Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 05:41 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I guess the mean high tide line will vary quite a bit with ongoing sea level rise.
Indeed, but I believe they use a mean over a lunar or solar cycle than is about 20 years long, so slowly. Still, there has to be a better way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 05:53 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Hard to imagine what that will look like. Still, the word has to get out to beachfront owners that they don't own the ocean and a bit of the shore.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:22 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Hard to imagine what that will look like. Still, the word has to get out to beachfront owners that they don't own the ocean and a bit of the shore.
It will give much better guidance on what is privately “owned” & what belongs to the public at any given time & place. Even if that may change with time.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:34 AM

164 posts, read 125,202 times
Note: Archery hunting, within 200 feet of an occupied dwelling without written permission is prohibited (RIGL 20-15-1

Being so close to the water (estuary) this will basically allow people to almost sit on our benches, but certainly be walking through the phragmites...

Old 03-12-2020, 04:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Whatever the decision, it's a hundred times better than in Massachusetts where - bizarrely - owners have their property line go into the water. It dates from the earliest days of Mass Bay Colony and it s$%ks!

Massachusetts public beach access is the absolute definition of unwarranted privilege!

Old 03-12-2020, 04:20 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Whatever the decision, it's a hundred times better than in Massachusetts where - bizarrely - owners have their property line go into the water. It dates from the earliest days of Mass Bay Colony and it s$%ks!

Massachusetts public beach access is the absolute definition of unwarranted privilege!

That is inaccurate sir.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That is inaccurate sir.
Of course it is; I would expect nothing else from you. Please let us know what law school you attended and then you can correct the real estate blog I linked to.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Of course it is; I would expect nothing else from you. Please let us know what law school you attended and then you can correct the real estate blog I linked to.

I did read it TOUGH GUY, maybe you should too?

Limited Public Beach Access Between Low and High Tide Area for “Fishing, Fowling and Navigation”
The Colonial Ordinance reserved three specific and important rights of public use within the private tidelands for “fishing, fowling and navigation.” Those permissible uses have been broadly interpreted by Massachusetts courts to include: (1) the right to fish or to collect shellfish on foot or from a vessel; (2) the right to navigate, including the right to float on a raft, windsurf, or sail; and (3) the right to hunt birds for sport or sustenance, on a boat or on foot. (Though there is no court decision on point, the Attorney General maintains that this right also covers bird-watching.)

Old 03-12-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I did read it TOUGH GUY, maybe you should too?

Limited Public Beach Access Between Low and High Tide Area for “Fishing, Fowling and Navigation”
The Colonial Ordinance reserved three specific and important rights of public use within the private tidelands for “fishing, fowling and navigation.” Those permissible uses have been broadly interpreted by Massachusetts courts to include: (1) the right to fish or to collect shellfish on foot or from a vessel; (2) the right to navigate, including the right to float on a raft, windsurf, or sail; and (3) the right to hunt birds for sport or sustenance, on a boat or on foot. (Though there is no court decision on point, the Attorney General maintains that this right also covers bird-watching.)
Honestly, I don't know why I bother … I really don't care what William Bradford, et. al., felt 400 years ago … the point, which is apparently totally lost on you "weak brain" is that this law should have been changed HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO. The fact that this is even a legal issue in 2020 is atrocious. I'm sure you'll have some snarky comment for me, but I really don't have the energy to pointlessly argue with someone who has demonstrated time and again that he (an assumption there) clearly has a BS in Contrarian Studies.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know why I bother … I really don't care what William Bradford, et. al., felt 400 years ago … the point, which is apparently totally lost on you "weak brain" is that this law should have been changed HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO. The fact that this is even a legal issue in 2020 is atrocious. I'm sure you'll have some snarky comment for me, but I really don't have the energy to pointlessly argue with someone who has demonstrated time and again that he (an assumption there) clearly has a BS in Contrarian Studies.
The point is I will walk down along the beach with my surf rod in EITHER state, and nobody is going to do a darn thing to stop me. Is the new RI proposal a welcome improvement? Sure. Would I yet prefer it to be like down south where the public has a "right of access" to all beaches? Absolutely. Not going to happen in RI or MA, EVER (for a myriad of reasons). But don't you have better things to worry about, like maybe alerting us all to the soul crushing atrocity that is the city of Warwick?

And by the way, your personal attacks don't enhance your credibility much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: