Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:40 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times

Advertisements

It's time to water the tree of liberty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 8,158 times
Default Never heard of excise tax for car until getting the bill from a collector last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcandy View Post
Never heard of excise tax for car until getting the bill from a collector last month (for the yr 2006). I wonder why they charge too much for a 1999 car in PVD. And dont know what i can do abt my 2007 tax since i moved fr PVD to South Kingstown in 2007 but didnt renew my registration ( they are also after me for 2007 tax but for PVD city--> freaking high too). And what happens if i dont pay for them?
Excise tax is supposed to cover roads being in good repair, schooling if I remember right, and a few other things. Aren't you glad you pay these fee's for the priviledge of using Rhode Island's wonderful roads that are guaranteed to make sure you make it in for repairs on a regular basis and costing you thousands a year. If the roads were maintained in better condition maybe people would not feel so offended at having to pay this tax. Isn't it just special how every drain grate, every pipe of one sort or the other that sticks up out of the road lines up just perfectly with either your right or left tire. Guarantee's you will be in getting repairs on a regular basis along with all the other defects in the roads. So, in effect, you are paying a repair bill you did not cause and getting whacked more than once for tax because of it! You pay for the good repair of them, but do you really get good repaired roads? Not in a long time has Rhode Island had roads anywhere near what some of our neighboring states do. Want to see and drive on some nice roads minus the grates, protrusions and other excessive defects, then go to Maine, or Vermont or New Hampshire to name a few and they have more snow than us and more reason to have lousy roads than R.I., but have better.

What happens if you do not pay???
When you go to register or re-register again, the computer will pull up that you are delinquent on paying and you will then need to make the payment at your town hall clerks tax payments office and do be sure to get it stamped that it is paid in full to take back to the DMV. Without the stamp you still will not get to register. How do I know. Because when this happened to me I was not told that it had to be stamped and so I got to run twice and over two days what should have been right then and there. Rhode Island is great for not giving you all the info you need and so, therefore, you get to do multiple running and or due to not being informed you can also incurr extra charges.

Do make sure when you go to do anything at the DMV that you get the name of the person you dealt with, and ask if there is anything else you need to comply, and make a quick note of what was said for further reference if needed, as there have been times I have needed this type of info.

Hope this helps to explain what you were asking along with some commentary on the great state of Rhode Island! One way or the other they will find a way to suck you dry and the life out of you!!! But hey, don't worry, be happy! You're in craptastic Rhode Island.

Last edited by My2Scents; 12-24-2009 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Forgot to include a piece of information.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 15,362 times
Default Here is an update on the Excise Tax per WPRI

[url=http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/politics/most-drivers-in-ri-to-face-car-tax]Drivers in most Rhode Island towns face car tax | WPRI.com[/url]
Updated: Friday, 23 Jul 2010, 2:34 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 19 Jul 2010, 3:50 PM EDT

The timing of your bill may depend on where you live. I live in Warwick and received my tax bill July 17th but the first quarterly payment was due July 15. Hummm....

I am still working on finding the Rhode Island Vehicle Value (a committee of five local assessors and two state officials set up by the General Assembly for just that purpose. They use data from the National Automobile Dealers Association) so I can determine if I ever want to buy another car. Which would not hurt the local economy... but this process is motivating me not to.

Bottom line, you may be paying more next year. AND yes, I would move too out of RI if I had not just MOVED here two years ago (bought a house- ugh!). I thought it was odd when folks that lived in RI kept asking me why in the world would I want to live here. Homework, homework, homework.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 15,362 times
Default The tax does not cover roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Scents View Post
Excise tax is supposed to cover roads being in good repair, schooling if I remember right, and a few other things. Aren't you glad you pay these fee's for the priviledge of using Rhode Island's wonderful roads that are guaranteed to make sure you make it in for repairs on a regular basis and costing you thousands a year. If the roads were maintained in better condition maybe people would not feel so offended at having to pay this tax. Isn't it just special how every drain grate, every pipe of one sort or the other that sticks up out of the road lines up just perfectly with either your right or left tire. Guarantee's you will be in getting repairs on a regular basis along with all the other defects in the roads. So, in effect, you are paying a repair bill you did not cause and getting whacked more than once for tax because of it! You pay for the good repair of them, but do you really get good repaired roads? Not in a long time has Rhode Island had roads anywhere near what some of our neighboring states do. Want to see and drive on some nice roads minus the grates, protrusions and other excessive defects, then go to Maine, or Vermont or New Hampshire to name a few and they have more snow than us and more reason to have lousy roads than R.I., but have better.

