Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times

Advertisements

I see RI as Boston's less glamorous, rougher , forgotten cousin.The difference between style conscious NYers and rough around the edges RI'ers is insane to me . I just love the " realness" LOL.

I will be taking a trip to RI for 3 days and want to see some culture. I've been to Newport ( its OK but uptight) . I plan on just driving a around , eating at some "local" spots and just take in the scenery ( if any). I will have a car

What can you tell me about Providence, Pawtucket, Cranston and surrounding areas ?

Any local foods or takeout spots ??

**I used to live in Boston and frequent Newport and do not want to visit there**

What are your local gems in Providence ?

I am also interested in ethnic neighborhoods and where they are located

Thanks for any info !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 PM

17,672 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Try Los Andes on Chalkstone Ave in Providence. If you're planning to eat there, make a reservation. It's packed every night. You can get takeout also. Not the greatest neighborhood and it doesn't look impressive from the outside, but well worth it.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Los Andes is good, never needed a reservation even on a Friday, personally, but usually when I go with people we sit at the bar. But it is well worth it. Neighborhood is fine.

North (new location downtown) is great. Haven't been to what they opened in the old location, but I bet its great.

Bucktown for fries/fried chicken type stuff if you want stuff like that. It's near Long Live Beer works, who makes good stuff, which is also next to Slow Rhode (pretty good cocktails, small plates, pretty good burger). On other side of Bucktown is The Avery which is a nice bar.

El Rancho Grande is where I generally end up for Mexican.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:01 AM

3 posts, read 2,128 times
Take 95 South....to route 4 S and experience South County. South County is mostly comprised of the towns south of the rt1/138 intersection (the towers). Google Charlestown Rathskellar.....excellent food ....bartenders are great.....tucked away in the woods. If you like hoytey toid.....go to "the wall" in Narragansett. Can't beat The Coast Guard House. The BEST of RI is in "South County".......and I was born in Pawtucket the bucket.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 PM

17,672 posts, read 9,155,986 times
If the OP wants to go deep in the woods of South County, might as well go to the Nordic Lodge. A true RI experience he/she won't forget.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:17 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I see RI as Boston's less glamorous, rougher , forgotten cousin.The difference between style conscious NYers and rough around the edges RI'ers is insane to me . I just love the " realness" LOL.

I will be taking a trip to RI for 3 days and want to see some culture. I've been to Newport ( its OK but uptight) . I plan on just driving a around , eating at some "local" spots and just take in the scenery ( if any). I will have a car

What can you tell me about Providence, Pawtucket, Cranston and surrounding areas ?
If I understand what you're looking for (and I'm not sure I do so I'm guessing) but maybe you could drive around Olneyville, West Warwick, Pawtucket, Woonsocket. A lot of working artists in these areas. Easy to find restaurant recs online. The west side of Providence is up and coming. Also see Broadway in Providence and Federal Hill.

Warwick and Cranston, south county, Narragansett, the east side of Providence, and much of the east bay won't have a lot of what you seem to be wanting.

This is in Pawtucket for example: https://hopeartistevillage.com

And by the way, we are hardly forgotten or unglamorous. We are very much discovered and have had many travel articles written about our area- such as this Vogue piece from March:
https://www.vogue.com/article/where-...d-travel-guide

Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 PM

3,779 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Maybe this blurb from Alton Brown will help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW38GPl9bxE

Old 09-29-2018, 07:31 AM

4,255 posts, read 1,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If I understand what you're looking for (and I'm not sure I do so I'm guessing) but maybe you could drive around Olneyville, West Warwick, Pawtucket, Woonsocket. A lot of working artists in these areas. Easy to find restaurant recs online. The west side of Providence is up and coming. Also see Broadway in Providence and Federal Hill.

Warwick and Cranston, south county, Narragansett, the east side of Providence, and much of the east bay won't have a lot of what you seem to be wanting.

This is in Pawtucket for example: https://hopeartistevillage.com

And by the way, we are hardly forgotten or unglamorous. We are very much discovered and have had many travel articles written about our area- such as this Vogue piece from March:
https://www.vogue.com/article/where-...d-travel-guide
With the highest poverty rate in New England and one in three residents relying on medicaid for health care, a lot of words come to mind before "glamorous". You're half right though, Rhode Island's been "discovered". The question remains, by whom?

Old 09-29-2018, 09:14 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
With the highest poverty rate in New England and one in three residents relying on medicaid for health care, a lot of words come to mind before "glamorous". You're half right though, Rhode Island's been "discovered". The question remains, by whom?
Why don't you do some research and find out?

Start by reading the Vogue article and then look at this:

https://www.goprovidence.com/meeting...piration-meet/

But don't get me wrong, I'm not soliciting any more Bostonians to move here- we have so many already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island