Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 28,377 times

Advertisements

We are moving to somewhere closet to Seekonk, and found a place in South Seekonk? Anyone knows about the area? It's Greenhalgh drive in Seekonk, and seems like it takes only 12 minutes to providence. Income tax is lower in MA, so it would be nice.
Any information about the neighborhood is helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:25 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Seekonk is a great area for people who commute to Providence or Fall River. Though I never have heard that area called "South Seekonk" (it's just Seekonk), you are right off of Rte. 6 which has every store you will need really (Target, Walmart, Super Stop & Shop, Linen 'N' Things, etc.). As you mentioned, Providence is about 15-20 minutes from there (easiest way for you will be to take Rte 6 to Fall River Ave./114A to 195-W). 12 minutes would be a little too quick, especially with the lights on Rte 6. I used to live in East Providence, and it would take us about 10-15 minutes to get to Target in Seekonk.

For mall type stores, Providence Place Mall is the closest for you. Emerald Square Mall is more of a hike (and Swansea Mall is pretty much dead now, so I wouldn't head there).

For schools, there are only 2 elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school serving Seekonk. The high school I know is solid, and I knew several people who graduated from there that I went to college with or met after college. If you're interested in private schools, there are some in the area (East Providence and Providence) for you to look into.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 AM

156 posts, read 438,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonruru View Post
We are moving to somewhere closet to Seekonk, and found a place in South Seekonk? Anyone knows about the area? It's Greenhalgh drive in Seekonk, and seems like it takes only 12 minutes to providence. Income tax is lower in MA, so it would be nice.
Any information about the neighborhood is helpful. Thanks!
FYI: You pay the income tax of the state you work in, not the state you live in.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 28,377 times
Thanks for the info, wxjay & jenkins86.
Do you happen to know any good preschool or day care around the area?

From what I heard, people pay income tax in the state where you live. Which is right?? I am confused.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 AM

156 posts, read 438,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonruru View Post
Thanks for the info, wxjay & jenkins86.
Do you happen to know any good preschool or day care around the area?

From what I heard, people pay income tax in the state where you live. Which is right?? I am confused.
I live in Rhode Island and work in Massachusetts and pay Massachusetts income tax, not Rhode Island's. My brother in law lives in New Hampshire and works in Massachusetts. He pays Mass. income tax and not New Hampshires (not that they have one). Sorry, can't help you on the school questions. Good luck on your move.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,277 times
If you work in Mass and live in RI then you get a refund on Mass income tax and you owe RI. Mine always ends up so I get refunded more than I owe to RI though, so I get a decent refund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island