What happens if you do not pay???
When you go to register or re-register again, the computer will pull up that you are delinquent on paying and you will then need to make the payment at your town hall clerks tax payments office and do be sure to get it stamped that it is paid in full to take back to the DMV. Without the stamp you still will not get to register. How do I know. Because when this happened to me I was not told that it had to be stamped and so I got to run twice and over two days what should have been right then and there. Rhode Island is great for not giving you all the info you need and so, therefore, you get to do multiple running and or due to not being informed you can also incurr extra charges.

Do make sure when you go to do anything at the DMV that you get the name of the person you dealt with, and ask if there is anything else you need to comply, and make a quick note of what was said for further reference if needed, as there have been times I have needed this type of info.

Hope this helps to explain what you were asking along with some commentary on the great state of Rhode Island! One way or the other they will find a way to suck you dry and the life out of you!!! But hey, don't worry, be happy! You're in craptastic Rhode Island.
It pays a percent for the city in which the car is registered in and the school - at least in Warwick. AND I agree. I have lived in 5 states. RI DMV is by far the worst!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,912 times
Welcome to the world Rhode Island, as I have stated many times RI is tolerable if you never own anything.
Visit: RhodeIslandSucks.com

Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Rosco,

We all agree the car excise taxes are much too high.

But to avoid taxes by not owning anything is like not getting a job so you don't have to pay any income tax or not having any furniture because it might break.

On the other hand, living lightly on the planet is a good thing and it would be better if more people gave up their cars. Most can't of course.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:52 PM

Owning less is a sure way to avoid paying incredibly high possession taxes in the State of Rhode Island.
Living lightly on the Planet, is not the point.
Middle class citizens being raped on property taxes, now that IS the point.

i think Al Gore should live lightly on the planet, but of course he DOESN'T!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 PM

564 posts, read 1,879,772 times
I drive older less valuable cars and a good part of that choice is to avoid taxes. It's a little John Galt-ish...at least to me....like buying a TV in MA on a tax holiday weekend- a little way of flipping off the state.

I looked into it, it would be cheaper for me to live in Mass, tax wise. Of course my evil rifles coulldn't come with me... :-(

Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,007 times
Rhode Island is literally going to "HELL". The huge amount of working people are getting feed up with the "good old boy" system. I have lived here pretty much all my life and I could see that RI is a place for the rich and welfare. We take care of them. The rich get tax breaks and the welfare "scums" take advantage of the inconsistent monitoring of the program. Free education, free RIPTA bus passses, free utility assistance, free educational assistance for state colleges...come on!!!!! I have worked since 15 years old...that makes it 29 years of employment and paying taxes...let me ask for one red dime and the answer is NO! I bought into this bull**** American dream for the sake of raising a family built and moral, values and pride. I send my two sons to private schools because I truly believe that education is the key to success. That cost involves books, fees and sport related dues as well. I am not asking for a damn thing but a sense of respect and understanding that its driving good hard working people away fro the state and allowing the deadbeats of society to come in and take all that I have worked and applied myself to. I CAN NOT WAIT TO LEAVE THIS FRIGGIN STATE!!!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 AM

OK here we go...RI has a "Gangster Government" they count on it's citizens to tolerate all these types of shenanigans over and over again, and stay planted in this State.
The fact is Rhode Island has not been the same since Quonset Point closed in the early 70's. What that caused is the loss of 6,000 good paying jobs, plus all the subcontractors who were destroyed over this huge loss.
The "powers that be" in RI knew they needed to replace these jobs quickly... or suffer a huge exodus of population in the State.
"What can next", you may ask, City and State began hiring, and hiring, public sector Unions grew and strengthened, taxes went higher and higher and here we are 45 years later...broke! Unable to pay all these pensions.
Why was belleslettres ripped off...desperation on the parts of all Cities and towns to "ring out" every last drop of potential tax dollars from it's citizens.
To some of you... we all understand there is no perfect state or place in the Country, no not North Carolina, or Arizona, Texas, Florida, but...there are better places to live other than Rhode Island.
This is just one citizens opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island