U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:54 AM

6,295 posts, read 10,460,438 times

Advertisements

Could you help us by explaining what you are trying to achieve? Closeness to work, low price, low crime, possibility of appreciation, etc.

"Nice" is extremely subjective so very hard to advise w/o more particulars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 AM

10,228 posts, read 14,078,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
QuilterChick:

Thanks, we know Garden Hills and Greenwood and agree those are nice. I'm wondering more specifically about an area that's basically in between, just across Rt 5 from the malls and west of the river and I-95. Streets like Mayfield, Greenwich, Bateman and North, West, and East streets. To confuse things, the Cranston/Warwick line runs through there, though the listings we're interested in are all on the Warwick side, not the Cranston side.

Here's a Google Maps link to the middle of the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...1.4714659,17z/

Any thoughts from anyone?

Yes, that is the area I'm talking about. Off the south side (left) off Pontiac Av. as you head toward the malls. Mayfield, Bateman etc. Mayfield can be a 'cut thru' street, people take it rather than waiting at the traffic light at Pontiac. Pontiac Av. is a very busy road. If you have a good Realtor, he/she can guide you to the areas you are most interested in and give you details such as Cranston vs. Warwick etc. There are also some nice pocket areas off Oaklawn Ave. heading north toward Dean Estates, on the left side of Oaklawn Av. you might want to take a look at some of those neighborhoods. Can't recall or not whether you've looked at Garden City? Always good resale in there and well kept homes. Nothing in Oaklawn Terrace? I imagine you will want to consider the taxes and schools and whatever govt. issues are between Warwick and Cranston. I've owned a few properties in Cranston (none in Warwick) and sold several homes in the general area and all over the State. Something else you will want to consider are the flight paths in and out of TF Green in either city. A few nice neighborhoods off Rt. 5 near Gorton's Pond too, and off Rt. 118 here and there. Best of luck.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 04-13-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 02:02 PM

548 posts, read 588,398 times
Hollytree:

I don't think I asked if it was "nice", I know that's not helpful, but I'll try to be more specific.

What mostly prompted me to ask was that earlier on this thread -- old admittedly -- the "Pontiac" part of Warwick was cited by more than one person an area to avoid, but without elaboration. I'm wondering why and if people still agree. It seemed like the negative view was due to concerns about crime or maybe more generally neighbors who don't take care of property, are disruptive, whatever. I.e., not schools or traffic. Having driven through that little area, it was harder for us to get a read than in most neighborhoods, and unlike most other parts of Cranston and Warwick we've looked at, we don't have any friends who live in that section. So I am asking for any opinions on safety, quietness, generally not having trouble from neighbors or others passing thru the area. Likewise on appreciation potential, if for some reason that area is growing more or less desirable relative to other areas nearby.

Schools we don't care about, and issues like commutes, walkability (or lack thereof in this case), nearby shopping, airport noise, etc we have a good handle on from the general location.

More generally, a SFH ideally 1600-2000sq above ground, in decent shape (refinish floors, fine; replace entire plumbing, not fine), easy 95 access (one of us goes north, one south), and preferably in a fairly walkable neighborhood; small lot -- say 5000sq -- is fine, even preferred. Under 325K absolute max. Edgewood would be ideal but tough on that budget. Forest Hills we also like but almost the opposite problem, under 200 but small and/or poor condition (and really, only two or three houses there last 3 months). We've definitely been looking Oaklawn, Garden Hills, Garden City, etc.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,395 times
I grew up in the Pilgrim area of Warwick, and I had a boyfriend who lived/still lives in Pontiac. It's really not a bad neighborhood. Not much trouble with crime, at least not violent crime. There are more 2-3 family houses there than there are in most of Warwick, some owner-occupied, some not. I would agree there's some traffic issues on Pontiac Ave, but once you get off the main roads it's much quieter. It's very close to the malls and Bald Hill Rd, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the person. It's in the Toll Gate school system, so the schools are good. Unfortunately, when it floods, the Pontiac area is hit especially hard. It's practically a flood drain.

I would actually advise you to avoid Greenwood. My fiance grew up there, I have many other friends who did as well, it's been my dad's place of work for about 16 years, and I went to two churches in the neighborhood, so I know it well despite never living there myself. It's very close to the airport and LOUD. My fiance's house would literally shake every time an airplane flew over. I know you said you don't care about airport noise, but Greenwood is substantially worse than the rest of Warwick and it really impacts the quality of life there. Some people get used to it after a while, but even then, there is a constant threat of the airport expanding and tearing down your house. There's also a lot of bored kids who aren't close to anything to amuse them (like the mall) and make their own fun. My fiance had his car broken into by teenagers and there's a lot of drug use in the area (don't have any stats to back this up, it's just from my experience and that of my friends). The public schools are very good, though, the people are nice, and it's more of a typical suburban experience than Pontiac. On the other hand, it can get pretty boring due to lack of walkability.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 AM

548 posts, read 588,398 times
GetYeFlask:

Thanks, useful info!

