Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:18 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,465 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I will possibly be spending a year out there for a national school exchange program. Everywhere I have always lived has required a car. Poor public transportations and everything is so spread out. Is it possible to live in Providence without a car? Is it necessary to have one or is there pretty good public transport? ANY help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:14 PM

9,287 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Yes, if you live downtown, in Federal Hill or on the East Side you can make it without a car. There are RIPTA buses and trolleys or if you locate close in enough it is a walkable city. Unfortunately, there are no good food markets downtown (the last big ones have been closed for awhile), but the Hill has plenty of food and so does the East Side. Also Peapod service delivers for $7 if you do a big shopping. A bicycle or scooter would be nice if you can have one. There are lot of students from Brown U, J& W, and RISD who live here w/o cars.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,465 times
Great! Thanks a lot for the response. : )

Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,821 times
Huh? They eat at school,have pizza delivered and drive mom's Mercedes at home.
You can exist in Prov. without a car but whether that "living" is a matter for debate.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 PM

38 posts, read 162,232 times
I recommend getting a bike. It's definitely doable living there without a car.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 AM

688 posts, read 2,134,649 times
Getting around in Providence without your own wheels is a non issue. The problems start when you decide you want to go somewhere else in Rhode Island once in a while. While there are a couple bus lines going down the main arteries be prepared to spend a long time on a bus. You'll have easy access to Boston/NYC via train though.

So yes, like the others said, living in Providence without a car will most of the time be quite allright. The thing with groceries though can be quite a hassle. Hollytree mentioned Peapod delivering for 7 dollars. While that's true, that also requires you to spend at least 100 dollars on your grocery shopping. If you want to buy less, the fee increases. Also, there's a minimum order amount, I believe it's 50 or 60 dollars. So Peapod isn't for everybody. You do have a couple Whole Foods fairly close to Downtown though. But since you live by yourself getting groceries might not be a big priority for you anyways.
Have fun on the hills with your bike.

Last edited by GermanSpy; 08-16-2008 at 03:21 AM..

Old 08-16-2008, 07:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,133 times
Try to rent in Wayland Square. You can walk to Eastside Market no problem, even in winter, and there are buses around to take you to other buses to get around. Make sure you have laundry in the building tho'.
If you are a student, you could live closer to Brown/RISD and still have many of those benefits.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:32 PM

257 posts, read 1,335,217 times
If I didn't work in Mass I'd ditch my car. You'll be fine without one as long as you live near work and aren't lazy. I rarely use mine other than for work.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,173 times
live on the east side or federal hill and you can ride your bike everywhere no problem.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 PM

12 posts, read 42,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Try to rent in Wayland Square. You can walk to Eastside Market no problem, even in winter, and there are buses around to take you to other buses to get around. Make sure you have laundry in the building tho'.
If you are a student, you could live closer to Brown/RISD and still have many of those benefits.
Wayland Square is indeed the easiest place to do this. 2 supermarkets, pharmacy, MD offices, bookstores, cafes, etc. If you have a bike, you can pretty much access the whole city. I know 2-3 people living in PVD without a car quite happily.

PS: There actually will be a market coming to downtown shortly. Work is already under way at the space on Weybosset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island