U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2008, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 12,105 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted and am currently stricken with having to decide between School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Rhode Island School of Design for graduate studies in Interior Architecture. I have visited both campuses. I love Chicago and all it has to offer, but I feel like RISD may be the better school. Though Providence is not quite as appealing to me as Chicago, it is in close proximity to Boston and New York. Chicago is more affordable, but school is more expensive. Both situations have very appealing elements to them. This decision is stressing me out! Can anybody shed any relevant light on the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 PM

4,052 posts, read 5,480,168 times
Here's the ranking for the program at RISD- apparently the program is hard to get in to as well- have you been accepted?

Our (and Your) RISD Blog Archive RISD Ranks High Again: Details (http://our.risd.edu/2008/03/28/risd-ranks-high-more-details/ - broken link)

A master's is what-- a one or two year program? You could live in Prov for that time and then move to Chicago if that's where you'd rather be.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,672,333 times
RISD is a very prestigious school--the US News ranking would make it a slam dunk to me.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 AM

3,288 posts, read 6,345,653 times
From Wikepedia:

"The Rhode Island School of Design (abbreviated as RISD, pronounced /ˈrɪzdi/) is a fine arts college located in Providence, Rhode Island. It was founded in 1877 and is currently located at the base of College Hill and contiguous with the Brown University campus. The two institutions share social, academic, and community resources and offer joint courses. RISD is considered to be one of the best fine arts schools in the nation, often sharing the spot with Cooper Union. It is commonly known as the "Harvard" of art schools. It is one of the most selective art schools in the nation, placing much emphasis on the applicant's portfolio, and how they accomplished RISD's infamous "hometest" — three drawing assignments."

I don't think you could go wrong with RISD and I think you'll find living on the East Side of Providence a very positive experience. The area has lots to offer in addition to the 50 minute drive to Boston and 3 hrs to NYC.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,354 times
If you go to SAIC, you can become an architect someday. The RSID program is not accredited by NAAB, so you would need another degree to be eligible for licensure. It is also not accredited by CIDA, so you couldn't become a certified interior designer either. SAIC has been ranked among the top three fine arts degrees in the US by most rankings, and generally outranks RISD by a spot or two. It has the best campus art museum in the world -- the second largest art museum in the US. And it is in Chicago, which has a larger population of students than Providence has a population of people.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 AM

10 posts, read 8,441 times
My brother got his master's in Architecture from RISD ('09). I'll ask him and maybe I can pass his opinion on to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island