On Greenwood and airport noise, the one house we thought about there was fairly far west, i.e., towards Rt 5 and relatively further off the runway centerline, so it wasn't too bad when a plane went by as we toured the place. But you're right, not nothing! On the other hand we went to an open house near the Pilgrim H.S., closer to the airport than the H.S., back before we had a better sense of Warwick geography. Now _that_ was house-shakingly loud. Wow. We had just arrived and nearly turned and left, but went through quickly to be nice to the poor agent.

The point about Greenwood and 'bored teens' is interesting, and not implausible from what I've seen in suburban parts of some other cities. My parents have more property crime issues in their brady bunch suburb on the west coast than I have had in much more urban neighborhoods. It did seem to us that the Greenwood selling point was schools, and that's not an issue for us, so we haven't been as interested though it keeps getting recommended.

The by-the-mall setting of Pontiac has its plusses and minuses. I mean, if I need a necktie or dining room set on short notice it's helpful, but for all the development there are surprisingly few places (besides DD) to grab a cup of coffee or a quiet, non-crowded and/or interesting meal. On the other hand, while not _close_ to interesting stuff, it seems sort of equally "not far" from everything, so it is convenient that way.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 7,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
GetYeFlask:

Thanks, useful info!

On Greenwood and airport noise, the one house we thought about there was fairly far west, i.e., towards Rt 5 and relatively further off the runway centerline, so it wasn't too bad when a plane went by as we toured the place. But you're right, not nothing! On the other hand we went to an open house near the Pilgrim H.S., closer to the airport than the H.S., back before we had a better sense of Warwick geography. Now _that_ was house-shakingly loud. Wow. We had just arrived and nearly turned and left, but went through quickly to be nice to the poor agent.

The point about Greenwood and 'bored teens' is interesting, and not implausible from what I've seen in suburban parts of some other cities. My parents have more property crime issues in their brady bunch suburb on the west coast than I have had in much more urban neighborhoods. It did seem to us that the Greenwood selling point was schools, and that's not an issue for us, so we haven't been as interested though it keeps getting recommended.

The by-the-mall setting of Pontiac has its plusses and minuses. I mean, if I need a necktie or dining room set on short notice it's helpful, but for all the development there are surprisingly few places (besides DD) to grab a cup of coffee or a quiet, non-crowded and/or interesting meal. On the other hand, while not _close_ to interesting stuff, it seems sort of equally "not far" from everything, so it is convenient that way.
I should have mentioned that it can change fast within neighborhoods! I lived very close to the high school so while we did get airport noise (to the point that I actually missed it for a while when I moved to Providence), it wasn't terrible. But our neighbors across the street had it much worse because there was a pond behind their house and the airplane sound reverberated off it. Greenwood also does get much better the closer you get to route 5 in terms of airplane noise.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 463 times
What about plans for airport runway expansion....will the Greenwood neighborhood be impacted? And perhaps others? Is it not unethical for sellers and realtors not to disclose knowledge of this impact?

Old 09-23-2016, 06:18 AM

RI realtors don't have to disclose what they don't know and "don't know" is a common response. It's incumbent on the buyer to check for neighborhood plans and zoning in the city and town offices. You absolutely cannot trust a realtor- you must be prepared to do due diligence.

On a similar topic, I've been complaining for ages that half the houses listed in the MLS that have flood insurance are not checked off by listing agents, leaving potential buyers to check on it themselves.

Here is what is disclosed in disclosure forms:
5-20.8-2

Last edited by Hollytree; 09-23-2016 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 AM

10,228 posts, read 14,078,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
RI realtors don't have to disclose what they don't know and "don't know" is a common response. It's incumbent on the buyer to check for neighborhood plans and zoning in the city and town offices. You absolutely cannot trust a realtor- you must be prepared to do due diligence.

On a similar topic, I've been complaining for ages that half the houses listed in the MLS that have flood insurance are not checked off by listing agents, leaving potential buyers to check on it themselves.

Here is what is disclosed in disclosure forms:
5-20.8-2

That statement in red above could not be further from the truth; I can't even believe you said that. There are bad apples in every profession, they are few and far between, however. Why on earth would a Realtor lie or sugar coat the truth, his/her livelihood depends on being honest and fair with clients, and especially wants and appreciates repeat business and referrals.

Due diligence by buyers and full disclosure by an agent is mandatory in all 50 states. As for flood insurance, that is a simple question that a seller's agent will answer, or a buyer's agent will research. Every appraisal by a bank discloses whether or not the property has a FEMA certificate. You couldn't be more wrong on all counts.

Good Realtors do more than put a key in the door and let in a potential buyer ... I hope someone from the RI Assoc. of Realtors reads your biased statement. You are doing a terrible disservice to all the hard working professionals out there working long hours, going beyond their duty to help buyers and sellers. They do not deserve the above smear.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:59 AM

Of course you don't believe it, you're a realtor. Of course there are some realtors who are better than others- most are pretty awful in my experience.

You mean you haven't checked on RILiving to find all the houses that are in high risk flood zones and are not checked off by the listing agents as flood insurance required? Try it, it might be an eye opener for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island