costs like high registration and license fees, etc You can access anything in RI without the bad politicians affecting your lives. The insider dealing in RI are second to none. Check the taxes in the towns you are considering, and expect them to double in 10 to 12 years. More people are leaving RI than moving there, Hmmmm I wonder why??

Where are there tolls in RI other than the Newport bridge? They're budget will go much further in RI than MA. Most people I know (like I) moved to RI for the cheaper COL.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 AM

5,477 posts, read 2,110,518 times
Massachusetts has far more tolls than RI. The only toll in RI for residents is the Newport Bridge. MA has tolls all along the 138 mile Massachusetts Turnpike and at several bridges and tunnels around Boston (Mystic-Tobin Bridge, Callahan, Sumner, and Ted Williams tunnels).

Old 04-04-2018, 09:07 AM

6,403 posts, read 2,017,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlfromRI View Post
Hey Carl, ever hear of the Mass Pike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where are there tolls in RI other than the Newport bridge? They're budget will go much further in RI than MA. Most people I know (like I) moved to RI for the cheaper COL.
Nowhere.

(There will be tolls in RI for trucks soon. A lot of them. Again, trucks only.)

Old 04-10-2018, 08:28 PM

22 posts, read 8,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It wasn't that straightforward (though I share your lament every time I drive the same route you mention). Here's a good summary:
From Hartford to Providence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or