Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 14,160 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating for work to central new england. I will be working in Worcester and Providence. I'm a Florida girl and don't know that area, cost of living, transportation. I would love to live in Boston metro but can see that it is really expensive. I'm mid 30's and dont love the idea of living with 20's or 3 other people. Ideally would like to live in middle of both cities and close to public tranport. Just thinking of winter season and the nightmare with traffic and weather conditions. I have a dog, love the outdoors, near beach (at least driving distance) and cultural opportunities. I'm also looking for a new church family. Is that too much to ask for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 AM

583 posts, read 1,324,680 times
Why don't you look at the North Smithfield area. Close to Prov, and on the Worcester route. The towns over the MA line aren't as nice or close to funner things to do.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks. I will look into that. I definitely think I want to be in between cities I will be working. Any suggestions on reliable roomate sites? My goal is to find someone in my age bracket, professional and Christian lifestyle.
**what about Woonsocket?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:14 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,680 times
Struggling/depressed old mill city, it'd be a huge change from Fla. I think craigslist is most pop for roomate stuff. You could reach out to an area church or group maybe for ideas, maybe there is a group on meetup.com

Old 05-17-2011, 02:30 PM

thanks, I will give that a try.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:46 PM

77 posts, read 187,663 times
With everything you like, I would suggest living in Providence. You say that you will be working in Worcester and Providence--is this for one job, or is one part time? If jsut one job and you work different days in different towns, again, I say Providence. Otherwise, stay close to your full time job. You have great events in Providence, (Waterfire in the summer, theater, concerts, the mall, India Point Park anytime), you can commute to Worcester on the days that you have to work there, and be closer to the beach when you want to go (with a dog, you can't take them on the beach after Memorial Day and before Labor Day, but any other day of the year is fine, and it is nice to be closer so that when you get that good day, you can take them out there). You didn't say a preference on your church, but there are plenty of those to choose from in Providence including the 1st Baptist church in the country (not just First Baptist, but THE first Baptist--if you're Baptist of course). You could possibly live by yourself (rental rates are pretty affordable) and it is a pretty dog friendly town.
Just a suggestion--good luck!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:41 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleapt View Post
Hi, I am relocating for work to central new england. I will be working in Worcester and Providence. I'm a Florida girl and don't know that area, cost of living, transportation. I would love to live in Boston metro but can see that it is really expensive. I'm mid 30's and dont love the idea of living with 20's or 3 other people. Ideally would like to live in middle of both cities and close to public tranport. Just thinking of winter season and the nightmare with traffic and weather conditions. I have a dog, love the outdoors, near beach (at least driving distance) and cultural opportunities. I'm also looking for a new church family. Is that too much to ask for?
Yes that is too much to ask for, especially "in middle of both cities". You will have to sacrafice a few of those. I second the N. Smithfield suggestion, it's probably the best compromise. You won't be tooo far from the beach and everything and it gets you a little closer to Worcester than let's say living on the East Side of Providence. Consider Lincoln as well, although that tends to be pricier. Forget about public transit unless you're in Providence.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,203 times
If you want to be close to the fun stuff that the city offers, live in Providence. There are people of all types in the city, including those who are Christian minded, but be aware that both MA and RI are fairly politically liberal, including the Christians.

You may find that you don't need to visit Boston very often if you live in Providence, but when you want to, you can hop on the train or bus. Providence is about 40 minutes from Worcester as well (though give yourself 45 min during rush hour). There's no train from Providence to Worcester, but the commute isn't bad. Most people commute the opposite way (Worcester to Providence). Living in North Smithfield would only put you about 15 minutes closer to Worcester than living in Providence, even during the morning rush.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:16 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Living in North Smithfield would only put you about 15 minutes closer to Worcester than living in Providence, even during the morning rush.
That all depends on where in Providence you're coming from.

At what times would you be commuting to both places? That might help narrow down the most strategic location for you.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleapt View Post
I would give Providence a shot. It's a neat city with great bars and restaurants and other things to do. Though, the Smithfield suggestion is a good one, too. Since you're moving from far away, it might be hard to get everything perfect the first time, so, try one of those two out and get out once your lease is up. It sounds like you will be doing some heavy commuting so you will get a feel for what is doable, living wise, once you get into the swing of it.

As far as roommates go, I think craigslist is the most popular route. Keep in mind that (as someone else said, too) New England is religiously liberal for the most part. You may have to broaden your search a bit in terms of finding someone who adverises themselves as Christian. Or, maybe if you put a "housing wanted" add on craigslist, someone will respond to you who has similar religious values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island