Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 01:51 PM

7,939 posts, read 4,602,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with the Barrington and East Greenwich suggestions. These are beautiful suburbs of Providence with great schools and family activities. That’s where I would look. Jay
Lovely suburbs. But not for a $300k budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 04:10 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,454,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7lo11 View Post
My wife, baby daughter, and I are relocating to the Providence area. It's a bit overwhelming trying to find the right place to live. I'm already in contact with a realtor who was referred to me by a friend. I'll be working by College Hill.

The most important thing is that we want to live in a safe/nice area (not fancy). I understand that there is more crime in any larger city.

My wife and I do not want to live in the city. We're looking at more rural/suburb areas that won't break the bank. Hopefully looking to spend less than $3000k/month in mortgage/rent. We're open to renting but also considering buying. I don't mind commuting up to 45 minutes each way.

Thank you very much in advance. I appreciate the advice!

If this hasn't been suggested before, I would suggest you ask your Realtor about northern RI. e.g., Cumberland, Lincoln, Smithfield, North Smithfield. If he/she is not very familiar with those areas, you should get a Realtor who is. Lovely suburban towns with lower prices and great schools, and very safe. You would have a decent nice drive right into Providence and College Hill.

Getting into Providence from anywhere -- expect traffic. The worst traffic is all the backups on Rt. 95 coming into Providence, and leaving Providence to head south or east to Barrington (which is highly over your price range to begin with). My children grew up in Cumberland, both excelled in school and college and have professional degrees beyond the 4 year colleges. So do my grandchildren as well. Check out northern RI, I think you will love it -- and best wishes on wherever you choose.

PS: Pardon me if you have already said where you are relocating from .... that would be good information to get a feel for what you would like.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 09-05-2019 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Added one more sentence.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:54 PM

23,211 posts, read 18,366,504 times
True if you are thinking about buying and staying more than a couple years, you really SHOULD be looking at where the good schools are. Barrington would work on your rental budget, to buy not so much. The northern RI towns are good suggestions

Old 09-05-2019, 06:47 PM

10 posts, read 10,274 times
We moved here two years ago and live in the Edgewood section of Cranston. It is close to the city and has nice houses with yards and water nearby, walkable to Pawtuxet Village, Roger Williams Park, restaurants, shops, good schools...
It would be a tiny commute for you. It’s not rural but it is lovely. And you could buy a very nice home on your budget.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,454,528 times
To the OP: you also should carefully weigh the yearly property taxes; and taxes on cars; taxes on sewers; taxes taxes, homeowners' insurance -- and more taxes in some of the towns mentioned. Makes a big difference on how much mortgage you can handle; many banks want buyers these days to escrow their taxes and home insurance and all that is collected up front for one year, at the closing. Yup.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:10 PM

"Safe area/not fancy/rural suburbanish/under 45 minute commute/UNDER $300k" = Coventry

Old 09-05-2019, 07:32 PM

23,211 posts, read 18,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
"Safe area/not fancy/rural suburbanish/under 45 minute commute/UNDER $300k" = Coventry
That is over a half hour drive in the morning, absolutely no reason go that far.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:32 PM

17,258 posts, read 8,891,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Sure, but you know that's not what he's looking for.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:34 PM

17,258 posts, read 8,891,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That is over a half hour drive in the morning, absolutely no reason go that far.
Even with no traffic, it's a long ride.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Sure, but you know that's not what he's looking for.
Then please suggest another town which is rural/suburban where you can buy a decent house for under $300k? Burrillville? $300k will not even get you much in Smithfield/Cumberland/Lincoln. The OP doesn't seem particular, except for a focus on safety. The only box Coventry doesn't check is being a home to young professionals. You can't have it all at that price point. Whoever suggested renting first was wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island