Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 11,487 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that is moving to Newport in Oct. How is the crime? How is the jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:05 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
The stats on crime from 2006 show the city of Newport ranking slightly higher than the rest of the state average in crime- especially property crime. However, RI overall ranks overall fairly low- at about 35th- among all the US states in crime indexes. Some of the worst neighborhoods in Newport are likely the housing projects behind Broadway. Most other areas would be considered safe as far as I know. Thousands of tourists visit every year with little incident. Rents are high since it's a tourist town- very beautiful, on the ocean, and has very attractive historical architecture.

The job market in general depends on what field you're in. Travel/tourist/service industry jobs should be pretty plentiful- esp. in summer. It has a few large employers like Raytheon though I can't imagine moving there without a job unless you are highly employable- surviving on minimum wage would be extremely difficult.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,884 times
I was raised in newport, RI. If you have children or plan on having children, Do not move to Newport. The town has several low income projects where there is alot of crime and violence. The schools are very scare for new children. I remember when i signed my daughter up for the high school. The hallways were over crowded. I could tell she was scared. I moved a couple months later to wakefield, RI. Now that is where you want to raise your children. Ymca, skating rinks, bowling, Old Mountain field and lovely beaches. The schools are wonderful. If you are a single person than Newport is for you but if you have a family Dont do it!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:19 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Nothing personal, but you know someone is a native Rhode Islander when they say "stay away from Newport" because of the "crime". I couldn't think of anything funnier! Sorry, but it had to be said.

Besides, isn't every new child scared when they first attend a new school?

Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 PM

266 posts, read 866,800 times
I think there are scary places in rhode island then newport. I'd rather go or live in newport v.s Providence or pawtucket

Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 PM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
There are isolated spots in Newport to avoid, but not many at all. Newport has done a good job of "tucking" these places away. the VAST majority of Newport is safe and beautiful. Neighborhoods range from quintessential historic New England to massive gilded-era ocean side estates to modern suburban areas. Some of the housing projects (near Broadway) should be avoided, but these take up a tiny fraction of the area. Newport is fairly safe overall. As the others have mentioned, get a job first. If your friend moved to Newport without a job lined up and had to take a job elsewhere, the commute would likely be rough as areas with higher employment are all a good ways away.

Newport is beautiful. I wouldn't concern yourself (or your friend) with crime there. It's not bad enough or wide spread enough to be a big issue. I would recommend avoiding public schools as Newport's aren't stellar (Middletown and Portsmouth are good) but there are a number of private options.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,095 times
Newport has quite a police presence, I'll tell you that. One local officer told me that RI cops who are closer to the beginning of their careers in law enforcement want to work Newport/Middletown because "that's where the action is."

I agree that Newport public schools are probably better to avoid if you can.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:52 PM

266 posts, read 866,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Newport has quite a police presence, I'll tell you that. One local officer told me that RI cops who are closer to the beginning of their careers in law enforcement want to work Newport/Middletown because "that's where the action is."

I agree that Newport public schools are probably better to avoid if you can.
What kind of action? Again if i wanted action i would go to providence so i could try to experience murder cases and such lol. Ive heard many stories from someone who was a lieutenant in newport and yes there is crime. There is crime pretty much everywhere. But the stories werent as crazy as from some other places in r.i.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 PM

396 posts, read 1,398,054 times
Yeah but, in Npt basically you have to be looking for it, in other places it comes to you, a big difference.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
The job situation in Newport is bleak, unless you would be working for a defense contractor.

Crime. I lived in Newport for 22 years. Our little cul-de-sac, two blocks off Bellevue Ave (the mansion district)...........quite a number of break-in's, tire-slashings.. that kind of stuff over the years.

Newport schools are pathetic. Property taxes dreadful. .and rentals skyhigh.

Oh.. and the traffic in the summer...........it's quicker to walk.

Newport is a nice place to visit, but I'd never live there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island