Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,242,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedspaddy View Post
Oh I nearly forgot, If I worked in MA would I have to pay reprocity on my income taxes, ie pay MA as well RI income taxes?
You have to fill out state income tax forms for both states, but you will get a refund from MA for the taxes paid into that state. Then for RI you will have to pay-in those taxes (and perhaps more, depending on the tax rates). Just a little more work for you or your accountant, but I did it and it was fine. (Heck, the year I did it, I lived in RI for half the year while working in MA, and then moved for CO for the other half of the year. Talk about a mess with taxes!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,425,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedspaddy View Post
My wife and I are coming down from crappy Vermont to Rhode Island next week to take a look at the state for the first time. Currently we are approximately 4 to 5 hours away from the beach and so anywhere in RI or western CT would do us fine as they are obviously a lot closer than we are now. I am hoping someone can give me some recommendations for places to visit apart from Providence. What we are looking for is a small town feel that is a stone's throw away from a big city such as Providence or Boston............unfortunately we live in a nice small town here in VT which is a planet away from anything. We are NOT looking to be in a town on the coast as we realise that would be just too expensive to buy or rent. I was thinking of looking at the northern part of the state around Woonsocket so I can still keep my options open with regards to finding work in Boston. We have 2 six year old children so of course school systems will also play a huge part in any decision we make.
I don't know if anyone could provide me any figures just to give me an idea of real estate taxes but currently I pay $17.50 per $1000 of home value here in vermont. We looked at NH and a lot of places had taxes at $24 per $1000!!!! I realize that this is all relative but any figures would at least give me some idea of what to expect to pay...........Oh I nearly forgot, If I worked in MA would I have to pay reprocity on my income taxes, ie pay MA as well RI income taxes?

thanks
If you want good schools for your kids you DEFINITELY want to move to western Connecticut. Even kids at Groton Public schools are light years ahead of even the BEST schools in Rhode Island. Check out this site GreatSchools.net and see for yourself. Another reason that Connecticut is better is that if you ever have to pay for your own health insurance, the availablity of plans and costs are FAR better than they are in Rhode Island. In Connecticut, you could actually call an insurance agent and would have choices of many different carriers and plans to choose from. In Rhode Island, the government has mucked up the health insurance market SO BADLY, only one carrier, Rhode Island Blue Cross, offers individual plans. There aree only 4 to choose from and you have to get them directly from Blue Cross. They won't pay an insurance agent a penny to help you. If you were buying the equivalent plan in CT, it would cost you one third to 1/2 as much and you'd have hundreds of choices versus only four here in Rhode Island.

You said you didn't mind not being by the water but and depending on how big a city you meant, if you did want to be by the water, Mystic, Ct is nice and it is right next to Westerly Rhode Island where Amtrak has a station.

Both Westerly and Mystic are very pretty and are good sized towns. You'd probably be equidistant from Hartford and Providence with both of them being about 45 -60 mins away (maybe not that far to Hartford, I'd have to check a map to be sure). If you wanted to be closer to Providence and Boston then I'd look at Putnam and other towns in the northern part of Ct. Putnam is a very pretty country town with pretty farms and rolling hills. Danielson, also a good sized town is just South of Putnam and also nice. Between the two towns, coming from VT, I think you'd feel right at home there. It's right near 395 so would be convenient for commuting to Boston. Just pop on 395 for a few mins going north and then take 90 east into Boston all the way.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 AM

