Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 10:36 AM

8,060 posts, read 4,684,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Thank you for the belated response. It might be more helpful to post in the respective thread so future inquirers can make use of it, but that is of course on you:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...nter-bash.html
You're welcome. I'll just have to continue to use my best judgement anytime I sense a post of mine may be used to bash a neighborhood or some other nastiness - as a response. I've found it's better to shut up than unleash a mean girl here. Or worse, be turned into one myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 11:35 AM

17,665 posts, read 9,155,986 times
If the video showed a middle-aged white hipster dude getting drunk at Long Live Beerworks, and someone commented "Yep. The Armory written all over him.", I don't think anyone would have questioned it.

Right or wrong, I think we all stereotype at times.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If the video showed a middle-aged white hipster dude getting drunk at Long Live Beerworks, and someone commented "Yep. The Armory written all over him.", I don't think anyone would have questioned it. Right or wrong, I think we all stereotype at times.
While not as bigoted (white man about other white men), it would be just as foolish, given such a specific generalization doesn't begin to represent most of the fine people who actually live in the Armory. Just another stereotype borne of bias & ignorance. Stereotyping may be universal, but usually reveals our worst nature if its real purpose is demean & make less those who aren't in on it.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:19 PM

23,559 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If the video showed a middle-aged white hipster dude getting drunk at Long Live Beerworks, and someone commented "Yep. The Armory written all over him.", I don't think anyone would have questioned it.

Right or wrong, I think we all stereotype at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
While not as bigoted (white man about other white men), it would be just as foolish, given such a specific generalization doesn't begin to represent most of the fine people who actually live in the Armory. Just another stereotype borne of bias & ignorance. Stereotyping may be universal, but usually reveals our worst nature if its real purpose is demean & make less those who aren't in on it.
Not even that so much, as I think most of the "good" people of Prospect Heights would fully agree with it or at least shrug it off with humor. They all know (better than anybody probably)it's a $hithole. Probably true with the Armory example as well, although I imagine there be a few more "snowflake" types over there. And I have no idea why you keep injecting race into these things. Do you think white people don't steal and live trashy lives while living in the ghetto? If so that would make YOU the bigot.

Right or wrong, we all stereotype. You do. I do. Sometimes it's sarcasm with no harm intended. Sometimes there is truth to it. Sometimes it's false and with the potential to cause harm. Either way while it may not be the "kosher" think to do, I don't believe this holier-than-thou trying to shame/call out others accomplishes anything. It comes across as a "my $hit don't stink" sort of hypocrisy.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Not even that so much, as I think most of the "good" people of Prospect Heights would fully agree with it or at least shrug it off with humor. They all know (better than anybody probably)it's a $hithole. Probably true with the Armory example as well, although I imagine there be a few more "snowflake" types over there. And I have no idea why you keep injecting race into these things. Do you think white people don't steal and live trashy lives while living in the ghetto? If so that would make YOU the bigot.

Right or wrong, we all stereotype. You do. I do. Sometimes it's sarcasm with no harm intended. Sometimes there is truth to it. Sometimes it's false and with the potential to cause harm. Either way while it may not be the "kosher" think to do, I don't believe this holier-than-thou trying to shame/call out others accomplishes anything. It comes across as a "my $hit don't stink" sort of hypocrisy.
To me, it's knowing the difference between right & wrong. More importantly, it's doing our best to act on that knowledge. While too often not succeeding, at least always trying. Sorry, that even the concept seems to strike such a self-righteous note.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
To me, it's knowing the difference between right & wrong. More importantly, it's doing our best to act on that knowledge. While too often not succeeding, at least always trying. Sorry, that even the concept seems to strike such a self-righteous note.
I agree with all up until the bolded part. Acting on that knowledge does not strike a self-righteous note at all imho. But the key word here is ACTING.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:02 PM

Independent man, I am quite sure that I've seen you negatively stereotype Providence College students living in Elmhurst. I believe I've also seen you (and Holly) negatively stereotype people living in Western Cranston, and I think it also involved subtle negative hints about an ethnic group. I'm still not completely sure what you and Holly were talking about. I asked and didn't receive a response. I suspect this was what some people call "dog whistles".

Old 03-07-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I agree with all up until the bolded part. Acting on that knowledge does not strike a self-righteous note at all imho. But the key word here is ACTING.
Knowing right & wrong, without acting or trying to act on it, is useless. The "self-righteous" reference was about how those who discuss such concepts (apparently me) are perceived by some others here. To use an analogy you may have referenced: Snake oil salesman. Like a preacher selling snake oil. Insincere. This is probably left for another forum.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:46 PM

I also vaguely recall a negative stereotype about Portuguese people. I think it was about landscaping.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Knowing right & wrong, without acting or trying to act on it, is useless. The "self-righteous" reference was about how those who discuss such concepts (apparently me) are perceived by some others here. To use an analogy you may have referenced: Snake oil salesman. Like a preacher selling snake oil. Insincere. This is probably left for another forum.
As you know there is a regular poster on this forum with a bad habit of disparaging ALL "conservatives", "libertarians", PC students...and basically anybody who doesn't fit the mold of his own kind and very narrow world view. The funny thing is (well I mean it's not really "funny"), the same poster lecturing us on "right and wrong" is never anywhere to be seen when this hate and nastiness is taking place. After all the talk of "dog whistles" and whatnot, maybe a little MORE self reflection is due around here, I dare say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island