Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times

Advertisements

I am starting to think about considering a move to RI for some personal reasons with my family. Nothing is set in stone, I'm just starting to think about what this would mean in terms of a lifestyle change for me and my family if that is a move we decided to make.

Currently, something that is very important to me is my commute to work. I bike to work, and the trip consists mostly of a combination of protected and unprotected cycle tracks/lanes (in other words, I have my own lane, either barrier separated or not). The city I'm in now is constantly expanding the cycling infrastructure, and the cycling community is growing exponentially as a result. Bike commuting has been a major quality of life issue for me - it's improved my health (both physical and mental), and allowed me to be home in time to spend time with my family. The other quality of life issue my family would be hesitant to give up is the feeling of being part of a growing community. Currently, we live in an area where we can walk to parks, and there are many free events in the parks for families (music, farmers markets, movies in the park, etc.). There are lots of kids that are toddler aged, so think young family type of environment. We really enjoy the active and engaged community, and that's something we'd hope to be a part of wherever we live.

Given a budget of up to $450,000 and 3/2 size house, are there any communities in RI that would be recommended to maintain a similar quality of life as that described above? The assumption is I'd be working in Providence, or at least very close to Providence. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
^^^ Barrington or East Greenwich.

You can pretty much forget the 'biking to work' part though.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Thanks! I'll take a look. The other thing I forgot to mention is we definitely tend to like a more urban lifestyle vibe. Not high-rise living type urban, I mean quality of life stuff - not relying on driving everywhere (even if I do have to drive to work) type environment. When I say events in the park, we walk there. Walkable to restaurants/stores, etc. Although, I know this might be difficult to find in RI, so if we did make the move we'll have to make some compromises.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:15 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

He could bike to work if he was living in Barrington and working in Providence.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:18 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Thanks! I'll take a look. The other thing I forgot to mention is we definitely tend to like a more urban lifestyle vibe. Not high-rise living type urban, I mean quality of life stuff - not relying on driving everywhere (even if I do have to drive to work) type environment. When I say events in the park, we walk there. Walkable to restaurants/stores, etc. Although, I know this might be difficult to find in RI, so if we did make the move we'll have to make some compromises.

What you want is the east side of Providence. Your budget isn't high enough though.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:18 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Providence sounds like a good option for you. Providing you work in the city, there are neighborhoods where your budget would fit and biking to and from downtown is possible. Your $450k budget will go a long way in the Elmhurst neighborhood. You might be able to find something in the Armory/West Broadway neighborhood also. Elmhurst being somewhat suburban and the Armory more urban. The Armory District is a short 5 minute bike ride to downtown while Elmhurst could take 15-20 minutes on a busy day. The East Side of Providence is also an option, but your budget would likely only get you something small or a fixer upper around the edges. Driving to work opens up Barrington, E. Providence, Warren & Bristol where many bike for recreation along the bike path.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:30 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Here are the bike paths in RI- lots of possibilities... with the East Bay bike path probably the best choice. Independent Man made a good comment about just biking for recreation.

You have young children (?) so will they go to public school? That's another issue! Your growing community comment is interesting- in Ri that would probably translate to "revitalizing" community. We're pretty grown up already.

https://www.traillink.com/stateactivity/ri-bike-trails/

Bike Rhode Island - Rhode Island Rhode Island Department of Transportation

Last edited by Hollytree; 07-13-2018 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Providence is also steadily expanding its bicycle infrastructure. A few streets have had conventional on-street lanes for several years, but the standard has evolved into parking-protected bike lanes or buffered bike lanes with flex posts where there is no parking. The Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee reviews all City paving projects and makes recommendations. Greater City Providence is good site to check out for articles on bike infrastructure around the city.

Depending on how long you would commute by bike, it is possible from parts of East Providence, Barrington, Warren, and Bristol, as the East Bay Bike Path (rail-trail) travels 14.5 miles from Providence through those communities along the east side of Narragansett Bay. Once in Providence, you would have another mile and a half of on-street biking to get to downtown. Buses here are also equipped with bike racks.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Here are the bike paths in RI- lots of possibilities... with the East Bay bike path probably the best choice. Independent Man made a good comment about just biking for recreation.

You have young children (?) so will they go to public school? That's another issue! Your growing community comment is interesting- in Ri that would probably translate to "revitalizing" community. We're pretty grown up already.
Yes, they will be going to public school, so definitely something we'll be factoring into the equation. Although we're not at all into "Greatschools.com" type ratings, which I think are very skewed by demographics. We would be more likely to talk to parents at any school and see what they think about it, as well as visit the schools, before making a decision. You're right though, I shouldn't have said "growing community". We do live in an area now that would be considered revitalized (although we moved in while it was still revitalizing), but by growing, I meant that there are still lots of growing families. In other words, a place with lots of young families around our age and our children's ages, or families moving in.

Thank you for the links regarding the bike paths, this is great! I do really enjoy biking being built into my daily routine and the lifestyle that it brings, but if I have to just do it for recreation, so be it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Providence sounds like a good option for you. Providing you work in the city, there are neighborhoods where your budget would fit and biking to and from downtown is possible. Your $450k budget will go a long way in the Elmhurst neighborhood. You might be able to find something in the Armory/West Broadway neighborhood also. Elmhurst being somewhat suburban and the Armory more urban. The Armory District is a short 5 minute bike ride to downtown while Elmhurst could take 15-20 minutes on a busy day. The East Side of Providence is also an option, but your budget would likely only get you something small or a fixer upper around the edges. Driving to work opens up Barrington, E. Providence, Warren & Bristol where many bike for recreation along the bike path.
Thank you, Elmhurst has been recommended to me as well, so we'll take more of a look in that area. I was thinking maybe around PC as well? I really love the Armory/West Broadway area, but I was under the impression that it's more college aged students than families - what do you think? The bike times sound perfect if I do get a job in Providence - do people in RI bike commute at all? Is it something you see and would consider safe? I know there aren't many bike lanes, and the ones I've seen don't seem to be in areas where they are most needed (I've seen them on side roads that aren't very busy, as opposed to main roads where they would be needed). We may have to open up the search and consider driving, and just biking for recreation, unfortunately.

Thanks everybody for your responses!

Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Providence is also steadily expanding its bicycle infrastructure. A few streets have had conventional on-street lanes for several years, but the standard has evolved into parking-protected bike lanes or buffered bike lanes with flex posts where there is no parking. The Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee reviews all City paving projects and makes recommendations. Greater City Providence is good site to check out for articles on bike infrastructure around the city.

Depending on how long you would commute by bike, it is possible from parts of East Providence, Barrington, Warren, and Bristol, as the East Bay Bike Path (rail-trail) travels 14.5 miles from Providence through those communities along the east side of Narragansett Bay. Once in Providence, you would have another mile and a half of on-street biking to get to downtown. Buses here are also equipped with bike racks.
Excellent information, thank you! Do you see people biking for their commute often, or do people mainly bike for recreation? With the increased infrastructure, have you noticed any uptick in people making biking a real transportation alternative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island