One thing that Rhode Island has, or I should say eastern Massachusetts (Seekonk,Ma to be exact) is a WONDERFUL Naturopathic Doctor who was a former Medical Doctor in Holland. He and his associates have literally been curing so called "incurable" diseases for 25 years. There are now 4 naturopaths working out of the office. If I were anyone with a blood disease, I would go there in an INSTANT. In fact, my neice was born with a rare blood disease where her blood wouldn't coagulate. I forget the name of it. Anyway, my sister lives in San Antonio, Tx and when my niece was just a few months old and still breast feeding, my sister was frightened to death because of the invasive blood tests and horrible drug treatments that were in store for my niece if she went the route of conventional medicine. Instead, I urged my sister to set up a phone appointment at the Tree of Life Center in Seekonk, and it was recommended that my sister simply chop up homeopathic blood tablets and dab the powder on my neices tongue and three weeks later, just as my sister was assuming the homeopathics weren't going to do anything and she brought my niece in for more tests and the first horrible treatment but SURPRISE SURPRISE! The test came back that her blood was COMPLETELY NORMAL! The doctors were stunned and kind of mad that they were losing a lucrative patient, according to my sister. But my niece is 100% healthy for a total cost of less than $100 between the homeopathics and the
phone consultation.

So there is hope for your wife as long as she begins to realize that conventional western allopathic medical doctors are only trained to treat SYMPTOMS of disease. Naturopathic Doctors on the other hand, are trained to look for underlying causes and treat and eliminate the causes which eliminates the disease! Full disclosure though: for adults it may take months of being extremely vigilant while abstaining from certain foods that exacerbate her condition.

Naturopathic medicine was mainstream medicine in the eaarly 1900's and late 1800's back in the days when there was no such thing as heart disease and hardly any incidence of cancer.
Back in those days, doctors were trained to make you well and not simply give you an expensive prescription to mask a symptom of your disease and tell you to come back every six monthsfor the rest of your life to monitor the results of the drugs meanwhile gouging your insurance.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:31 PM

450 posts, read 555,298 times
leeds just read your post mate

'understand where you're coming from, we lived in massachusetts and it's the same there.

luckily we escaped the loons who run that state and got out before the new Gov got in. Only the other night an illegal with no licence ran a boy over and all he was charged with was two misdameaners, no deportation nothing

heard VT is really soft on child molestors too, apparently two men abused a little girl for 4 years and they initially got a few days in jail another instance and the bloke got nothing but probation

do you know where salford is mucker?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
One thing that Rhode Island has, or I should say eastern Massachusetts (Seekonk,Ma to be exact) is a WONDERFUL Naturopathic Doctor who was a former Medical Doctor in Holland. He and his associates have literally been curing so called "incurable" diseases for 25 years. There are now 4 naturopaths working out of the office. If I were anyone with a blood disease, I would go there in an INSTANT. In fact, my neice was born with a rare blood disease where her blood wouldn't coagulate. I forget the name of it. Anyway, my sister lives in San Antonio, Tx and when my niece was just a few months old and still breast feeding, my sister was frightened to death because of the invasive blood tests and horrible drug treatments that were in store for my niece if she went the route of conventional medicine. Instead, I urged my sister to set up a phone appointment at the Tree of Life Center in Seekonk, and it was recommended that my sister simply chop up homeopathic blood tablets and dab the powder on my neices tongue and three weeks later, just as my sister was assuming the homeopathics weren't going to do anything and she brought my niece in for more tests and the first horrible treatment but SURPRISE SURPRISE! The test came back that her blood was COMPLETELY NORMAL! The doctors were stunned and kind of mad that they were losing a lucrative patient, according to my sister. But my niece is 100% healthy for a total cost of less than $100 between the homeopathics and the
phone consultation.

So there is hope for your wife as long as she begins to realize that conventional western allopathic medical doctors are only trained to treat SYMPTOMS of disease. Naturopathic Doctors on the other hand, are trained to look for underlying causes and treat and eliminate the causes which eliminates the disease! Full disclosure though: for adults it may take months of being extremely vigilant while abstaining from certain foods that exacerbate her condition.

Naturopathic medicine was mainstream medicine in the eaarly 1900's and late 1800's back in the days when there was no such thing as heart disease and hardly any incidence of cancer.
Back in those days, doctors were trained to make you well and not simply give you an expensive prescription to mask a symptom of your disease and tell you to come back every six monthsfor the rest of your life to monitor the results of the drugs meanwhile gouging your insurance.
Ooops! I just realized I forgot to give the you website so you can contact the Tree of Life Center if you want. Its HolisticHealthline.com - Your Direct Line To Great Health!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island