Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:39 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
Seems like there are some out of state poster lumping us New England states as one. Since this is a RI forum, in terms of the whole England thing, I find those Puritan traits are pretty much gone in RI, (save for some exclusive Quaker gathering or Blue Blood function)-not like in Mass and the northern parts of New England. RI has always seemed more Italian-American than anything else to me.
Actually, while there is a lot of Italian influence in the state, one third of the population is either English or Irish.

The six largest ancestry groups in Rhode Island are: Irish (19%), Italian (19%), French Canadian (17.3%),[44] English (12%), Hispanic 11% (predominantly Puerto Rican and Dominican, with smaller Central American populations),[45] and Portuguese (8.7%).

Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM

212 posts, read 699,588 times
I have lived in and traveled in many states.Some of my best memories were from rhode island.Maybe it's my attitude.Skewzze me mamm,could you,...? Hello sir cudga,....? What the fug didga say,...dooshbag? A wise man once said,..."better to be too polite,....than a tiny bit insulting".I was young, crazy, polite, and not afraid to scare a coupla would be tough guys.There are good and friendly people all over the US.You have to treat people like you want to be treated.See through those peoples eyes,as you are looking into theirs.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 15,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post

My sister, who lived in RI until she went to college in 1995 in Texas and never moved back to the state, calls it the "RI attitude" also. She says that whenever she comes back to the state, within 24 hours she FEELS herself complaining and being more negative.
I've lived on both coasts and agree that New Englanders are tough nuts to crack, just set in their ways and not very adventurous. And yes, many Rhode Islanders are cranky, but I think it's because of the crappy weather. Go out on a beautiful sunny day and everyone's smiling and joking with one another. Six months of freezing rain and snow can break even the most optimistic person.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 AM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
Well, we here in RI don't have 6 months of rain and snow. I agree though that people aren't as adventurous. Families settled here and stayed, as opposed to those who headed West, far from family and friends. Makes a difference how open you are when you have to travel hundreds of miles simply to go to see a doctor, as people still do in more rural parts of this country. I never met so many different types of people when I lived in the Midwest for a couple years. In this corner of our country, people settle into their comfortable, leafy suburbs and seem to forget that other people and places exist (and generally speaking spend a lot of time complaining about how nothing ever changes).Read more: RI Attitude

Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
Well, we here in RI don't have 6 months of rain and snow.[/url]

Thank you terrasurf. I get so tired of these non-facts getting tossed out so nonchalantly. The facts do matter folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island