Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 09:32 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m laughing thinking about a call center staffed with 500 people with thick Rhode Island accents. LOL

I talk to RI people at Amica and Citizens Bank who don’t have much of the local accent so it’s certainly possible to staff it with intelligible people.
Not sure what makes you think there are a lot of RI accents left in these parts. More likely to be either a Boston accent or Brooklyn NY- pouring from these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 09:49 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times
Good morning, Fidelity Investments. How may I help youze? More likely they'll be responding to email inquiries.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:31 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,900,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Good morning, Fidelity Investments. How may I help youze? More likely they'll be responding to email inquiries.

Yeah because no one from Massachusetts has a funny accent.

For the record, I actually dig both accents, but let's be real here.

Old 05-08-2021, 01:25 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Yeah because no one from Massachusetts has a funny accent.
For the record, I actually dig both accents, but let's be real here.
The Rhode Island accent is a variation of "Brooklynese", originally spoken in immigration heavy northeastern cities from Buffalo to Philly. I understand it varies from city to city, largely depending on the degree of Italian or Irish immigration. Education has done much to homogenize it all - even in RI.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:14 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The Rhode Island accent is a variation of "Brooklynese", originally spoken in immigration heavy northeastern cities from Buffalo to Philly. I understand it varies from city to city, largely depending on the degree of Italian or Irish immigration. Education has done much to homogenize it all - even in RI.
I believe it is more Cockney English- yous or youze being very common- also the treatment of "r" and "h". H sometimes being pronounce "Hach" and/or dropping of H- such as "weel" for "wheel".

Old 05-08-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I believe it is more Cockney English- yous or youze being very common- also the treatment of "r" and "h". H sometimes being pronounce "Hach" and/or dropping of H- such as "weel" for "wheel".
I could have it all wrong. But, my understanding stems for a long conversation on the subject I had with a Brown professor years ago. The Rhode Island English accent is a derivative of "Brooklynese". Largely influenced today by the combinations of major Italian & Irish immigration to the cities of the northeast. The differences in accents being whether or not Italian or Irish numbers prevailed. To wit, the difference between a Boston accent (Irish) & a Rhode Island (Italian) accent and a New York accent and a Philly accent. All having certain nuances in common, while all having pronounced differences.

As far as Cockney English influence. Could that be Maine & New Hampshire?

Old 05-08-2021, 11:09 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Really? Someone from Boston is going to diss a RI accent?

Old 05-09-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Really? Someone from Boston is going to diss a RI accent?
There are wonderful variations of both the Boston & Rhode Island (Newport & Providence) accents, more purely & directly associated with mother England, which can be poetry to the ears. Just not the Brooklynese versions commonly heard on the streets in both places. I followed a perfect stranger one day on a street in Newport, just to hear her talk to her companion. I swear she sounded like she could have been Queen Elizabeth's American sister.

However, as someone who speaks with the most bland, uninteresting midwestern intonation, I can appreciate most all of the robust local accents in the northeast.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:37 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
I personally think the strongest "RI accent" can be found in Fall River, Massachusetts.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I personally think the strongest "RI accent" can be found in Fall River, Massachusetts.
Depends on if the Portuguese immigration favored the Italian or Irish version of English. I personally think the FR dialect is one in its own, but definitely not Boston Irish. I have had old school non-Portuguese friends in FR who sound a bit like Mainers. No Brooklynese whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island