Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 AM

55 posts, read 167,589 times

Advertisements

"Ask Mayor Cicilline -- he'd be happy to talk to you personally about the beneifits of living and raising kids in Providence."

Why not, he was raised in a, shall we say, a well-connected "family".

RI is so very small, that you can be in Providence within maybe 15 miles in either direction! Try Cumberland or Lincoln north of Rt. 295, parts of Warwick, N. Kingstown, Ea. Greenwich. Within City limits of Providence? no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:41 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,698,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasden View Post
Thank you for all the input. I understand that the East Side seems the place to be. Which other areas are nice? Armory? Pleased to hear any and all comments you might have.
The east side is nice, but it is a college area. The Elmhust section of the city is also very nice, safe and more affordable. If I were moving here fresh, I would actually consider Cranston. Cranston has a large variety of affordable restaurants, as well as pretty much anything else one could want. I think it is also laid out better, easier highway access. Cranston was also listed as the 25th safest city in the entire country to live in.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM

55 posts, read 167,589 times
Anyone can subscribe to the only large newspaper, Providence Journal, online. www.projo.com or go to www.wjarturnto10.com for the TV station.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:19 PM

11 posts, read 43,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasden View Post
We are looking for a place to settle down and have kids and make friends. We both work from home so we are a bit scared about being isolated. My questions are: do you think we can fit in and get to know people? Which parts of Providence do you recommend? We want to buy an older house with lots of charm, a small backyard and maybe a porch or deck or two. We have lived in DC and SF before and found both cities very nice but very expensive. We are in a way looking for an affordable and smaller version of DC. Do you think Providence is a fit or will it feel small?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Providence/New England is very hard place if you want to make friends...people are nice enough but are extremely caught up in their families/extended families and have little time for others outside of family/work or people they grew up here with.

Even if you get involved in different groups & activities, people are still focused on their own schedules/agendas outside of that.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM

202 posts, read 1,073,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pts617 View Post
I personally wouldn't move to Providence, especially if you have children. The school system is horrible most of the neighborhoods aren't too good. The East Side is the place to live if you really have the urge to live in the city but Elmhurst is a nice middle class neighborhood to live and raise a family. There are two extremes in Providence..upper class and poverty. Middle class is shrinking by the day. I would suggest moving to a suburb. Just my opinion.
Albeit it might be over decade ago but my sister attended the prov. school system and was accepted to the top colleges except for Harvard, the one she really wanted to go to. I believe the school system has the tools but the kids just need the drive to succeed.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:00 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,399,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
Albeit it might be over decade ago but my sister attended the prov. school system and was accepted to the top colleges except for Harvard, the one she really wanted to go to. I believe the school system has the tools but the kids just need the drive to succeed.
Very true, several excellent magnet schools.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,406,501 times
Default Try East Bay or possibly Mansfield MA

You might try looking into the East Bay part of Rhode Island

Towns of Barrington, Bristol, Portsmouth
RI

they are close to RI but in much nicer areas, close to Newport and other beach areas of South County etc

you could also try the eastern side of providence in Western Mass like Swansea, Somerset, Rehoboth, Berkley or Dighton areas.
(Country ish) to the East side.

To the North you could try Pawtucket , Woonsocket, even Mansfield MA

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,406,501 times
Cool Mansfield MA

Mansfield MA might work out for you it would have commuter rail access to both Providence and Boston
and would be a good location schools wise, services, etc.
also the commuter rail now has free wi-fi on the trains so you could work while en-route or just sit back and relax

--jeff D.---
Winchester, MA

Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM

29 posts, read 136,587 times
My girlfriends daughter, infant , and boyfriend are thinking of moving to Providence and saw an inexpensive two bedroom in the So. Providence area.
How bad of an idea is this?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,399,183 times
Very bad indeed....what once was a nice middle class area until the 1960's has become run down, crime ridden and generally not very safe. Would avoid South Providence at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island