Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:07 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

If you want a coastal area with great scenery that is outsider friendly and has a healthy political mix, then San Diego should be on your long term list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
It's important to separate the coast from inland. Most of RI coastal property is generally more expensive than the Camden area, except for the village. Go a couple miles inland out of the village and the Camden area becomes an even bigger bargain than RI. The Mass cape on the other hand is still more expensive than most of RI, except for perhaps much of Newport, Jamestown, Little Compton & Block Island. I wouldn't want a medical emergency in Camden.

That's why I suggested places like Belfast, Rockland or Bath. Camden is lovely, but it comes up short on the affordability and varied demographic requirements. Those local mid-coast hospitals would be plenty adequate in an emergency, but yes you would need (or at least be better off) to travel to Portland or Bangor for anything major. If you need to do something regular (like cancer treatment) that can become a real challenge.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 PM

46 posts, read 52,642 times
Hey All,

Thank you for your posts and I got some good insights from it all. This has spurred me to since revisit some of the areas that I originally checked out and I plan to revisit the rest, including the “liberal” east side.

The other conclusion I personally made from these responses is that what I am really missing here is a sense of belonging; I simply feel like I don’t. I am not going to write out “why” in this post and I am sure some of you will speculate as to “why but I will say that while not all of it is about Providence, a chunk of it is. The point being, I have a good sense of “why” and now need to figure out if I want to make more of an effort here in Providence or try moving further south towards East Greenwich and hope that it is more to my liking or pack up and leave New England – Ft Lauderdale/Boca/W. Palm.

Now that I have some experience of living here as a point of reference; I went back and read through some older postings and found others that have better captured some of what I sense about the culture here. HollyTree captures it well in this post:

Providence is a rather divided city. Those who live in the college communities tend to be quite progressive- specifically East Siders and those around Providence College and RI College. There are also large pockets of similar types downtown and in the arts district. These are mostly the ones who patronize the museums and theatre, etc. The rest of the city is working poor, blue collar, verging on welfare neighborhoods. Many pockets of recent (and many) illegal immigrants. So yes, there is much vibrancy and much urban revival but also sharp contrasts in the city.

“Sharp contrasts” is spot on; fragmented and incongruent also apply. This is Providence and it is hard to find a foothold if you are not from here.

In response to Independent man; “The reality is the OP doesn't seem to like anything.” Your ad hominem attack is a solid display of the underlying down-trodden vibe I and others have described. Again, this is Providence!

A post from the voiceofreazon has already addressed my thoughts;
“There is a theme here of viewing the state through rose colored glasses and the forum has been hijacked by a few vocal "cheerleaders" who will disparage anyone who dares raise a criticism of Rhode Island. It's as if their opinion of the state is somehow threatened by a more critical viewpoint.
. . . If I were planning to move here, I'd want to make an informed decision and hear both sides of the issue.”

I have lots of nice things to say about RI, but I simply cannot find where I belong in the picture (at least not yet). Anecdotally, I have met a good number of native Rhode Islanders that asked me why in the world I would want to move to PVD as if I were a fool. Further, I have talked to other transplants of which 50% said this was the best move they ever made and 50% said biggest mistake they ever made.

So, thanks for the constructive feedback and I will update as I move along.

Lastly, be nice; I am just a guy who got divorced and trying to find my next place in life; these posts are an attempt to get clarity on my perceptions (even if you think they are way off), nothing more.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:42 PM

17,717 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepoint128 View Post
In response to Independent man; “The reality is the OP doesn't seem to like anything.” Your ad hominem attack is a solid display of the underlying down-trodden vibe I and others have described. Again, this is Providence!
Independent man does not represent Providence. I doubt he even lives in RI.

Hollytree is correct that it is a divided city. If you choose the wrong area, you won't be happy.

Frankly, other than a few select areas (which are great), Providence has really gone downhill. Yet there have been many great improvements. That probably doesn't make sense but I think it appropriately describes the city.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I went to a Thai restaurant about a mile from where I live off Broad St that got very good reviews. As I approached the fence-laced building and looked around the area, I thought I was in the ‘hood. The food was fine and the service nice and the restaurant packed, but I would be very cautious about walking out that door after dark.

You live off Broad St? Or that's where the Thai restaurant is?

Where are you living? You had said downtown.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Hey All,

Thank you for your posts and I got some good insights from it all. This has spurred me to since revisit some of the areas that I originally checked out and I plan to revisit the rest, including the “liberal” east side.

