Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:57 AM

3,776 posts, read 2,679,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not a fan of HRC (at all!), but why wouldn't she be supported? She was eminently qualified: U.S. Senator, Secretary of State, some White House/DC experience, legal background. She might have been the most qualified, on paper, candidates ever. Supporting her shows sound judgment.
Many would start by identifying the corrupt process within the DNC that fixed Clinton's nomination. Endorsement of her tacitly endorses that corruption.

Quote:
Um, the Republicans have the majority in both houses. The Dems aren't obstructing and have no power to obstruct anything. Unfortunately, as its led to a horrible fiscal situation, and person and environmental tragedies uncounted.
The third paragraph of my post was poorly worded. Maybe obstruct isn't the right verb; While the Democrats don't have the power to stop a coalesced Republican party, they certainly can slow them down. They do have power, just not as much as the Republicans. BTW, I generally view gridlock as a good thing regardless of the party in control... There is a lack of civility on both sides of the aisle, and a failure to acknowledge any positive actions of the other side. I expect better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 AM

8,056 posts, read 4,681,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You don't tolerate personal attacks only when they're directed at you.

However, you find it OK to say that I "still show little understanding of how municipal finances work" based on your fantasy assessments of my understanding.

You are obviously for Fung. That is your right of course. I wouldn't vote for him.

And how am I defending or unaware Providence's high taxes? I basically said it wouldn't pay me to move to Cranston taxwise. Stop promoting false memes and putting words in other's mouths.
Personal attacks by trolls come & go here. Try to outlast them. Too many others can't be bothered & just leave the forum.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Many would start by identifying the corrupt process within the DNC that fixed Clinton's nomination. Endorsement of her tacitly endorses that corruption.

Eh, I don't care for her as a candidate, but one cannot expect a private organization, the Democratic National Party, to be supporting a non-Democratic candidate.

Just as the RNC worked hard to keep Trump out. It's only that the RNC wasn't successful.

Still, there isn't any real doubt that HRC would have been nominated, IMO.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:02 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Not necessarily so. Charlie Baker, a Republican, and one of the most popular governors in the nation, doesn't support Trump or many of his hateful policies.

If enforcing the law is what you mean as hateful, well Baker is "officially" against sanctuary cities, etc. He doesn't necessarily practice what he preaches on that or anything else, which is why a very little known candidate with zero support of his party and almost no funding, was able to take 35% of the vote away from this "most popular governor" in America. Baker is a RINO if there ever was one, absolutely nothing "Republican" about the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Governor Baker's opposition to Trump probably has gained him 10 points in additional popularity in Massachusetts.

Uh, no.

Quote:
I need a third party. I expect that I won't be voting for a gubernatorial candidate. None of the candidates are qualified.

How is Fung not qualified? He was mayor for 10 years. Some of the most successful governors of all time were previously mayors.

Quote:
I agree with you that Allan Fung should not be solely judged by his support of Trump. Nor should Raimondo be solely judged by her support of Hillary Clinton. But their support does say something about their judgment, about their character. Country before party, always. Both these mainstream candidates have that backwards, as so many do these days.

I don't think there is a default position for a Republican in the age of a Trump presidency. There have been prominent national Republicans who have denounced Trump. He has essentially hijacked the Republican Party. Like him or loathe him, I think you have to at least recognize that. And locally, I'm not sure that RI Republicans compel Allan Fung to support Trump; Rhode Island Republicans aren't exactly the same breed as those outside New England... It's not as if Mass. Gov. Baker did anything heroic or outlandish by not supporting Trump.

On the other hand: I've never been a fan of Trump, but I think the Democrats are over the top in obstructing everything he does or giving him credit in those narrow corners where they agree. Characteristically, Raimondo has played the party line here for lack of her own vision. It's a rare occurrence when party leaders act like statesmen who could be civil to the opposition, to find common ground and put country before party. We continue to sink lower and lower.

I agree that this type of partisanship and blind loyalty comes at a great cost. I also hold great respect for those who break with their own party, if for the right reasons of course (Baker is not one of those). But we have to be realistic in that if we disqualify all politicians who fail that test, that eliminates well just about all of them. Politicians will be politicians.

For the record, I usually do 3rd party or write-ins in the presidential election. But I still do think Fung would be good for RI.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of HRC (at all!), but why wouldn't she be supported? She was eminently qualified: U.S. Senator, Secretary of State, some White House/DC experience, legal background. She might have been the most qualified, on paper, candidates ever. Supporting her shows sound judgment.

