Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:09 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times

Advertisements

Providence has financial issues. This isn't just one a one issue deal here. Let's say that they move to providence. Hardly that much of a move but it's obviously a much larger city with more access and more or less the same laws. I think we can all agree they are pulling out of Pawtucket.

So what's the problem? Any tax deal made will be immediately nullified if Providence is put into receivership. They can't give away a TIF or a PILOT deal here. It is what it is. Long ago I actually got close to a finance job for the state of RI. They had a slight budget cut which was the job. I also learned not to mention Curt Shilling! Curt Shillings company nearly put the state into bankruptcy if they didn't take on that debt (bond downgrading). So if a small game company could do this what the heck would they do with Hasbro?

Hartford has pretty good access being in the middle of things. I'd also add the Science center is pretty nice all things being said. They also technically have the largest farmers market between nyc and boston. It looks rough but if they dress it up it would be huge. Restaurants go there for produce really early in the morning.

Here's some hartford related art material
https://www.nationalartsprogram.org/venues/hartford
Open Studio Hartford | A City-Wide Collaboration of the Arts
https://www.hartford.edu/hartford_ar...olarships.aspx

So you have Lego in the area, remnants of Coleco back in the day and of course this is the same region where Parkers Brothers was. Maybe this might not be all young people in their early 20's. Maybe you might get some 68 year old out of retirement or someone that was at a toy company to come back etc. Toys can sometimes merge with learning and that's a whole field by itself.

This might open up a can of worms but are you saying art can be taught? Obviously something like a musical instrument and reading actual sheet music I can get that but not everything that is a design comes from someone with a MFA. In many cases a company might subcontract design work out. Apple's relationship with Frog Design is evidence of that. Heck I know of a phone that Mitsubishi eventually sold that was originally designed by Porshe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 10:05 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Big news for Hartford and Springfield. They recently made a top ten national list. Hasbro execs are sure to be impressed.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/poorest-cities-in-america/

These Are The 10 Poorest Cities In The US For 2019:
  1. Detroit, MI
  2. Cleveland, OH
  3. Dayton, OH
  4. Hartford, CT
  5. Rochester, NY
  6. Newark, NJ
  7. Jackson, MS
  8. Syracuse, NY
  9. Birmingham, AL
  10. Springfield, MA

Old 04-26-2019, 11:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Providence has financial issues. This isn't just one a one issue deal here. Let's say that they move to providence. Hardly that much of a move but it's obviously a much larger city with more access and more or less the same laws. I think we can all agree they are pulling out of Pawtucket.

So what's the problem? Any tax deal made will be immediately nullified if Providence is put into receivership. They can't give away a TIF or a PILOT deal here. It is what it is. Long ago I actually got close to a finance job for the state of RI. They had a slight budget cut which was the job. I also learned not to mention Curt Shilling! Curt Shillings company nearly put the state into bankruptcy if they didn't take on that debt (bond downgrading). So if a small game company could do this what the heck would they do with Hasbro?

Hartford has pretty good access being in the middle of things. I'd also add the Science center is pretty nice all things being said. They also technically have the largest farmers market between nyc and boston. It looks rough but if they dress it up it would be huge. Restaurants go there for produce really early in the morning.

Here's some hartford related art material
https://www.nationalartsprogram.org/venues/hartford
Open Studio Hartford | A City-Wide Collaboration of the Arts
https://www.hartford.edu/hartford_ar...olarships.aspx

So you have Lego in the area, remnants of Coleco back in the day and of course this is the same region where Parkers Brothers was. Maybe this might not be all young people in their early 20's. Maybe you might get some 68 year old out of retirement or someone that was at a toy company to come back etc. Toys can sometimes merge with learning and that's a whole field by itself.

This might open up a can of worms but are you saying art can be taught? Obviously something like a musical instrument and reading actual sheet music I can get that but not everything that is a design comes from someone with a MFA. In many cases a company might subcontract design work out. Apple's relationship with Frog Design is evidence of that. Heck I know of a phone that Mitsubishi eventually sold that was originally designed by Porshe.
Good god, an open studios? Every town has that. And Hartford School of Art? What does that rank, 150th in the Nation or something? Comparing that to RISD, or Pratt, or even Tisch?

And of course art can be taught, but natural talent can't be. You need both to get into top art schools.

And jesus Christ, the artists aren't just doing design. Two of the (several) people at Hasbro that I know don't do design, they travel the globe looking for games to develop... both RISD alums, and its their eye and creativity that is their tools. It's not something that can be taught, at all.

This is just straight up a ridiculous conversation. I'm done.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:49 AM

3,793 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Providence has financial issues.
Umm, there's no monopoly on financial woes. From what I understand, Connecticut is pretty bad off too:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...s-legislature/

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...201-story.html

I like Hartford ok, and think it has potential. But to make it out like moving there is a no-brainer is patently silly.

You never did explain you curious claim of a greater pool of potential employees to be drawn upon.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:27 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Providence? Hartford? Pretty much pick your poison. Both are decaying post-industrial backwaters. I like the Hartford skyline better, and it boasts a modest intrinsic job market. Providence is a much safer bet to go belly up as well. And worst roads in the country bar none. Still, nod to Providence for its restaurants and proximity to the ocean. For Hasbro though? No reason to think they'd consider Hartford over Providence. No, the threat to you is Boston. And you're making way to much of the RISD thing. Even stipulating that Hasbro values a pipeline with them. What kid coming out wouldn't absolutely jump at a chance to work for Hasbro in Boston? Providence is OK, but for a youngster it's about as exciting as Charlton Heston. Asleep. And as for current employees? Three choices: commute, relocate or hit the bricks. Hasbro is a publicly held company and its employee's convenience is not its primary responsibility. Does anybody think for a minute that Hasbro couldn't attract all the talent It needs in Boston? And where better than a vibrant world-class city to set up a campus style headquarters. Who knows, they may surprise us all. I'm guessing Snow Tires is gonna throw the entire store at 'em. Will it be enough? W'ell see.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Does anybody think for a minute that Hasbro couldn't attract all the talent It needs in Boston? And where better than a vibrant world-class city to set up a campus style headquarters.
Boston is not a world class city. It's the largest New England city. And for the moment it is successful.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Boston is not a world class city. It's the largest New England city. And for the moment it is successful.
For your sake, I hope "Gina" can make Hasbro a better pitch than that!

Old 04-27-2019, 04:38 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Now, no reason to cast shade on Boston. But, it is debatable whether it's a world class city, or not. Maybe?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:02 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
Unreal. Insert terms-of-service-violating expletives here.

Worcester trying to woo Hasbro HQ to new PawSox park

What's next, a bid to move Slater Mill?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Unreal. Insert terms-of-service-violating expletives here.

Worcester trying to woo Hasbro HQ to new PawSox park

What's next, a bid to move Slater Mill?
Maybe they'll see if they can get the bay too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island