Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Of course taxes are high in Boston! In New York, D.C., and San Francisco as well. These are premium locations with a host of inherent advantages, and as such, continually command premium price tags. Providence on the other hand, for it's asking price, offers few advantages other than geographical location. It's Hood ice cream with a Haagen-Dazs price tag. And this is where your insularity always comes back to bite you. Pare back the lens and see the Northeast through through the eyes of business. Boundaries are not nearly as visible. Boston, New York and..........Providence. The only way Providence and Rhode Island will EVER compete is to radically reduce levels of taxation. In the years ahead, you're gonna have to get fighting lean or get knocked right outta the ring.
Agree with everything except, taxes are not going to be reduced. What is going to have to happen is taxpayers are going to have to get more for their $$$$ similar to Mass. Especially, in the way of public education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
I can see Springfield or Hartford. They bought out companies that used to be there and have relationships with others. Boston prices are higher than Pawtucket. Hartford and Springfield are similar and it has the advantage of being connected along with new haven and surrounding suburbs work ct rail. If mass could bring the psox to worcester then one can see hasbro to hartford or Springfield

Old 04-20-2019, 11:35 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I can see Springfield or Hartford. They bought out companies that used to be there and have relationships with others. Boston prices are higher than Pawtucket. Hartford and Springfield are similar and it has the advantage of being connected along with new haven and surrounding suburbs work ct rail. If mass could bring the psox to worcester then one can see hasbro to hartford or Springfield
Interesting. I would still suggest that it's unlikely that Hasbro would move from Pawtucket to Fall River. Just as unlikely they would overlook Providence for Hartford or Springfield. But, who knows?

Old 04-20-2019, 11:55 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Quote:

These cities have zero chance of landing Hasbro.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'm guessing Hasbro will likely move to Providence -- across from their Providence building -- where the old police station was. It's currently a parking lot and it's for sale.
Reps for the owner of this property have already been in front of the Providence Zoning Board indicating that this might be a possibility.

Could Hasbro have designs on downtown?
Developer The Procaccianti Group says a Rhode Island-based tenant is seeking a signature office building

“As I testified the last time, I can’t tell you who the tenant is, but everyone in this room knows who the tenant is,” Voccola said to a round of knowing chuckles from board members, according to an audio recording.

“The particular tenant we are talking about happens to already be a Rhode Island based company who happens to have their workforce here already.”

https://www.providencejournal.com/ne...ns-on-downtown

Old 04-20-2019, 04:04 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
These cities have zero chance of landing Hasbro.
Moving within a state isn't that big of a deal. Providence is great no argument there but flee the same price you can get access to more people. Hasbro owns Milton Bradley with connections to Springfield and owns coleco which stood for connecticut leather company. They have connections to the Longmeadows as well.

Bradley Airport is now larger than tf green and that gives more direct access.

Hasbro is moving. I have a colleague that worked for the mayor of Pawtucket long ago and much of this was predicted. First the pawsocks and then this.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:14 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Quote:
Moving within a state isn't that big of a deal. Providence is great no argument there but flee the same price you can get access to more people. Hasbro owns Milton Bradley with connections to Springfield and owns coleco which stood for connecticut leather company. They have connections to the Longmeadows as well.

Bradley Airport is now larger than tf green and that gives more direct access.

Hasbro is moving. I have a colleague that worked for the mayor of Pawtucket long ago and much of this was predicted. First the pawsocks and then this.
I think they'd have a difficult time getting existing employees to move to Hartford/Springfield.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Hasbro was originally founded in Providence. Can anybody tell me when they moved to Pawtucket?

Old 04-21-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Of course taxes are high in Boston! In New York, D.C., and San Francisco as well. These are premium locations with a host of inherent advantages, and as such, continually command premium price tags. Providence on the other hand, for it's asking price, offers few advantages other than geographical location. It's Hood ice cream with a Haagen-Dazs price tag. And this is where your insularity always comes back to bite you. Pare back the lens and see the Northeast through through the eyes of business. Boundaries are not nearly as visible. Boston, New York and..........Providence. The only way Providence and Rhode Island will EVER compete is to radically reduce levels of taxation. In the years ahead, you're gonna have to get fighting lean or get knocked right outta the ring.
People I know from New York complain that the services don't meet the taxation levels. Same is true of Boston. I agree with your point that we have to look at our offerings in the context of the northeast business climate and do a SWOT analysis. And yes, I suspect the results of that analysis will show that we need to lower the cost to run a business here, which will mean we'll have to lower taxes to become more attractive.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Hasbro was originally founded in Providence. Can anybody tell me when they moved to Pawtucket?

Hasbro has long Pawtucket roots having minimally been in the city at its present facility at 1027 Newport Avenue in the former Potter & Johnston Manufacturing Company mill since 1962.

http://www.pawtucketpreservation.org...rhood_2017.pdf

Last edited by MMS02760; 04-21-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island