Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM

74 posts, read 261,473 times

Advertisements

We are also considering moving to Rhode Island. It is amazingly inexpensive for being so close to a major city (our perspective is a little different, but then we live in San Francisco). We like the beautiful older houses, and the fact that it is near the ocean. We also like the idea (like we have here) of being able to walk out the door and down the street to get a litre of milk of whatever. It also seems to have a lot of art galleries and cafes.

We cannot afford to buy anything here in San Francisco, and so we need to move somewhere where we can feel reasonably comfortable.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 01:49 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Well guys

you will love Providence- a very gay city- believe me. Housing prices about 425K lower then San Fran- gay baths, gay mayor more

done it all and its a great place for you

Also try eastern Connecticut-Putnam, Pomfret- lower home prices still, wineries, history and more.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-03-2007 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,607 times
JMO, but I wouldn't recommend Putnam. It's a run down older mill town with no gay population that I ever saw. The only thing it has going for it is a fairly large antique district.

Pomfret and Woodstock are very nice towns with beautiful homes, but that area is very rural. You're going to be a good 45 minutes from anything. Except Wal-Mart in Putnam. However, that part of CT is very scenic and great for a day trip.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 AM

urban boys- I love Providence- and have spent much time there- and if you are looking into an urban existence at a much lower price then San Francisco- it will more then meet your needs- with great gay life, clubs, baths, restaurants etc.

Eastern CT will be far cheaper- housing wise- and be a half hour or so into Providence- it depends on what YOUR needs are.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:12 PM

18 posts, read 90,072 times
Providence may be pretty to visit but live in????? I don't know...way too busy and compact. Terrible drivers and the people arent's as friendly as the West Coast.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:34 PM

We like compact and busy cities! We have plenty of bad drivers in San Francisco, and we are not afraid of that. Proximity to NYC and Boston are huge plusses, as my partner is an artist, and there is a much better market there for abstract paintings than there is here in San Francisco.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Well urbanboys

Providence then will fit the bill- its tight and urban- with lots of great bars, restaurants, historic districts, 2 gay baths, a downtown that is walkable, lots of shopping- and traffic that I never found to be too difficult.

Housing prices will be over 100% lower then the SF bay area- which means a house in San Francisco that sells for 700K will cost about 325K in Providence.

Good luck and enjoy Providence! Boston is less then hour away- and NYC is about 2.5 hours away. Newport is close.
Cape Cod and Provincetown is near- as is Nantucket and the Vineyard- plus eastern CT is 30 minutes away- do not forget about the gay mecca in Ogunquit Maine- and Vermont is 2-3 hours away.

Urban boys are smart coming here!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM

A house in San Francisco for $700k? My ex-roommate recently bought a 2 bedroom 1 bath flat for $700k in the Mission (Latino neighbourhood-ghetto). She has a lovely view of the freeway and the homeless park is only 1 block away. Did I mention that it is a fixer upper that she had to totally strip and rebuild? But it is cute inside now.

We will be there in 2 weeks to check it out!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 AM

Well guys

I guess I was 'too cheap' regarding SF house prices- those prices there are truly amazing-holy God!

The Rhode Island School of Design is in Providence-with art exhibits. Brown University is in the historic Federal Hill area.

You will love Providence- have a pleasant trip- I hope you decide on New England. Also visit Hartford Connecticut, rated the 21st best metro

area in the US and Canada for the arts.

any further questions do PM me

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-15-2007 at 10:43 AM..

Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 AM

We just got back from Providence and we liked it. Great food (really inexpensive), and the prices of housing are very reasonable (from our perspective). My partner says that it reminds him of San Francisco 18 years ago when he moved here from Manhattan (smaller and less Corporate than it is now).

Friends and coworkers here were in shock when we told them how inexpensive it is on the East Coast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island