Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 04:07 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,694,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Hollytree is spot on with this comment. Native RIers, we left RI almost 11 years ago. Moved to NC for a warmer climate, better career opportunities and slower pace. Husband I retired in August and we both really wanted to move back to RI. We really miss living there...we miss Providence, the fabulous restaurants, the beach, proximity to Boston. We wanted to be close to the beach (husband is from Newport) but really couldn't afford to do this. We did some serious looking in Warren, Bristol, Narragansett, South Kingstown, Charlestown. Prices have really climbed...taxes are high. As much as we wanted to make it happen, we just couldn't manage it. We ended up staying in NC but moved to the coast. We like it here, are only 2 miles from the beach.....but still long for RI.
Hate seeing this type of post. While there are many relatively inexpensive places to live in RI, they aren't exactly considered retirement havens. Yes, if you want to live near the water in Bristol, Gansett, SK or Charlestown, even Warren, you need a good budget these days. We simply can't compete, as a retirement destination, with small towns in the south. That Kettle Point East Providence condos sell for $700.000 is a case in point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 06:38 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Hmmmm.......forced out by a lack of jobs, and now locked out by prohibitive taxes. What's not to miss?
I never said we were "forced out by lack of jobs". I believe I said "better career opportunities". My husband and I are both in the medical field and had very good jobs in RI; I worked for Lifespan and he worked for the VA. We were both offered positions at Duke.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:50 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I never said we were "forced out by lack of jobs". I believe I said "better career opportunities". My husband and I are both in the medical field and had very good jobs in RI; I worked for Lifespan and he worked for the VA. We were both offered positions at Duke.

There are a fair amount of chronic liars on this forum. I say that with no happiness. I wish I could chalk it up to just hyperbole for effect, but not, they are so past the point of intellectual dishonesty that really they're just flat out liars. It's too bad. Them, along with the children posing as adults, muddy the conversation.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Anyone who doesn't think that RI property taxes are thru the roof can do an accurate property search on www.Realtor.com for properties that would attract them in their price range in any RI city or town.

A simple ranch in most areas will have $4,000/yr. or more property taxes alone. Renting is not a good option either because the landlord simply adds his taxes to the equation.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:07 AM

4000/yr for property taxes doesn't seem high to me, but I help my mother pay >16k in property taxes on her place. That's high. But having a lot of the valuable real estate owned by non profits is going to push the burden elsewhere, that only makes sense.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzoftheweek View Post
If youre looking for a place in the Providence area thats family oriented and affordable, Warwick is your best option.
How depressing …. I'd rather have a fork through the eye!!!

Cranston, OTOH, might merit simply a slit wrist …. LOL

OP: Live in Providence or nearby MA.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
That Kettle Point East Providence condos sell for $700.000 is a case in point.
… That ANYTHING in East Providence sells for more than $300K is truly mindboggling!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
… That ANYTHING in East Providence sells for more than $300K is truly mindboggling!

Why? I don't know anything about the city, I've only driven through it, but why do you think this?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
4000/yr for property taxes doesn't seem high to me, but I help my mother pay >16k in property taxes on her place. That's high. But having a lot of the valuable real estate owned by non profits is going to push the burden elsewhere, that only makes sense.
Obviously "Mom's" house is not going to sell for $200,000 or less. $16K is heart attack land.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Obviously "Mom's" house is not going to sell for $200,000 or less. $16K is heart attack land.

No, but in the end, its still just a house. Living in it really isn't much different than living in mine. That said, its a burden trying to keep her in it. But, it's her house and she is attached.

They paid 35k for it. I guess that one worked out investment wise, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island