Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:58 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times

Advertisements

The State has been cutting all sorts of services to the poor and disenfranchised, which means those who newly fall into the lower class find themselves without a safety net. Just pick up the projo. Almost every day you see a new program being cut to make a "sacrifice".

Of course, the conservative talking points (and our lovely DINO leadership in the GA) state that these cuts must be made in order to reduce the deficit. And then, of course, each year the Gov. comes out and says "Surprise, it wasn't enough! We need more!" This isn't going to help anything. We can't cut our way out of this. It's no coincidence that the Census numbers illustrate that, despite popular notion, the only people leaving the state in droves are those making less than $30K. We need to put our tax burden back on those who can afford it, instead of taxing the lives of those who cannot.

As far as infrastructure, this is a nationwide predicament. We're talking shovel-ready projects that put people to work right away. The benefits are two-fold. The economy gets moving again because people have more money to spend (here a middle class tax cut would also be helpful), and the state's infrastructure improves which is a long term gain for many obvious reasons. (Commerce, tourism, business etc.)

This doesn't mean we don't reward those who work hard, and start businesses that bring jobs. But instead of taking the current approach (offering blanket tax credits for jobs not actually created), we demand the results up front before we pitch in. That's getting down to brass tacks.

Obviously that's just a handful of things, and I'm no economist; but if you read the folks who have been predicting this crisis for quite some time (Krugman, Roubini etc.) that is what they are recommending. I am far more interested in what they have to say than what the people who got us into this mess, and said everything would be A-OK, are talking about at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM

75 posts, read 278,332 times
Default Losing good people

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaildeer View Post
alot of people i know have left the state to find jobs. most of the people i know from high school moved to the south or joined the military.

one friend left with his family to NC
one got a decent state job, but his wife is working as a private school teacher making low 20k
a lot of people i graduated college with have gotten nice jobs out of state. one guy moved to Virginia, one went to NC, and two i know went to CT.

It took me awhile to find a job after college so i worked in retail, and there was a lot of college grads working with me. i eventually found a decent job, but im still making less than my peers in other states, which now isnt too bad considering i have a job when many people dont.
I agree we are losing good people. I have a good friend with a Masters in a tech field and could not come close to the job offer he got out of state.

Here is another warning sign:
Multi and single family foreclosures on every street, but the rental market still has a huge supply of homes and apartments? Why? I think relocation and maybe some have moved in with family.

I have asked in this forum for someone to explain how this state can support 39 cities and towns all with indepedant infrastructure? We cant all work in the service sector with healthcare and pensions, someone need to actually produce something....NO?

I'm told we have a dense population, Ok. What does that have to do with our overspending, high taxation and horrible roads?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 PM

75 posts, read 278,332 times
Default Must share my view on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
The State has been cutting all sorts of services to the poor and disenfranchised, which means those who newly fall into the lower class find themselves without a safety net. Just pick up the projo. Almost every day you see a new program being cut to make a "sacrifice".
Where does the money come from to support these people and the programs to start with? When you tax the middle and upper class to death, they go under as well. They stop spending and paying taxes on second homes, fuel for boats and other extras, less tax money to go round.

It's no coincidence that the Census numbers illustrate that, despite popular notion, the only people leaving the state in droves are those making less than $30K. We need to put our tax burden back on those who can afford it, instead of taxing the lives of those who cannot.[/quote]

Exactly, they cannot afford the sales tax, property tax, fuel tax. All which trickle down to increased costs of all goods and services. My 43 yr old good friend just took a job out of state for over 135K per year. He interviewed in DC, MA and NY. RI couldnt touch that number.

As far as infrastructure, this is a nationwide predicament. We're talking shovel-ready projects that put people to work right away. The benefits are two-fold. The economy gets moving again because people have more money to spend (here a middle class tax cut would also be helpful), and the state's infrastructure improves which is a long term gain for many obvious reasons. (Commerce, tourism, business etc.)[/quote]

All I can think of is the big dig in Boston, Jamestown bridge and others like it. Cost overruns, poor quality and an endless supply of taxpayer funds down the toilet,funds again from the people that actually work in this country.

This doesn't mean we don't reward those who work hard, and start businesses that bring jobs. But instead of taking the current approach (offering blanket tax credits for jobs not actually created), we demand the results up front before we pitch in. That's getting down to brass tacks. [/quote]
You mean like the check I just sent in to the state for my LLC? Five hundred a year for the priveledge of having a company, not to mention payroll taxes, insurance. And lets not forget the alterative minimum tax [You calculate the tax using AMT rates, which start at 26% and move to 28% at higher income levels. By comparison, the regular tax rates start at 10% and then move through a series of steps to a high of 35%.] Thats my reward? I get to give away more money?

