Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:43 AM

3,776 posts, read 2,683,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Hasbro has long Pawtucket roots having minimally been in the city at its present facility at 1027 Newport Avenue in the former Potter & Johnston Manufacturing Company mill since 1962.

http://www.pawtucketpreservation.org...rhood_2017.pdf
Yes, thank you for that link. I think 1962 is the exact time Hasbro located in Pawtucket. Prior to that, they were in Central Falls for about 20 years. Before that was Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I think they'd have a difficult time getting existing employees to move to Hartford/Springfield.
Same cost of living, greater access to more employees, more ROI and ROE, same time zone, same region. It's really not that big of a move.

If CVS could make a move for Aetna then this isn't that unheard of.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Same cost of living, greater access to more employees, more ROI and ROE, same time zone, same region. It's really not that big of a move.
I don't mean any offense, but I'd choose to live in Providence over Hartford or Springfield any day of the week. It's a nicer city and has the ocean nearby.

Greater access to more [potential] employees? More ROI? More ROE? Please explain.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Probably just a ploy by Hasbro to get their taxes lowered.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:30 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
I don't mean any offense, but I'd choose to live in Providence over Hartford or Springfield any day of the week. It's a nicer city and has the ocean nearby.

Greater access to more [potential] employees? More ROI? More ROE? Please explain.
Plus they would have to count on all those current employees actually willing to make that move. RI has it's issues, but you couldn't pay me to live in Hartford/Springfield.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:32 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Probably just a ploy by Hasbro to get their taxes lowered.
Probably.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:

CT rail is a commuter rail linking Springfield to Hartford to new haven. Springfield to NYC by rail now takes the same time as Boston to NYC on the accela.

The urban population of the corridor 405k and add in the suburbs and you have over a million. Ivy league access to Yale. Extension starts in June to Northampton, Holyoke and Greenfield. Add in the suburbs again and it goes further.

Plenty of space. Second largest transit authority in New England. The vast majority of western mass and ct can get to Hartford and Springfield easily. New Uconn campus, rail factory, mgm springfield, New schools, market rate housing by rail stops etc. The region has been gentrifying for awhile.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
CT rail is a commuter rail linking Springfield to Hartford to new haven. Springfield to NYC by rail now takes the same time as Boston to NYC on the accela.

The urban population of the corridor 405k and add in the suburbs and you have over a million. Ivy league access to Yale. Extension starts in June to Northampton, Holyoke and Greenfield. Add in the suburbs again and it goes further.

Plenty of space. Second largest transit authority in New England. The vast majority of western mass and ct can get to Hartford and Springfield easily. New Uconn campus, rail factory, mgm springfield, New schools, market rate housing by rail stops etc. The region has been gentrifying for awhile.
That doesn't sound like it adds up to more potential employees to me. Metro Providence is larger... And if you're going to include New Haven in Hartford's numbers (or Springfield's numbers), then you'll have to include Boston in Providence's numbers...

Also it seems you didn't justify statements of "better ROI, better ROE."

Last edited by ormari; 04-22-2019 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 06:02 AM

8,060 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:

You make good arguments for Hartford. However, my sense is Hasbro may be looking for a World Headquarters. So, any perceived regional advantage Hartford/Springfield has might be only to the benefit of attracting qualified employees and transit. And, even then a better case might be made for Providence and certainly Boston.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

I don't think it helps access to employees. It's not about number of employees, but what types. Hasbro seems to (from the 10 or so people I've met working there, sure, anecdotal, but...) creative types. Lots from RISD. They might move, but it would be someplace with a significant creative class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island