U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,748 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Our son will be attending New England Institute of Technology in the fall. We did some driving around and the area looked nice. He will need a place to live while he is there. I was looking at apartments on line in the area.
We are from the Boston area & know that neighborhoods can change in a short distance. Are there any areas that we should stay away from for him? Obviously with college expenses we are looking at getting something as reasonable as possible, but we need him to be safe along with comfortable with his surroundings. He's our first to go off to school and we are worried of course. The school is near the airport so he just needs to be a reasonable distance away from there. Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:47 AM

3,727 posts, read 9,276,367 times
All of the areas near NEIT in Warwick are pretty safe - Hillsgrove, Greenwood, Norwood, Buttonwoods. Conimicut/Oakland Beach, both just a bit further, used to be seedy areas but have been re-vitalized in recent years.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 AM

257 posts, read 1,175,126 times
There are no high crime areas in Warwick left, he'd be fine anywhere.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,315,393 times
Ditto what ProvGuy said.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Housing

Thanks folks. I was looking at among other things rel estate values etc. There were some really low (low 100's) home prices leading me to believe that the areas were probably less desirable and or even a little "scary". It seemed to be north & east of the airport mainly. Is that just the way of the market? I'm used to the Boston area where the smallest house is way overpriced anyway!!! Heck - I may move there with him.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:46 PM

257 posts, read 1,175,126 times
Around the airport the homes are cheap...because they're next to the airport. A lot of them might be taken anyway if the runway extension ever comes to fruition.

Conimicut and Oakland Beach used to be quasi-rough areas back in the day. They are a little lower income, but they're still suburban and pretty safe. Anyone who says a neighborhood in Warwick is unsafe it too used to living in the suburbs. A place deemed "unsafe" in Warwick would probly have a lower crime rate than one of the safest in an actual city.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvGuy View Post
Around the airport the homes are cheap...because they're next to the airport. A lot of them might be taken anyway if the runway extension ever comes to fruition.

Conimicut and Oakland Beach used to be quasi-rough areas back in the day. They are a little lower income, but they're still suburban and pretty safe. Anyone who says a neighborhood in Warwick is unsafe it too used to living in the suburbs. A place deemed "unsafe" in Warwick would probly have a lower crime rate than one of the safest in an actual city.
Thanks very much for the detailed info. I'm feeling better about it with the feedback I'm getting from you people. Gives me something to work with rather than going into this blind. Any additional info is more than welcome. Thanks again.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 AM

100 posts, read 412,952 times
Quote:
Thanks folks. I was looking at among other things rel estate values etc. There were some really low (low 100's)
Most (if not all) of these homes are located in places such as Oakland Beach and Conimicut. Many of these homes are older and quite small, less than 1000 square feet. Most were summer homes at one point, prior to hurricane Carol Hurricane Carol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The storm surge from Carol wracked many coastal neighborhoods along Narragansett Bay, some have come back stronger than others. I was born and raised in Warwick and moved back here in 2006 mostly because the city is a great place to raise a family. It's very safe and close to everything. Most crimes are of the smash and grab variety, so as long as your son doesn't leave his valuables in an unlocked vehicle he'll have a difficult time even finding trouble. I live a mile or two from NEIT and other than the noise from the airport I have no complaints.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 PM

102 posts, read 317,815 times
Warwick has one of the best police departments in the state. And well it should be for the high taxes there. Its a generally very safe community. If he wants to buy a house there are some seemingly nice buys at around $200K. Look in the neighborhoods of Hoxsie, Norwood, Greenwood. They are all within 4 miles of your son's school.
ZIP: 02889 02888 02886

Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 12,048 times
Hi, I am also from the Boston area and my daughter is also going to be attending NEIT. In fact she is taking a few courses there over the summer and will be starting the automotive program in October.
I too am seeking a reasonably priced safe apartment for my daughter.
I have contacted the Housing dept there and got a few addresses of Apartment complexes that they use. Unfortunately when I go onto www.apartmentratings.com -- I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with the ratings/evaluations these places have received. Of the 5 places they gave me, at least 3 were run by the same management/owners, all three had complaints about mold, noise, questionable tenants. Many evals had don't ever live here or run away- don't walk- run from these complexes! type of referrals.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced safe apartment in the Warrick, West Warrick, Cranston area?
Are there any NEIT parents/students (especially girls, but boys are not excluded) out there who might be interested in meeting and/or joining together to find a reasonably priced safe apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island