Supporting one who is a liar, crook, and who let 4 Americans die; is not sound judgement any day of the week.

Quote:
Um, the Republicans have the majority in both houses. The Dems aren't obstructing and have no power to obstruct anything. Unfortunately, as its led to a horrible fiscal situation, and person and environmental tragedies uncounted.

Two words boss, LIZ WARREN.

Quote:
You don't tolerate personal attacks only when they're directed at you.

However, you find it OK to say that I "still show little understanding of how municipal finances work" based on your fantasy assessments of my understanding.

You are obviously for Fung. That is your right of course. I wouldn't vote for him.

And how am I defending or unaware Providence's high taxes? I basically said it wouldn't pay me to move to Cranston taxwise. Stop promoting false memes and putting words in other's mouths.

Taxes paid on X house in Providence vs. X house in Cranston (an example you chose to post) is totally irrelevant to the topic. That you don't understand that speaks for itself, it's not a personal attack at all.

Quote:
According to Fox news............. and most who voted against Obama did not do so because he was black.

Grow up.

Last edited by massnative71; 09-21-2018 at 05:33 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 02:33 AM

72 posts, read 53,450 times
So Ive lived in Cranston for over 30 years now. It really is a city on the decline. Any discussion on Cranston has to be divided into east and west. Im sure west is fine with it being more rural and wealthier but the demographic shift has really effected the eastern part. Dont know if its Fung's fault or not because I know republicans aren't good on tougher immigration just like the dems aren't. It seems to be more slower and gradual. For example, when I went to Cranston East over 20 years ago, it was overwhelming caucasian. Not too long ago, I read a stat that its down to 40 something percent caucasian. Thats a dramatic shift in less than 25 years time. I only suspect it will keep getting lower and lower as more latinos and less caucasians move in the area. Its not Pawtucket yet but its getting there. I think we'll see the more and more caucasian familes left in eastern Cranston send their kids to Cranston West HS. Its always been a better school overall anyway. If youre a caucasian looking to raise a family in Cranston I wouldnt recommend it unless you all speak Spanish

Old 09-22-2018, 04:32 AM

8,056 posts, read 4,681,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzoftheweek View Post
So Ive lived in Cranston for over 30 years now. It really is a city on the decline. Any discussion on Cranston has to be divided into east and west. Im sure west is fine with it being more rural and wealthier but the demographic shift has really effected the eastern part. Dont know if its Fung's fault or not because I know republicans aren't good on tougher immigration just like the dems aren't. It seems to be more slower and gradual. For example, when I went to Cranston East over 20 years ago, it was overwhelming caucasian. Not too long ago, I read a stat that its down to 40 something percent caucasian. Thats a dramatic shift in less than 25 years time. I only suspect it will keep getting lower and lower as more latinos and less caucasians move in the area. Its not Pawtucket yet but its getting there. I think we'll see the more and more caucasian familes left in eastern Cranston send their kids to Cranston West HS. Its always been a better school overall anyway. If youre a caucasian looking to raise a family in Cranston I wouldnt recommend it unless you all speak Spanish
I can only suggest that residents of Edgewood & Pawtuxet Village might disagree with some of these broad generalizations. These two eastern Cranston neighborhoods are considered by many people, I know, as the only places in Cranston they would live. As for public schools, neither East or West are top tier.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzoftheweek View Post

The long term decline of Eastern Cranston has been going on for at least 20 or 30 years, mostly due to the spillover from South Providence. Don't think it's really fair to blame Fung or any other one mayor for that matter, it's a symptom of RI's decline as a whole and erosion of the lower middle class.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I can only suggest that residents of Edgewood & Pawtuxet Village might disagree with some of these broad generalizations. These two eastern Cranston neighborhoods are considered by many people, I know, as the only places in Cranston they would live. As for public schools, neither East or West are top tier.

I wouldn't live in either with kids. Edgewood (the northern end anyway) rubs shoulders too closely with some pretty bleak areas of Providence.

Western Cranston is definitely better for schools.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:07 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Quote:
Personal attacks by trolls come & go here. Try to outlast them. Too many others can't be bothered & just leave the forum.
Sadly, you're absolutely right. We've had some great posters who are no longer bothering since we've been so overcome by certain bullies that it becomes difficult to have reasoned discussions. Sigh. Thanks for reminding me not to feed the trolls.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:24 AM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The long term decline of Eastern Cranston has been going on for at least 20 or 30 years, mostly due to the spillover from South Providence.
...and Silver Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island