Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:25 AM

9,248 posts, read 14,814,742 times

Advertisements

Here's an example of a 30,000 sq ft single family home to be built in Newport in a neighborhood where it does not meet regulations for lot coverage, setbacks, is out of scale, etc etc

Should all the necessary exceptions be made and this be forced on the neighbors- after all- Newport would get the property tax.

Neighbors object to planned 30,000-square-foot chateau-like home in Newport - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 10:41 AM

8,429 posts, read 4,477,721 times
Nice try but really a stretch. A single family home in a residential neighborhood is hardly a good comparison to a 300M multi unit tower proposal on an empty lot in an urban downtown location.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:52 AM

7,947 posts, read 4,606,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Here's an example of a 30,000 sq ft single family home to be built in Newport in a neighborhood where it does not meet regulations for lot coverage, setbacks, is out of scale, etc etc

Should all the necessary exceptions be made and this be forced on the neighbors- after all- Newport would get the property tax.

Neighbors object to planned 30,000-square-foot chateau-like home in Newport - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI
I would suggest if Newport were up to its eyeballs in unfunded liabilities (as is Providence) and the homebuilder is inexplicably investing hundreds of millions in that city, it may be time for the neighbors not to play small, but to negotiate with their city's potential investor

Old 12-11-2018, 10:59 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,805,613 times
How many jobs would it be creating?
How many hundreds or thousands of people would it be housing that would be spending their money in the community?
Is the current location of the place a waste lot with nothing going for it? (Nope)
The house on the site is already out of compliance with current zoning, so literally nothing could be done with the site that won't require some variance.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:31 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,954,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How many jobs would it be creating?
How many hundreds or thousands of people would it be housing that would be spending their money in the community?
Is the current location of the place a waste lot with nothing going for it? (Nope)
The house on the site is already out of compliance with current zoning, so literally nothing could be done with the site that won't require some variance.

The lot is 51,836.4 sq ft. The footprint of the current house is 2840. Well under lot coverage and conforms to height requirements. It also fits in with the neighborhood. Setbacks are a little skewed but not too out of line.

30,000 sq ft of house... plus it will not conform to height and plane requirements is out of line.

And it's an ugly design.

I can't wait for the next zoning meeting!! There will be quite a turn out. I hope they move to meeting to a larger venue.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The lot is 51,836.4 sq ft. .

In an area that requires 120,000 square feet for a residence. As I said, already out of compliance with the zoning.

The point is though, it is in no way, shape, or form, analogous to the Fane Tower proposal.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:38 AM

9,248 posts, read 14,814,742 times
I figured most of you would go out of your way to miss the point about compliance.

I guess in RI we truly get the government we deserve. Established rules and guidelines are meaningless. It's an open invitation for exploitation.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 AM

Established rules and guidelines are not meaningless. There is, wisely, a process to go through to make exceptions to rules and guidelines on a case by case basis. Blanket rules with no flexibility do not make sense and are not part of good governance.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:13 AM

24,528 posts, read 18,074,636 times
3 acre zoning across the street from the waterfront at King Park? That's crazed. 200 feet east of there, you have small houses on tiny lots that occupy 30%+ of the land and have typical high density 10 foot setback zoning.

This is a 10,000-ish square foot footprint house on 2+ acres of land. That's a huge lot. I don't see the problem.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:20 AM

34,767 posts, read 56,596,486 times
I just looked at where this exactly is. It is at the corner of Wellington Avenue which is the waterfront road on the way out to Ocean Drive from town. The existing house is smaller, set back from Wellington and there is a broad front lawn between the house and main road. I can only assume the new house will be built on that broad lawn.

I realize that in other parts of the country it is not unusual to jam massive homes on tiny lots and that here in the northeast, this was done in the distance past as well. BUT long ago towns in the northeast saw the problems and ugliness of this so they implemented larger lot zoning and house/lot size ratios. I therefore go back to the need to enforce existing zoning regulations. I assume that the owners bought the home fully knowing (or at least they should have known) what current zoning allowed for that property. This is not a secret or a random regulation subject to opinion or interpretation. To ask to build such a monster home on such a small house is really asking a lot and kind of nervy IMHO. For that alone, I believe the City of Newport should deny this. There is no reason for it other than the owner's greed and desire and I, as with the neighbors, do not think this is wise since it will likely negatively impact home values in the area AND more importantly sets a very dangerous precedent for the future. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island