Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If I thought Barrington was too expensive, I'd be looking at Bristol. $350k will get you a 3/2 1400 sf cape. The mill rate is $15.38 so the property taxes won't kill you. It's walkable. You have the bike path to Providence. Town beach and Colt State Park. You can put a trailerable boat in your driveway and go sailing or fishing after work. It's on the Providence/Newport bus route 60 so it's possible to get to the PVD Amtrak station in a reasonable amount of time without driving. If you're going to live in the Ocean State, why not live somewhere with ocean?

The car commute at rush hour from Barrington/Bristol is kind of ugly. Unlike really congested cities, you can flex a bit early or start driving at 8:30am and avoid the worst of it.
I thought of that as well, but they didn't want to be east of Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Kind of like Woonsocket...………...there are some pretty nice areas especially up on the Mendon Hill Road area but poor little Woonsocket, not quite sure who gets more smack, Woonsocket or Central Falls?
Well to be fair Woonsocket has some very REAL problems, in contrast to Burrillville which is just typical small town stuff. Woonscoket DOES have a few livable areas left though, which distinguishes it from an all gone city like C.F..

Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM

198 posts, read 150,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Outside of Chepachet which has a very small town center (and you probably wouldn't get a house within any walkable distance), there's not a lot in rural western RI in terms of town centers. So, for your criteria, I'd just suggest looking for a rural house and land that you like anywhere from Cumberland down to Charlestown. Check out who's around you and I think you could easily avoid any neighbor issues with enough land. I'd also check out any town ordinances concerning bee or chicken keeping before purchasing. Your modest budget will definitely get you a modest house, most likely with well and septic.
Burrilville has some built up town areas like Pascoag and Harrisville. Both are a little too urban for me. Glocester has a town center in Chepachet. Mostly antique stores, a few restaurants, a bank, churches and a library. The only retail is Family Dollar. A little walk could get you to CVS, Navigant, DD and Dino's (local supermarket). Glocester has no sewers, water or garbage pick up. The Pascoag and Harrisville areas have water, sewers and garbage pickup. Outside of these areas no water or sewers in Burrilville. The big plus is the Pascoag Electric District which supplies electricity to much of Burrilville. They have a good system and quick storm response. When the surrounding areas lose electricity they don't because they are on a different grid and make repairs more quickly then National Grid.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 24 View Post
Burrilville has some built up town areas like Pascoag and Harrisville. Both are a little too urban for me. Glocester has a town center in Chepachet. Mostly antique stores, a few restaurants, a bank, churches and a library. The only retail is Family Dollar. A little walk could get you to CVS, Navigant, DD and Dino's (local supermarket). Glocester has no sewers, water or garbage pick up. The Pascoag and Harrisville areas have water, sewers and garbage pickup. Outside of these areas no water or sewers in Burrilville. The big plus is the Pascoag Electric District which supplies electricity to much of Burrilville. They have a good system and quick storm response. When the surrounding areas lose electricity they don't because they are on a different grid and make repairs more quickly then National Grid.
I wouldn't live in Pascoag or Harrisville. Not horrible places but are a little on the dumpy side, aren't what I think OP envisions in a walkable town center.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:11 PM

5,199 posts, read 6,139,618 times
That's the problem with RI as it is so small, if not for the traffic you can easily get to all four corners of the state from any point in an hour more or less making some of the rural areas easy to get to but the desire to live there drives the real-estate costs.

While only a part time visitor to RI I have noticed the traffic from South County heading north in the mornings and from Johnston west on Route 6 has grown tremendously over the years. These used to be traditionally less populated areas many years ago.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That's the problem with RI as it is so small, if not for the traffic you can easily get to all four corners of the state from any point in an hour more or less making some of the rural areas easy to get to but the desire to live there drives the real-estate costs.

While only a part time visitor to RI I have noticed the traffic from South County heading north in the mornings and from Johnston west on Route 6 has grown tremendously over the years. These used to be traditionally less populated areas many years ago.
Which used to be mitigated by the fact that driving to the next town was once considered a day trip, but that attitude seems to be fading. Don't know if it's a matter of desperation, or that RIers are suddenly discovering that "there's a whole state out there to enjoy!".

Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:

You're right, south county has been built up and has grown quite a lot. Starting to get a bit sprawly in fact.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:22 PM

17,736 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Kind of like Woonsocket...………...there are some pretty nice areas especially up on the Mendon Hill Road area but poor little Woonsocket, not quite sure who gets more smack, Woonsocket or Central Falls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well to be fair Woonsocket has some very REAL problems, in contrast to Burrillville which is just typical small town stuff. Woonscoket DOES have a few livable areas left though, which distinguishes it from an all gone city like C.F..
Woonsocket is deserving of its reputation. The bikers and drugs the OP mentioned are an issue in Woonsocket, and some of those people do live in the nearby rural areas (including Massachusetts).

That said, the rural areas in RI are fine. I wouldn't be concerned about safety in any of the rural RI towns.

Central Falls is horrible.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM

17,736 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Your modest budget will definitely get you a modest house
The OP can do just fine with his budget. But, no, not in a trendy walkable area.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:10 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
If the OP really has their sights set on living in 'the country' and have more than about 1/2 acre of land with zoning that allows livestock, they may want to check out West Greenwich, rural North Kingstown, rural Scituate, and possibly North Smithfield. Otherwise for $350K, they're looking at a 'basic' ranch, 3 beds, 1.5 or maybe 2 baths in a good family type neighborhood. The bees and chickens will have to wait awhile. The OP should have an experienced Realtor who can handle more than one area and direct them to what they are looking for. Most companies can help in that regard.

The newspaper with the most information is at: www.projo.com There are also smaller local town papers that they can rely on for good information. www.Realtor.com will also be valuable to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island