Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 43,964 times

Advertisements

oh wise RI teachers, please advise me!

I am a current CA math teacher at an urban school and I will be relocating to RI this summer. I was really hoping to begin teaching this fall, but maybe I was too hopeful.

I applied for my secondary math teaching credential in Feb and it was found deficient. I just needed to send in verification of this and that, but I don't know how long it will take for my credential to finally be approved.

When are middle/high school teachers usually hired in RI?

Is there a need for math teachers such that I might find a position in August?

Thank you for any advise/encouragement you might have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 04:56 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Math & Science teachers are in demand throughout all the New England states. Many have retired. The sooner your certification issues are cleared up- the better.

Teachers for this autumn are currently being hired in Connecticut-probably RI and Mass as well. A good way to become integrated into the system is through long term substitute positions.

From my experience in Connecticut- almost each town has its own school district- and you apply directly to that towns board of education- the same is true for RI.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,694 times
Hi - I taught in Rhode Island for 8 years. Compared to Texas (where I am now), RI Dept of Education processed things fairly quickly, so I don't think you'll have too much of a wait once you get your necessary items in.

Unlike many other parts of the country, schools are just getting out now in Rhode Island, so many schools are actively hiring right now, and will likely continue intensely for the next week or so. Then they might slow down for a few weeks of administrative vacation, and pick up again towards the end of July and very beginning of August. In my experience, most schools have filled positions around the 1st or 2nd week of August.

When will you be in Rhode Island to interview? It might be hard for you trying to obtain work from CA... definitely apply individually to schools/districts, and fax your resume to as many school as possible. Fortunately math is an "in demand" subject...but compared to CA, you will find a MUCH smaller number of options for positions.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island