Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 12:37 PM

48 posts, read 57,193 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to relocate in the next two years and are strongly considering RI. We are currently building an at home business and are looking for an area in New England to buy 2-10 acres and build a small home to live peacefully and quietly. Rhode Island is what we have tentatively decided. Any helpful advice to help confirm our decision would be greatly appreciated.

We are originally from Michigan and have also lived in Rochester, NY, Kona, HI, Greenville, SC and currently reside in Haddon TWP, NJ just outside of Philly. It's just us with no children. I am in my 30's and she is in her 50's so schools and the need for family oriented entertainment is not important to us nor will it ever be. You can leave that part out. We plan for this to be our last move. We enjoy one off non-chain restaurants, walking, nature, more private and secluded less populated beaches to watch the sunsets, etc. We will drive longer distance to hike and understand that will not be in close proximity. Also, an area with local (organic) seasonal farmers markets would be a giant plus, 20-30 minute driving distance is "local" to us.

We have considered all of New England. We feel VT and NH are too secluded and a little too cold for us in dead of Winter. MA is too expensive near the water. Maine is way too far north. We want to be within 30 minutes of the water and plan to possibly have a sail boat eventually so the general area of Newport County and Washington County really caught our eye. We want to be close enough to something the size of Newport, preferably 30-45 minutes to give us access to entertainment, such as restaurants (seems to have good food) but do not want to be anywhere near a city such as Providence (meaning we do not want to feel its presence, distance is hard to clarify).

The nautical but country feel of the southern area of RI has us intrigued. We also considered Cape Cod but it seemed too swampy and lowland for us. Property appears to be in our budget in RI "South County" (sub 250k). I am assuming "South County" is anything south of East Greenwich. is this correct?

Right now we are trying to compare the Little Compton vs. the Narragansett side of the state. From what I read the L.C. side is very quiet with very few restaurants or shopping, maybe too secluded but the apparent lower price tag of property is attractive. Narragansett side has more of those things previously listed. The shorter drive to Newport is also appealing on the Narragansett side. 45 minutes to Newport from L.C. is a MAX LIMIT, possibly a stretch to restaurants.

So in comparison could anybody give us some insight on and general differences between L.C., Tiverton, East Greenwich, Narragansett, Sounderstown, Exeter, South Kingstown, North Kingstown, Etc.

Thank You for any help you can give and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by MI2NY2HI2; 06-13-2020 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 01:15 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2NY2HI2 View Post
My wife and I are planning to relocate in the next two years and are strongly considering RI. We are currently building an at home business and are looking for an area in New England to buy 2-10 acres and build a small home to live peacefully and quietly. Rhode Island is what we have tentatively decided. Any helpful advice to help confirm our decision would be greatly appreciated.

We are originally from Michigan and have also lived in Rochester, NY, Kona, HI, Greenville, SC and currently reside in Haddon TWP, NJ just outside of Philly. It's just us with no children. I am in my 30's and she is in her 50's so schools and the need for family oriented entertainment is not important to us nor will it ever be. You can leave that part out. We plan for this to be our last move. We enjoy one off non-chain restaurants, walking, nature, more private and secluded less populated beaches to watch the sunsets, etc. We will drive longer distance to hike and understand that will not be in close proximity. Also, an area with local (organic) seasonal farmers markets would be a giant plus, 20-30 minute driving distance is "local" to us.

We have considered all of New England. We feel VT and NH are too secluded and a little too cold for us in dead of Winter. MA is too expensive near the water. Maine is way too far north. We want to be within 30 minutes of the water and plan to possibly have a sail boat eventually so the general area of Newport County and Washington County really caught our eye. We want to be close enough to something the size of Newport, preferably 30-45 minutes to give us access to entertainment, such as restaurants (seems to have good food) but do not want to be anywhere near a city such as Providence (meaning we do not want to feel its presence, distance is hard to clarify).

The nautical but country feel of the southern area of RI has us intrigued. We also considered Cape Cod but it seemed too swampy and lowland for us. Property appears to be in our budget in RI "South County" (sub 250k). I am assuming "South County" is anything south of East Greenwich. is this correct?

Right now we are trying to compare the Little Compton vs. the Narragansett side of the state. From what I read the L.C. side is very quiet with very few restaurants or shopping, maybe too secluded but the apparent lower price tag of property is attractive. Narragansett side has more of those things previously listed. The shorter drive to Newport is also appealing on the Narragansett side. 45 minutes to Newport from L.C. is a MAX LIMIT, possibly a stretch to restaurants.

