Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 PM

33 posts, read 33,349 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am entirely unfamiliar with Rhode Island. I’m looking at the Barrington area, based on its highly ranked school system. What else is there to know about the area? Does it get extreme weather, is it a cookie cutter suburb or is there a village that residents can walk to, are children bussed to school or can they walk, is there shopping in the vicinity, how are the doctors in the area, is there a local swim team? Like I said, I know nothing! I’m doing my internet research, but I find that locals provide the best insight! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 04:30 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan12345 View Post
Hello! I am entirely unfamiliar with Rhode Island. I’m looking at the Barrington area, based on its highly ranked school system. What else is there to know about the area? Does it get extreme weather, is it a cookie cutter suburb or is there a village that residents can walk to, are children bussed to school or can they walk, is there shopping in the vicinity, how are the doctors in the area, is there a local swim team? Like I said, I know nothing! I’m doing my internet research, but I find that locals provide the best insight! Thank you!
Search Barrington here & you'll find plenty. It's mostly about schools, schools & schools. It's not a cookie cutter suburb in the sense of mind numbing tract houses. Probably the most sophisticated RI population, in one place, outside of Providence. Much beautiful residential architecture in town. Walk-able by RI standards. The small attractive village has a few shops & Shaw's Supermarket. Unfortunately, no Whole Foods. Rhode island has 3 months of solid winter. Bay front towns like Barrington experience it in its most moderate form.

The town has been given the pejorative name of "Borrington" only because, for the most part, it's a well run, educated, family town where little untoward ever happens. And, when it does it's shocking. A fine choice for a family which prioritizes probably the best public education Rhode Island has to offer. Expensive, with high property taxes, but most residents generally feel they get what their paying for. Others here may disagree.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Thank you for this information.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:48 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Many kids ride their bikes or walk to school and the local YMCA via the East Bay Bike Path, a paved off road 14.5 mile route that runs from Providence to Bristol traversing the entire town of Barrington along the way.

Barrington has its own town beach and several marinas as it's western border is located on Narragansett Bay. Furthermore, there are two rivers on its eastern end with plenty of waterfront. They empty into the bay.

Town is pretty suburban with little industry. Does have a town center along Route 114 with retail.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Thanks! Is there a nearby town with excellent schools and a bit more to do?

Last edited by Michigan12345; 09-16-2019 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 11:34 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Thanks! Is there a nearby then with excellent schools and a bit more to do?
Barrington has as much to do as most small towns in RI. East Greenwich is the other town know for its better than average (for Rhode Island) public schools. But, arguably, not much more to do in town. Depending on your interests, nearby Providence is probably the place to go for activities.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:45 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
remember Rhode island's size and nothing is far away. You will be doing most of your big box store shopping in nearby Massachusetts which borders Barrington. What bit more do you need to do?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:39 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Search Barrington here & you'll find plenty. It's mostly about schools, schools & schools. It's not a cookie cutter suburb in the sense of mind numbing tract houses. Probably the most sophisticated RI population, in one place, outside of Providence. Much beautiful residential architecture in town. Walk-able by RI standards. The small attractive village has a few shops & Shaw's Supermarket. Unfortunately, no Whole Foods. Rhode island has 3 months of solid winter. Bay front towns like Barrington experience it in its most moderate form.

The town has been given the pejorative name of "Borrington" only because, for the most part, it's a well run, educated, family town where little untoward ever happens. And, when it does it's shocking. A fine choice for a family which prioritizes probably the best public education Rhode Island has to offer. Expensive, with high property taxes, but most residents generally feel they get what their paying for. Others here may disagree.
Quote:
OP, some of the description quoted above really isn't accurate.

There's many small shops, the "Borington" stuff is just a goofy play on words and nothing more, and Barrington gets hit just as hard with snow in winter as anywhere else in RI other than the Northern RI towns.

Barrington is 15-20 minutes from Providence, 40-45 minutes from Newport, and just minutes away from nearby Seekonk, MA where you'll find just about every retail store imaginable.

The restaurant selection within 30 minutes is terrific.

There is nothing at all cookie cutter about it. The weather can be extreme during summer and winter, but it is typically not more than a handful of days in the winter or summer.

It's a very nice, safe town. It should be noted, though, that there's a snobby element.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Thanks for this description. I haven’t been able to find a central “village.” Can it be defined as a walkable town? Could we walk to get coffee, groceries, a quick bite to eat?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:09 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Thanks for this description. I haven’t been able to find a central “village.” Can it be defined as a walkable town? Could we walk to get coffee, groceries, a quick bite to eat?
He was referring to the shopping center on County Road.

Street view: https://goo.gl/maps/A6hCSbg9wSvjKT3u9

You can explore through it. There's also quite a few places along County Road as well as some on Maple Ave.

As for being walkable, it depends where you live in Barrington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island