Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:16 PM

17 posts, read 66,082 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Seattle, WA and we are moving to the Providence area. We found a place on Craigslist in Central Falls and wanted to know whether this was a good choice. The pictures of the inside and outside look great and we have read different things about the city in other threads. We are trying to do everything by email so we can just move right in when we get there. Any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:33 PM

20 posts, read 133,672 times
Central Falls(locals call it CF) is probably the most ghetto place in Rhode Island. I would stay away unless you don't mind living in a miserable area. You probably found a good deal because anyone who wants to improve their lifestyle would not live in CF. Personally, I would not live there unless I have no other choice. Demographic wise there are a lot of Central America immigrants living in that town.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 PM

54 posts, read 233,289 times
Central Falls is not one of the best spots near Providence. It is a very small city land mass wise, but has a history of crime. If the price is low, it is probably low for a reason. You may want to get a hotel and look at a few places before you move in sight unseen in person. What are you looking to pay for rent?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I would NOT rent in Central Falls. Years and years ago, it was a very ethnic tight knit community for people of French descent. That is no longer the case. It is now a melting pot of lower income minorities. I'm all for diversity but think CF is not a safe place in which to settle. If you want to stay closer to the city, think more in line of the East Side of Providence, Oakhill in Pawtucket, Rumford area of East Providence, Edgewood section of Cranston.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
If we knew your budget for rent and what you're looking for in an apt, we could direct you to more suitable places.....

Old 08-18-2008, 07:29 AM

17 posts, read 66,082 times
we would love to have to have a 3 bedroom for lower then $1000. But are willing to do a two bedroom. We would like to buy something after about a year so that is all we are looking to rent for. I got a job in Seekonk, MA. So we are trying to stay in that vacinity. We don't like the idea of the east side of providence seeing as we heard not such great things about it. Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
With your budget try the Darlington or Quality Hill area of Pawtucket. Also Rumford, in East Providence. That will give you a ten minute or less commute to Seekonk.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 AM

54 posts, read 233,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkico99 View Post
We don't like the idea of the east side of providence seeing as we heard not such great things about it.

I am not sure what you heard, but the East side is one of the nicest parts of Providence and is worth considering. It may have been the south side of Providence you heard bad things about.

Like Hollytree was saying, I would look into the county side/slater park section of Pawtucket that is near Seekonk and also parts of East Providence. You also have Johnston. You would be just west of providence and about 20 mins, from Seekonk (route 6 to 195). Not that the above places have a major crime problem, there is pretty much no crime in any part of Johnston.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:01 PM

166 posts, read 705,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I would NOT rent in Central Falls. Years and years ago, it was a very ethnic tight knit community for people of French descent. That is no longer the case. It is now a melting pot of lower income minorities. I'm all for diversity but think CF is not a safe place in which to settle.
I spent my early childhood in CF back when it wasn't that bad and still mostly a Canadian/Irish town. It was very tight knit. Everyone knew each other... the shop keepers were on a first name basis with people and parents had no problem letting their children out to play day or night. By the mid 1980s my parents felt they couldn't raise kids there anymore and left. It's very sad. I'm all for diversity as well, however I do believe certain ethnic groups become better citizens than others... Asians and Indians come to mind. And I don't buy the argument that CF is the way it is now because people are poor. It was always a lower class town, but the people who used to live there 20 or more years ago still treated their town, other people and the law with respect.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:22 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,015 times
CF has a lot of drug problems. You don't hear of too much violent crime (this year the exception), but overall quality of life is not too good there. I'd recommend eastern Pawtucket (Darlington), East Providence or the East Side of Providence if you want some sort of urban living close to Seekonk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island