So in comparison could anybody give us some insight on and general differences between L.C., Tiverton, East Greenwich, Narragansett, Sounderstown, Exeter, South Kingstown, North Kingstown, Etc.

Thank You for any help you can give and sorry for the long post.
You seem to have a good general idea. All those towns are quite different, some more so than others but it would be easier to help if you narrow it down to a smaller number of places. South County sounds like it would be more your speed, but I would also throw in Middletown and Portsmouth (but not sure what your money can buy there these days).

Old 06-13-2020, 01:36 PM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
^^^^^
You have some excellent choices - if your budget allows. South County, Aquidneck Island & Tiverton/LC sound like what you're looking for. Each has a slightly different appeal. Since you have mentioned a budget. I might suggest your landing spot may have more to do with your budget than any particular town. Not being encumbered with children and their school & space requirements will be helpful. Living small will also be an asset.

Like you, many people find Rhode Island the Goldilocks Choice. I'm sure others here will be more than happy to get into the specifics of different towns. But, my advice is if you find something you like, with the acreage, in any of the towns you mention for under $250k, consider snapping it up!

Old 06-13-2020, 02:01 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
But, my advice is if you find something you like, with the acreage, in any of the towns you mention for under $250k, consider snapping it up!
You'd know better than I would, but I have a feeling the OP is going to have a difficult time finding 2-10 acres of buildable land (with access to utilities) for $250k or less. And if he/she does find that, I think the cost to build would probably be prohibitive. I mean, this isn't the south or Midwest; wouldn't a developer or an investor have already bought up anything even remotely close to what the OP is looking for if it made financial sense to do so?

Frankly, this sounds like a pipe dream to me.

Last edited by redplum33; 06-13-2020 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-13-2020, 07:44 PM

48 posts, read 57,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You'd know better than I would, but I have a feeling the OP is going to have a difficult time finding 2-10 acres of buildable land (with access to utilities) for $250k or less. And if he/she does find that, I think the cost to build would probably be prohibitive. I mean, this isn't the south or Midwest; wouldn't a developer or an investor have already bought up anything even remotely close to what the OP is looking for if it made financial sense to do so?

Frankly, this sounds like a pipe dream to me.
Thank you everyone for the insight. Actually, with a budget of $200k - $250k for the land alone, there are currently a few choices from 2-10 acres in the Sounderstown, Tiverton and L.C. areas. Of course this does not afford Aquidneck Island and never expect it to. And in a year and a half, our budget may change and cost of property may go up or down. The cost of property is less of an importance to us at this point in time. The differences between east of the water and west of the water is really the information we are looking for.

In the end, once we know what we want....the pipe dreams do become reality one way or another. On another note, as far as utilities go, we plan to use water catchment and solar energy if possible. RI is a good place for solar and I have done a bit of research on this knowing what will be necessary to make it happen. Last I checked RI does allow off grid living as well. Sometimes that info is tough to get complete clarity on though.

So, is "South County" only considered the west side of the water? I will do more looking at individual towns this week, possibly tomorrow and write back with a short list.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2NY2HI2 View Post
So, is "South County" only considered the west side of the water? I will do more looking at individual towns this week, possibly tomorrow and write back with a short list.

South County is generally considered everything down Route 4/1 after East Greenwich.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:10 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
South County is a colloquial name for Washington County, which is west of the water. West is more connected to the outside world (I-95, train stations, airport) and has more in the way of woods, but with easy access to both crowded and secluded beaches. East of the bay has more of a coastal feel and is well connected to the Massachusetts South Coast region. In general, west of the bay would be less expensive unless you are looking near beaches.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,198 times
Quote:
South County is generally considered everything down Route 4/1 after East Greenwich.
No.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
No.
Yes it is.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-14-2020 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-14-2020, 07:56 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
South County is a colloquial name for Washington County, which is west of the water. West is more connected to the outside world (I-95, train stations, airport) and has more in the way of woods, but with easy access to both crowded and secluded beaches. East of the bay has more of a coastal feel and is well connected to the Massachusetts South Coast region. In general, west of the bay would be less expensive unless you are looking near beaches.
Quote:
Quote:
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island