Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 AM

3 posts, read 26,702 times

Advertisements

i am planning on moving to ri very soon ,from san diego,i am curious as to the cost of speeding tickets in ri,ct,ma...since everyone here drives 80 mph...

also am cosidering renting furnished house on or near water in ri. any suggestions,would be wife,baby and me....the we will consider purchasing .

thank you for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,858,666 times
Where will you be working? Or will you be working at home? Getting around RI is VERY different (I'd say a lot more difficult) than SD, Its not like you hop the 8 at Grossmont Center to get to OB.
I think I'd live in Tiverton or Block Island if I had my picks near the Water...

Last edited by leighland; 10-07-2008 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: who spells right anyway?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 AM

9,219 posts, read 14,770,809 times
With the exception of I95, you will be advised not to attempt to achieve 80 mph on our roads- it would be homicidal as well as suicidal. Nor would you need to, locate within 10 minutes of your job and you'll have a short commute- there is no need to drive long distances at high speeds. RI is nothing like CA in terms of freeways.
31-41.1-4

If you'll say where your job is- we can advise on where to look for a house near water.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,051,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioptsn View Post

everyone here drives 80 mph...
No one here drives 80 mph.
Unless they've decided to die. And take others with them.

Roads are very different here. And as the previous poster said, you can live near where you work. So you can live life in a relaxed way instead of a frantic way. It's a delightful change!

What a great adventure you're starting! I wish you joy in your new life

Old 10-07-2008, 07:07 PM

119 posts, read 863,848 times
In RI, the highway system was an after-thought unlike other areas where you could build massive super highways without much thought about surrounding 50-200 year old houses.

The speed limit on most I-95 is 55. In some parts near Pawtucket and Providence it might only be 50 mph due to the s-curves. I believe south of Coventry/Exeter to the CT state line it is 65.

On rte 295, the limit is 65, yet you have people driving 45 mph. I believe there are still signs stating the maximum and minimum speeds.

It takes me a half hour just to drive 12 miles from Smithfield to Chepachet because the speed limit is no higher than 45, with several areas as low as 25 mph on rte. 44.

I have nothing against the police and all the respect for uniformed officers. I follow the laws and am not looking for trouble. I not sure how much tickets cost in RI, but I wouldn't exceed the speed limit, not only because of the ticket, but insurance rates can double.

RI, does have the good-driving statute in which a ticket is dismissed if you have had a clean driving record while being licensed in RI for three years. Once you use that statute, you can't use it again for three more, ticket-free years.

In the city of Providence there are two ordinances prohibiting overnight parking in the street and parking less than 25 feet from a corner at anytime. Downtown, there are many cameras at intersections, monitoring the running of traffic lights. Make sure you stop on a yellow light to be safe.

I was born in Prov, and love the food and most of the people, but miss San Diego. Too bad CA is unaffordable to regular-working people.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 26,702 times
Default speedy from san diego

have had to speed or get run over by suv's.adapt or die...

i figure it will take me a few months to adapt to saner speeds...

i work from home,-options trader,so can live anywhere...

can not stand one season living-need rain and snow,my wife and i do not want to raise a family in the land of fruits,nuts and flakes...

so-cal a nice place to visit but not to live...

another beautiful day in paradox...

we miss real weather and people,warts and all...

thank you ,for your help...

Old 10-08-2008, 08:40 AM

9,219 posts, read 14,770,809 times
If you can work from home, you can easily find a nice house near water to rent for at least the winter season- try Newport, Little Compton, Portsmouth, Middletown, Narragansett, Wickford......

Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,227,121 times
Believe it or not, on a stretch of I-95 from North Providence to Pawtucket (by Lonsdale Ave), the speed limit is 45 mph (note: everyone still goes 55 there though).

No 80 mph here unless you're on open stretch of road to Boston on I-95. And even then, that is way too fast.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,038,034 times
Quote:
i am planning on moving to ri very soon ,from san diego,i am curious as to the cost of speeding tickets in ri,ct,ma...since everyone here drives 80 mph...

also am cosidering renting furnished house on or near water in ri. any suggestions,would be wife,baby and me....the we will consider purchasing .

very few drivers fly at 80. But! where the speed limit is either 45, 50 or 55 on the interstates don't be surprised to see traffic moving between 60-75. Few drivers attempt to drive the speed limit in these areas and those who do are actually a threat to the normal moving traffic. Most drivers do not drop their speed when the limit reduces from 65 to 55. They will continue 70-75. Route 4 from South County onto I-95 has a limit of 55. Try it especially during normal commute hours when most traffic is going 70. Same with Route 10 thru Johnston. 50 mph wtih most going between 60-70! Oh yes, another concern; slow drivers do not keep right here!

Off interstate speed limits, 35,45,50 are attempt at 10-15 mph over the limit. Try going Route 44 at the posted limits during commute(35 and 45 East of Chepachet, 50 west of Chepachet) and you will cause some major headaches.

Good luck
Mark

Old 10-12-2008, 06:13 PM

72 posts, read 254,693 times
Quote:

81 in a 55 (95 north between rt 37 and rt10) - $155
84 in a 45 (4 south around oak hill) - $320
86 in a 65 (95 south around rt 102) - $175

Thankfully, all these were written up at 5mph over the limit. And a few people still do 80 easily. I get passed all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island