U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,047 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone knew how easy it is to find a room/apt to rent near the Women and childrens hospital as I am gonna be working there next month. I am from out of town and so when i looked on CL i wasn't able to really know which streets are closet to it. If anyone can provide a little help it would be great. Also how much does rent usually go for around there and is it in a safe neighborhood? Thanks alot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 02:49 PM

18 posts, read 71,155 times
The neighborhood around Women & Infants is pretty rough. You'd be much better off getting a place around and between Broadway & Atwells. It's still fairly close and lots of renting opportunities there. You can take Service Road 7 (parallels 95) right into the back parking lot of RI/W&I hospitals.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM

4,195 posts, read 10,783,389 times
Definitely not a good or safe area in which to live. Other choices that are fairly close: Edgewood section of Cranston or the East Side of Providence closer to Brown/RISD.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:21 AM

257 posts, read 1,287,125 times
Yeah it's rough right around the hospitals, plus very noisy. If you're looking for walking distance, I'd go with downtown or Federal Hill/Broadway. The Lockwood neighborhood (just northwest of the hospital) has been cleaned up a lot lately but it's still directly adjacent to some not so nice streets.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 8,047 times
thanks alot

Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,906,915 times
Fuhgeddaboudit. The residential area immediately surrounding W&I is the pits. You will need a car and and are better off living on the East Side of Providence or in a nearby suburb.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 24,795 times
There is a place that specializes in Medical Residents / Fellowship rentals with condos that are just 5 minutes to the Hospitals but in a much safer area. They are listed in craigslist under On The Hill at 401 305 0008.

I know someone staying in one of the condos - they are really nice and about a 20 step walk down a pedestrian walkway to lots of restaurants, stores etc but not right on the main drag so quieter than you would expect.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,763 times
I agree with MaryAnnl, I rent some apartments in Fed. Hill and you can find some nice places around the restaurants for around $1000. Two things: 1. You can't walk to work, you'll need to drive. 2. You really need to shop around for apartments. I find that the closer to Atwells and Route 95, the more activity and better chance for an enjoyable, safe stay. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: