Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM

160 posts, read 775,175 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been to one of these? I see there are only a few in the state, and initially I thought that were just like a Price Right ( I cant stand Price Right they are so dirty ) but I have heard a few raves from another board. I was thinking about checking it out tonight, but I will be disappointed if they are identical to a Price Right.

Anyone have any reviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We have Aldi's here in Ohio. They are a German company and their stuff is pretty good. You pay a quarter to get a cart and then get your quarter back when you return it. I think they only take cash or check (maybe debit card??) and you bring your own bags or pay for their's. As I remember, they have a lot of weird brands you never heard of, but there's nothing wrong with them as far as I've seen. I don't really go there much, because I'm sort of set in my ways, want more amenities, and have my favorite grocery store, but you should try it and see if you like it.

If you Google Aldi's you can read all about it.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,518 times
Aldi's is a narrowly tailored shopping experience, to say the least. They have a very specific business plan, and either you're going to buy into the concept or you arent.

The gist of it is this: Insanely cheap prices, extremely limited selection, 100% generic store brands, zero service (i.e. no bags, cash/debit only, 25 cent deposit for your shopping cart).

I like Aldi alright, because I'm cheap. But the limited selection sometimes makes it a waste of time since you'll probably have to go to a different store for the rest of your food. But if you just need tubs of plain yogurt, cans of beans, and generic cearal ... then damn is Aldi the place for you.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
I went into the one on Newport Ave in Pawt. & walked out without buying anything. Didn't see anything especially good or particularly cheap- also found the quarter for a shopping cart annoying. You'd be better off sticking with S & S and Shaws. If you want real cheap in RI, try Ocean State Job Lot or Big Lots. I buy all my spices, there, they have a good selection of jam and jellies. Also, I like Sam's Club. Even if you have a small family, it's good for non- perishables like paper products and canned goods. Don't know how you feel about Wallies.....

Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,986 times
Aldi is hit and miss. They've got a couple products which are actually quite good and some which are pretty abysmal. Good things to check out are most of their frozen foods and some of the packaged lunchmeats like the hard salami, for example. They also have this Fit and Active line which has a couple good items. Chocolate is very good, also. Try the cereals. Try their Cambridge Gourmet crackers. Try the jams. And make absolutely sure to check out their special products during holidays, they're quite excellent.

Other staples are allright, comparable to PriceRite. Some things, like their storebrand mayo...stay away. Produce...stay away.

The biggest complaint I have with Aldi is that some of the good things they offer are constantly sold out so you've got to grab what you can when you're lucky and it's in stock. And yes, you'll need a quarter for your cart and they won't let you use credit cards. Bags come in the plastic variety much like at PriceRite for 10 cents a piece or you can buy the 2 dollar nylon bag which is actually quite useful.

If you want to save money then Aldi is definitely the place to go but you'll probably have to combine your shopping there with another place to really get everything.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 13,569 times
i actually went and checked out the new Aldi store on Smith street just yesterday, as i too had heard pretty good things, but at least from my viewpoint, i wasn't really that impressed and didn't find even one item worth purchasing; as i walked the aisles, i picked up any product that had potential, but when checking the ingredients, a lot of preservatives, additives, sweeteners that just aren't necessary; like PriceRite, you get what you pay for; one can do OKAY at the other supermarkets in the area, checking on discounts/sales, shopping at more than one market and practicing a more simple approach to preparing meals; especially in the current economy

Old 02-15-2009, 02:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,184 times
Considering the Valueland on Smith St was vacant for more than 15 years I welcome Aldi's with open arms. I have been to the one on Newport Ave (actually, its in East Providence) and I like the broccolli flowerettes to steam.

Last edited by 1979; 02-15-2009 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 10,848 times
The Manager at the Smith St ALDI's, Amadeu, is AWESOME!!!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Let me begin by sayting I do not live in Rhode Island. I've shopped at Aldi stores for at least 40 years and have not found many products I do not like. In fact I prefer many to name brands. The stores I stop have a wide variety of products from junk food to olive oil, to fresh veggies and eggs, to cheese, meat and bread. A few of the stores carry wine. I find their clothes wash and wear well, and the skillets last lonter than T-fal. I bought two sets of solar lights that are still working. The return policy is generous and the stores are clean.

However, if you are looking for upscale shopoing, Aldi is not. I much prefer paying 50 cents for a can of diced tomatioes than $1.75 for a store brand at my local grocer.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM

55 posts, read 178,224 times
I don't live in Rhode Island but I live in PA and work across the street from an Aldi's. This summer they were in the paper because they have good prices and are great for people on a budget. They are always busy and have good hours!

The store in PA is always clean. Sure, it's $0.25 to get a cart, but you get it back and at least there is always a cart there when you need it (unlike the Wal-Mart I go to; carts are just all over the parking lot and hard to find).

Food has been good. A decent amount of selection. They carry everything from Salmon to Whole Chickens, to fresh vegetables and fruit to canned items to dairy products, etc. I go there often. The biggest downfall I think is that they don't have a fresh deli. Who cares each bag is $0.10. They are much more heavy duty than a bag you get at target or wal-mart. We reuse them for other things.

I think it's worth a try (and so does my bank account! I manage to spend about $200/month for two adults b/c I shop there! That's about $1.16/meal, 3 meals a day each).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island