Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:00 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to getting the Fane Tower debate in the rear view mirror ASAP, so the state can focus on saving the iconic Superman Building. Destroying it, can't be an option. While I agree, the owners should not benefit from their bad investment, the state or somebody needs to wrestle the building away from them so a realistic development incentive plan can come about. Rehab estimates seem to run from $100m - $225m, depending on the reuse and end buyer.

The idea of the big downtown businesses becoming more involved is a good one. We know it's probably going to take multiple public development subsidies to lure a buyer. And the passage of time will only increase the costs. A big obstacle is parking. Which will also unlikely change with time. So, we need to get on with it.

https://www.wpri.com/politics/still-...ars/1611733184
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 10:32 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Past time to think about this.

Perhaps we need someone ready to make a $300 mill "investment" in the city........ but wait........

Old 11-22-2018, 11:18 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Past time to think about this.

Perhaps we need someone ready to make a $300 mill "investment" in the city........ but wait........
Name one building in the city that has been preserved by fighting progress?

I agree that an opportunity could have been missed, many ways that investing in the Superman could have been used as leverage for granting the variance.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:27 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
You can't throw out "fighting progress" as a blanket statement. It's not that simple- and you know it- as has been already stated over and over.

On your second sentence, I agree, half goes into the bank rehab and half into a new modernist much shorter building.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
You can't throw out "fighting progress" as a blanket statement. It's not that simple- and you know it- as has been already stated over and over.

On your second sentence, I agree, half goes into the bank rehab and half into a new modernist much shorter building.
Progress can take multiple tracks. The Superman Building needs a big corporate occupant that can make sense of its iconic stature, dated layout and unfortunate lack of parking. Joe Paolino is positioned to lead the downtown business community, along with the mayor & governor, towards finding that rare occupant. But, make no mistake, deep soul saving public subsidy will be required. Worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:

It's also not so simple as expecting a developer to rehab an archaic high rise building as a gesture of charity to the city. He's already taking as massive risk with the Fane Tower, as we've stated even a restored Superman will struggle to find an appropriate tenant (when we know housing will always be filled). If he is stuck with a much shorter building, what does he get in return for his investment in the Superman? A shorter building will also give him a significantly lower profit, therefore increasing his risk. All I'm saying is that it could have been used as leverage with the city possibly gaining an additional benefit in exchange for granting something that benefits him (height variance). But the fact that he is willingly investing in a financial train wreck of a city with poor infrastructure, realistically leaves the city with minimal wiggle room.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:03 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
This has nothing to do with Fane. The people in rehabbing old spaces and building new ones are different actors. Not the same pot of money at all.

It's a lovely building though, to my eyes. I do hope someone steps up, but often rehabbing is just too expensive.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This has nothing to do with Fane. The people in rehabbing old spaces and building new ones are different actors. Not the same pot of money at all.

It's a lovely building though, to my eyes. I do hope someone steps up, but often rehabbing is just too expensive.
Exactly! And, likely no one is going to step up without considerable subsidy.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:41 AM

Yes it would be a very complex ordeal and likely require a partnership between Fane and another developer. Probably not feasible and would require public funds as well, but Fane clearly does want something from the city and has the $$$ to throw around. A city with ambitious and capable leadership could probably throw something together, but I understand this is Providence, Rhode Island.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I really don't know why Fane is even being mentioned here. Fane doesn't do rehab projects from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island