Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 09:45 AM

15 posts, read 13,212 times

Advertisements

For the 2 you posted, both seem overpriced. Particularly Central Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 09:59 AM

7,952 posts, read 4,608,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
One thing to add is I'd generally stay away from those mini-associations like the one in Lincoln, they can be TROUBLE. And yes, that is by Lonsdale which along with Manville is considered one of the problem areas of Lincoln, with seepage coming over from C.F.. The NP location is more comfortable. I also agree that a single family home is preferable, but it's important to note that even the $252 is not THAT high for a condo fee (they can get MUCH worse). That alone would not cause me to hesitate AS LONG as it's a well run association, but in either case be SURE to do your due diligence before buying. You need to check for anticipated repairs/plans for funding them, cash flow, cash reserve...
I'd second the advice to stay away from "Mini Associations". The general welfare of a condo association benefits from as many members as possible. With small associations, it only takes one bad apple to create chaos and send the condo association down the tubes to the ruin of everybody's real estate investment.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:02 AM

23,237 posts, read 18,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyhaynes3590 View Post
For the 2 you posted, both seem overpriced. Particularly Central Falls.

It was in Lincoln, near the C.F. line. If it was actually IN Central Falls, it would be listed MUCH lower no doubt.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM

16 posts, read 13,659 times
WOW! It's really eye-opening for me seeing your opinions. I have learned a great deal. Thank you!!!

I thought the one in Lincoln is better due to the fact it is in Lincoln with its highly rated school system (I am expecting a baby in a few months). I did not know that being close to Central Fall could have that much impact.

Just wanted to share my initial takes:

Pros for the one in Lincoln:

- Larger space with finished basement.
- Has a yard to use
- Newer (1988 > 1974)
- Better school system. The elementary school is a few steps away.
- Use gas (Gas > Electric)

Pros for the one on North Providence

- 7 minutes closer to work (Smithfield)
- Walking distance to Notte Park
- Easier to adapt to live(I have been living in North Providence for a few years. The one in Lincoln seems to offer different lifestyle)
- more isolated from the neighbor

Old 05-22-2019, 12:58 PM

15 posts, read 13,212 times
Manville gets a bad rep (I've lived here 3 years) but I actually like it a lot and its the Lincoln school district too. There's a park I can walk to (basically across the street), you can walk to the bike path. There's a nearby water entry for kayaks, a cute coffee place. Is also like 3 minutes to the freeway so everything is close. People are really friendly here that I've talked to.

Personally I'd make sure its the school district you want, looks nice, check out the neighborhood and walk around. Especially if you're local.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:07 PM

16 posts, read 13,659 times
So I am moving to the next affordable range and searching for single family homes less than 225.

I come across this one in Cumberland Hill, very close to Woonsocket. I know it's not ideal. But how bad is Cumberland hill in general and this house in particular? Any takes would be much appreciated.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ri/cumberla...64--2002716615

Old 05-26-2019, 08:57 AM

9,250 posts, read 14,817,561 times
Very cute tiny condo alternative. Assuming all systems are good and no red flags, it looks good. Check with the town to see if the lot is big enough to expand in the future, because that is how you'd make money on this in the large term.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:11 AM

23,237 posts, read 18,394,102 times
Do you really want a 1960 mobile home???

Financing that could be an issue.

Cumberland Hill is not the most desirable area of town, but it's not HORRIBLE and safe enough though.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,462,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathy View Post
So I am moving to the next affordable range and searching for single family homes less than 225.

I come across this one in Cumberland Hill, very close to Woonsocket. I know it's not ideal. But how bad is Cumberland, hill in general and this house in particular? Any takes would be much appreciated.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ri/cumberla...64--2002716615

$199K for an 800 sq. ft. 'mobile' home. ?? Ridiculous. It looks like at one time it may have been a garage.

Cumberland Hill is fine. I don't see where any bank would take a mortgage on it; and surely you don't want to pay cash for something like that.

You need a real estate agent. You can buy a decent condominium in various parts of RI for around $150k and up, depending on size and location.

And... PS: Trulia is not what you want to be looking at. www.Realtor.com is accurate and where you should search, or simply get together with an agent.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:33 AM

9,250 posts, read 14,817,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
$199K for an 800 sq. ft. 'mobile' home. ?? Ridiculous. It looks like at one time it may have been a garage.

Cumberland Hill is fine. I don't see where any bank would take a mortgage on it; and surely you don't want to pay cash for something like that.

You need a real estate agent. You can buy a decent condominium in various parts of RI for around $150k and up, depending on size and location.

And... PS: Trulia is not what you want to be looking at. www.Realtor.com is accurate and where you should search, or simply get together with an agent.
They don't want a condo. It would at least half of 199k to buy land in Cumberland. And I'm sure they could get a mortgage on this house it assuming their finances are in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island