U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,299,068 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm sure that the population here in RI is rising. We're probably losing a few percent of our citizens every year, while gaining twice that amount in illegals. Oh, sorry, I guess the new term is "undocumented". Oooops. I don't want to start an arguement here, but let's be truthful. Rhode Island is a wonderful place to live, but the business and political environment here is abysmal. I was born here and have lived here all my 39 years, and so has my wife, but we CAN'T WAIT for the housing market to show the slightest little sign of an uptick so we can sell and move out of here. Rhode Island is going broke, and the politicians refuse to admit it, and refuse to do anything to fix it. They just keep spending and spending, and raising taxes to pay for it. The RI legislature has already chased almost all of our industrial and manufacturing base out, and they just keep looking for ways to raise revenue while refusing to cut back. There is no way around it - this state is going to implode.

I am the last of my family still here. My parents moved to Florida, my sister went to law school in Florida as well and never returned, and my brother moved to Colorado 2 years ago. My wife has family in Georgia, and that's where we are considering moving, as we've visited many times and love it there. I know, Georgia has it's issues, too - every place does. But as much as we love the state itself, RI has a dark, dismal future ahead, and I want my kids to grow up in a place they can actually afford to live and hope to get jobs.

Last one out of RI, turn off the lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 5,484,593 times
You know, since RI is a small state, I think it is easy to make blanket statements condemning the entire state- something people would not likely do in bigger states. There is a huge difference in quality of life between Jamestown and Little Compton and Barrington and Wickford ( to name just a few places) and where you live- which is apparently Warwick - somewhere near the airport?? I'm also kind of surprised you don't find Warwick affordable- the median house price there is now $160,000. Also, RI salaries are generally good and so are benefits.

Native Rhode Islanders, and this is just my opinion (I'm not a native of this state) often do not appreciate their home state as much as out of towners do. And, if you have never lived in the deep south, be prepared for a shock- I'm not sure you fully realize what the reality will be. I hope you like the bible belt, 100 degree heat, right to work laws, and loads of intolerance against most every outsider- especially the dreaded "Yankee" which you will be in spades.

However, I do sincerely wish you the very best of luck. Hopefully, the tide will turn to the point where you can sell your house and move.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,299,068 times
You bring up several very good points, Hollytree (any relation to the camp ground down in Bradford? I spent many summers at my grandparents camp site there) We are VERY aware of the situation in both Georgia and Florida. As I said above, my parents and sister moved from RI approx 5 years ago, and they honestly don't miss RI a bit. I have visited both on several occasions, and find Florida states to be green, clean, pleasant and affordable. The same goes for my wifes brother and his family, as they moved from East Greenwich to Georgia just over 10 years ago, and they love it there. The one thing that really strikes me is how all of them say, when they come up here to visit, is how dirty it is here (meaning litter everywhere) and how stressful and hectic is seems. Now I do agree, there are nice some very nice areas of RI, such as the places you name above, but there are no $160,000 homes in any of those places. My home here in Warwick (Gaspee area) is value by the city at $182,000. Even with the downturn, we think it's worth a little bit more than that, maybe $210K or $220K. Do you have any idea how much home you can get in some of the very nice Atlanta suburb areas, such as Woodstock or Alpharetta? Twice as much home and half the property tax that Warwick extorts out of us - that is NOT an exageration. Check out some homes in that price range on , I think you'll be suprised at the difference. I've done my homework on this one, over several years, and am fully aware of what I'm getting into.

Once we move, I know there are many aspects of RI I will dearly miss, such as hopping in the car and driving to the bay in 5 minutes, Iggys Clamcakes, Block Island, etc, etc. Rhode Island does have many, many fine qualities, I just think that some of the darker parts of RI will never change, and that until it does, this state will always be a difficult places to make a living and raise a family.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-26-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: real estate agent's site, please use a generic site

Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 PM

143 posts, read 218,396 times
Rhode Island, along with the rest of the Northeast share the same problem. They have their strong points, but they simply cannot provide the same value that states in the south and west can. Americans today are mobile and states are competing for their business.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:03 PM

294 posts, read 465,500 times
Native Rhode Islanders, and this is just my opinion (I'm not a native of this state) often do not appreciate their home state as much as out of towners do. And, if you have never lived in the deep south, be prepared for a shock- I'm not sure you fully realize what the reality will be. I hope you like the bible belt, 100 degree heat, right to work laws, and loads of intolerance against most every outsider- especially the dreaded "Yankee" which you will be in spades.

However, I do sincerely wish you the very best of luck. Hopefully, the tide will turn to the point where you can sell your house and move.[/quote]

Hollytree, I disagree with you on this one. I was born and raised in New England and have lived in the South the past eight years and there has been very little culture shock. The people have been very tolerant, friendly and accepting to us. I was prepared for the worst and came with my guards up but the people have been more friendly and accepting to us into their cities and neighborhoods than anything I experienced in NE. Anywhere one moved to they must come respecting the new culture and they usually won't have much trouble adjusting. 100 degree heat is not the norm in most parts of the South but mild winter weather is.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:49 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,038,407 times
Well, being a native of the South who moved North, I completely agree with Hollytree; except I'd go even further. I will say I find Rhode Islanders more friendly than Floridians.

There, funny how people's opinions can differ.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM

3,397 posts, read 4,086,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButler7000 View Post
Rhode Island, along with the rest of the Northeast share the same problem. They have their strong points, but they simply cannot provide the same value that states in the south and west can. Americans today are mobile and states are competing for their business.
That depends on what you mean by value. If you mean simply money, then sure, cost of living is cheaper. But, for example, would I ever want my kids to be educated in Georgia public schools? Hell no - I am so thankful for being educated in RI schools, no matter how "terrible" they are. The level of education attained by children here in Georgia is atrocious IMO.

Furthermore, the fact that commute times in metro Atlanta are quite large compared to other states, and the road is truly the only choice for 4.5 million of the 5 million people in the metro area, yet another aspect of quality of life is severely hurt.

I just think people have to look at everything from multiple perspectives and not just the "value" of homes and groceries and gas.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:12 PM

4,234 posts, read 6,201,088 times
The last few posts have been interesting, but far from the original thread topic. If someone wants to start another thread about people moving away, feel free. However, let's keep this thread about the proposed name change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island