[/quote]

Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 AM

564 posts, read 1,879,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodeislander View Post
You mean like the check I just sent in to the state for my LLC? Five hundred a year for the priveledge of having a company, not to mention payroll taxes, insurance. And lets not forget the alterative minimum tax [You calculate the tax using AMT rates, which start at 26% and move to 28% at higher income levels. By comparison, the regular tax rates start at 10% and then move through a series of steps to a high of 35%.] Thats my reward? I get to give away more money?
You didn't think that was your money, did you?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodeislander View Post

I have asked in this forum for someone to explain how this state can support 39 cities and towns all with indepedant infrastructure? We cant all work in the service sector with healthcare and pensions, someone need to actually produce something....NO?

I'm told we have a dense population, Ok. What does that have to do with our overspending, high taxation and horrible roads?
I think we're all in agreement here. Supporting all these tiny municipalities is next to impossible. Therefore, I nominate you, Rhodeislander, to head up a grass roots movement to amend our state constitution. Let's go for it.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodeislander View Post
where does the money come from to support these people and the programs to start with? When you tax the middle and upper class to death, they go under as well. They stop spending and paying taxes on second homes, fuel for boats and other extras, less tax money to go round.

don't worry. Your valiant governor has proposed (drumroll....wait for it...) more service cuts! This time we'll get it right! No, we won't. I am willing to wager that until the feds bail us out (and maybe even not then), these cuts will be totally ineffective in closing the budget chasm, and make overall conditions in our state increasingly worse. As for taxing the middle class, i already said we need a middle class tax cut, you must have missed that. The rich? They continue to move here in droves according to census data. It hasn't helped the economy one bit, and they already are taxed less than the middle and lower classes. So i disagree with your entire premise, and with good cause i might add.

exactly, they cannot afford the sales tax, property tax, fuel tax. All which trickle down to increased costs of all goods and services. My 43 yr old good friend just took a job out of state for over 135k per year. He interviewed in dc, ma and ny. Ri couldnt touch that number.

the sales tax here is identical to that in many other states, including florida. (a place many rhode islanders go to, more for the weather than for economic reasons despite conservative talking points.) however, we do agree on the high property taxes. They are regressive, and unequally affect the middle class more. But they will continue to rise. Why? Because, again, your brave noble leader, governor don is making further cuts to cities and towns. How else are local govts to raise revenue? Just let everything completely fall apart? I expect to see you in some aftermath of the set for "apocalypse now", and as we look across the aftermath of the war zone that was once rhode island you fondly look at a portrait of carcieri and say "man did he almost balance the budget or what?" (ok, a little over the top but you take my meaning i hope.)

as for jobs, perhaps if we didn't entice companies to move here by handing out tax credits whether or not they actually produce jobs, it woud go a long way toward reversing our present situation. Pick up providence business news sometime. Despite the economy here, we are cutting edge in technology, healthcare, and other sectors. So why aren't the jobs there? Corporate giveaways. Good behavior should be rewarded, not hoped for.

all i can think of is the big dig in boston, jamestown bridge and others like it. Cost overruns, poor quality and an endless supply of taxpayer funds down the toilet,funds again from the people that actually work in this country.

these funds will be coming from the feds, not the state. They are an investment. If you can't see the returns involved in this investment, i can't help you there.

you mean like the check i just sent in to the state for my llc? Five hundred a year for the priveledge of having a company, not to mention payroll taxes, insurance. And lets not forget the alterative minimum tax [you calculate the tax using amt rates, which start at 26% and move to 28% at higher income levels. By comparison, the regular tax rates start at 10% and then move through a series of steps to a high of 35%.] thats my reward? I get to give away more money?

Believe me, if you run a small business i could go on all day about how you're getting screwed. But much of what i am proposing would alleviate your problems, not mitigate them. Expect to be getting some relief very shortly under obama.
[/quote]

Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 AM

P.S. I apologize for the poor format, I haven't entirely learned how to work all the knick knacks on the site I guess.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 AM

156 posts, read 438,898 times
Look at the stats. RI is a leader in the percentage of its budget that it spends on social services and at almost the bottom of the list of percentage of its spending on infrastructure (roads, bridges). Thanks to this we have some of the worse roads and bridges in the country and a whole social service industry that needs more and more taxes to survive.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,369 times
We need not only to invest in our current infrastructure, but we need to invest in a fixed guideway mass transit system to make downtown Providence more attractive to businesses wanting to locate in the greater Boston area (let's face it, we are part of the Boston metro no matter what the census says).

Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM

158 posts, read 610,423 times
I have heard from relatives still in RI that the powers that be are thinking of taxing vehicle milage on a yearly basis!!! Has anyone else heard this? I also heard that the Fast Pass they just started on the Newport Bridge is a total failure because the gate doesn't go up until you get right up to it... making it slower than the token lane! What the heck?

Do they want people to stay in RI? I know a lot of families who are moving out because of taxes... etc. These include professionals like electrical engineers, physicians (the malpractice insurance in RI is ridiculous). Some of them are going to continue physically living in RI for a while (worried they can't sell in this market) but going over to work in MA.

It is a shame because RI is such a beautiful state. The reason we don't live there is definitely economic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island