Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 PM

132 posts, read 249,876 times

Advertisements

Catholic bishop Thomas J Tobin rigorously supports the illegal immigrants in our state, and has demanded an end to the ICE raids that have taken place and a moratorium on any deportations in RI. What bishop Tobin doesn't understand is that our society is governed by laws. Laws have to be enforced. When a legal citizen breaks our laws, he or she must bear the consequences. The consequences may include separation from family, as well as the consequences that fit the crime. Does anyone believe that bishop Tobin has stepped over his bounds, crossing the separation of church and state on this issue? Does anyone believe this is an example of why the church should be taxed? Isn't it funny that when it comes to illegal immigrants the Providence Arch-diocese is right there to help them, yet when it comes to law abbiding citizens who happen to not be heterosexual, the catholic church is right there to crucify them.

Perhaps, Bishop Tobin should spend some time "lobbying" our congress to put pressure on the Mexican government to address the concerns of their poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,947 times
Who invited Lou Dobbs onto the forum? haha

Old 10-23-2008, 03:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Here in Scranton our bishop sent a letter that was read aloud at masses demanding that Catholics in our diocese vote for "the pro-life candidate" and NOT vote for a candidate that supports abortion (i.e. do NOT vote for Obama if you're a good Catholic!) I'm really tiring of the Roman Catholic church being tax-exempt if they're going to permit their bishops to keep on telling people for whom they should be voting. It really irritates me. Whenever a liberal pastor goes on a rant there's mass outrage. Whenever a Catholic bishop goes on a right-wing rant nobody cares. Double-standards, anyone?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
I think the reason is that the Catholic church is now desperate to retain their dwindling constituency and this has actually brought Tobin out of the -gasp- sanctuary to become political. They never cared much about poor folks in all the centuries they've been around- not with millions and millions in valuable paintings and art objects holed up at the Vatican which could have been sold long ago to really provide for the poor. Top priority is keeping enough bodies so they can pass the basket.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,379 times
Very simply the church should be taxed. If there going to get involved in politics it is a violation of the separation of church and state

Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,397 times
The Catholic Church continues to hemorrhaging parishioners, their only hope is the illegal immigrant population which seeks them out for refuge. When is the Catholic church going to be held accountable for harboring these fugitives from the law?

Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think the reason is that the Catholic church is now desperate to retain their dwindling constituency and this has actually brought Tobin out of the -gasp- sanctuary to become political. They never cared much about poor folks in all the centuries they've been around- not with millions and millions in valuable paintings and art objects holed up at the Vatican which could have been sold long ago to really provide for the poor. Top priority is keeping enough bodies so they can pass the basket.
I submitted a ten-point plan for reforming the Catholic diocese in Rhode Island to the pope. The first point was sending Tobin into a rubber room for life with no chance for parole. No word yet from Rome, but I'm not discouraged -- the Italian postal service is notorious for its slow delivery.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Here in Scranton our bishop sent a letter that was read aloud at masses demanding that Catholics in our diocese vote for "the pro-life candidate" and NOT vote for a candidate that supports abortion (i.e. do NOT vote for Obama if you're a good Catholic!) I'm really tiring of the Roman Catholic church being tax-exempt if they're going to permit their bishops to keep on telling people for whom they should be voting. It really irritates me. Whenever a liberal pastor goes on a rant there's mass outrage. Whenever a Catholic bishop goes on a right-wing rant nobody cares. Double-standards, anyone?
What you are hearing is the death rattle of the extremists in the RCC. Even as they play death's doorstep footsie in the ICU with the Republican Party, everyone knows their time is coming to an end. Yes, I'm talking to you, Tobin.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:01 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Good buddy, look at the dates of the posts you are replying to.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Good buddy, look at the dates of the posts you are replying to.
Hated and ignorance needs no timestamp; it's immortal. And eternally immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island