The other conclusion I personally made from these responses is that what I am really missing here is a sense of belonging; I simply feel like I don’t. I am not going to write out “why” in this post and I am sure some of you will speculate as to “why but I will say that while not all of it is about Providence, a chunk of it is. The point being, I have a good sense of “why” and now need to figure out if I want to make more of an effort here in Providence or try moving further south towards East Greenwich and hope that it is more to my liking or pack up and leave New England – Ft Lauderdale/Boca/W. Palm.

Now that I have some experience of living here as a point of reference; I went back and read through some older postings and found others that have better captured some of what I sense about the culture here. HollyTree captures it well in this post:

Providence is a rather divided city. Those who live in the college communities tend to be quite progressive- specifically East Siders and those around Providence College and RI College. There are also large pockets of similar types downtown and in the arts district. These are mostly the ones who patronize the museums and theatre, etc. The rest of the city is working poor, blue collar, verging on welfare neighborhoods. Many pockets of recent (and many) illegal immigrants. So yes, there is much vibrancy and much urban revival but also sharp contrasts in the city.

“Sharp contrasts” is spot on; fragmented and incongruent also apply. This is Providence and it is hard to find a foothold if you are not from here.

A post from the voiceofreazon has already addressed my thoughts;
“There is a theme here of viewing the state through rose colored glasses and the forum has been hijacked by a few vocal "cheerleaders" who will disparage anyone who dares raise a criticism of Rhode Island. It's as if their opinion of the state is somehow threatened by a more critical viewpoint.
. . . If I were planning to move here, I'd want to make an informed decision and hear both sides of the issue.”

I have lots of nice things to say about RI, but I simply cannot find where I belong in the picture (at least not yet). Anecdotally, I have met a good number of native Rhode Islanders that asked me why in the world I would want to move to PVD as if I were a fool. Further, I have talked to other transplants of which 50% said this was the best move they ever made and 50% said biggest mistake they ever made.

So, thanks for the constructive feedback and I will update as I move along.

Lastly, be nice; I am just a guy who got divorced and trying to find my next place in life; these posts are an attempt to get clarity on my perceptions (even if you think they are way off), nothing more.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. You seem to be making an honest attempt to find out where you fit in best. Likely, you'll never find the perfect place, but maybe just a good place will do. Coming as an outsider, I have now lived in Rhode Island for most of the last 30 years. Except for perhaps the climate, I like it & it works for me. Good luck on finding what works for you.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:16 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Independent man does not represent Providence. I doubt he even lives in RI.

Hollytree is correct that it is a divided city. If you choose the wrong area, you won't be happy.

Frankly, other than a few select areas (which are great), Providence has really gone downhill. Yet there have been many great improvements. That probably doesn't make sense but I think it appropriately describes the city.
Your constant attempts to personally disparage me are off base & unnecessary. First, you posit I must be an "investor" in neighborhoods I happen to know & like. And, now you doubt I even live in Rhode Island?? I get it, you're not a fan of diversity, but if you avoid the personal attacks, your arguments would likely sound better. I live in RI now & have lived all over the state in the past almost 30 years. I represent my honest viewpoint, whether you like it or not. No more, no less.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I get it, you're not a fan of diversity,
You get nothing. And it's rather pathetic that you always seem to feel the need to suggest that others are racist when you get called out for your irresponsible posts.

Nobody who has lived in RI for 30 years would lump together East Greenwich and West Warwick.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:28 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Hey All,

If you are thinking you'd fit in better in the Ft Lauderdale area, then I think you should go. These areas couldn't be more disparate from our fair city. For the record, I once lived in Ft Lauderdale. I found it to be a flat and rather souless beach community flooded by beer guzzling students every spring and pretty much devoid of culture. But that's my personal outlook- you may find it to your taste.

Providence is not a place where everyone is going to find a niche. But unlike another poster said, it's not deteriorating at all, it's improving! The arts community is burgeoning and building is proceeding non stop.
India Pt has been transformed and the west side is continuing to improve. People who like lots of food and restaurant choices and lack of chain outlets (more bohemian and intellectual types) will like it here- many others won't. If you like everything new including your housing, you'll hate it here. If you love history, you'll find more than you can take in.

I think you should check out the east side. If you don't like it, then do consider Florida. I wish you the very best of luck in finding where you feel you belong. Very important for all of us.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
But unlike another poster said, it's not deteriorating at all, it's improving!
That's not what I said. I said it's going downhill and improving - both are happening at the same time.

Have you been to the Wanskuck / Charles area recently?

Have you been to the Valley / Mt Pleasant (not RIC part) area recently?

If you have, please tell me how these areas are improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island