Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times

Advertisements

Okay so recently I was driving between Davisville and East Greenwich on Rt. 1 aka Post Road.

It was not the first time I've done so, by the way. But something caught my eye after I noticed that the Tim Horton's restaurant on Rt. 1 was out of business. This is the one just south of the area's only McDonald's, which closed down back in January or so. Of course that whole strip on Post Road kinda looks like a museum/cemetery for boarded-up retailers or something.

Anyway, as usual, Rt. 1 in this area was looking like a nuclear war against asphalt just occurred or maybe an AC-130 gunship had just fired off a sample of all available varieties of ordinance directly at the aging Post Road roadway.

I found myself wondering? How is this possible? What strange combination of government and citizenry could allow for a main road (in fact THE original main road through The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations) to just sit there day after countless day in an impossibly deplorable condition.

Okay, guys, I "get it" that Rhode Islanders are more down to earth than most (truly an admirable disposition). Yeah road work costs a lot of money (I don't really know, does it? Somebody go ask Rogoff or Kunstler.), and money doesn't grow on trees and we're proud Rhode Islanders but we're a little shabby and so is our state and stuff...

Come on, how about the wealthy Rhode Islanders? Aren't they tired of all the dents, dings, alignments, undercarriage work, ball joint replacements, tire and wheel replacements, yada yada?

You'd think they'd get upset and just group together and donate money to the state or those towns to get the roads re-graded and paved AT LEAST ONCE EVERY TWO HUNDRED YEARS ??

Or maybe the wealthy just let the auto insurance companies pick up the tab for them? Or do they just "bill it to TARP"?

The McDonald's that closed is another interesting story. I don't know myself what happened in terms of the business end of it. I drove by lookin' to grab a dollar double-cheese (no cheese) to fill me up for the next 6 or so hours and I noticed from about a thousand yards out...

...THAT THE GOLDEN ARCHES WERE GONE!

(AAAAAAAAAAIIGHHHHUGH! Gasp!!!! )

I suddenly reeled as though someone had just shot a whole in my heart and through my stomach too, dammit!

One great thing about America: McDonald's !! Best marketing in the history of commerce! When your drivin' eyes spy those Golden Arches, boy, you get excited and your lips are quivering and salivating like Rover approaching his Doggie-Dish for some spare-rib scraps that you put in it! Those Golden Arches mean in the next ten minutes you are gonna spend $2, eat a hot tasty meal, maybe go to the bathroom, and also have a wonderful interaction with Quasimodo's grandmother and a few of her close relatives!!

So anyway I slowed down as the site of the former McDonald's approached and things quickly got interesting. The whole damn thing (I mean the WHOLE damn thing) had been freshly painted white as a sheet of 8x11 copy paper and EVERY LAST TRACE of those fabulous red and yellow hues had been ENTIRELY removed. I tried to turn in but there were grey concrete and rebar slab barricades blocking the main entrance. Quickly I flipped a Byotch and cruised back real slow to investigate the fascinating scene of the apparent death of a McDonald's Restaurant.

A very small sign read "Attention: Change of ownership" or something like that. Kiddy PlayLand had been dismantled and hauled off, and there was nary a trace of a fervidly muttering Hamburgler or anyone else for that matter to be found. I thought, "My God, they killed McDonald's and turned it into a giant flat-white ghost!"

I thought back to my childhood, and just how very badly I had wanted a jade-green Shamrock Shake on my birthday! A little green could really liven things up around here, I mused.

I looked in vain for even so much as a fire-engine red crumpled and discarded Cherry Pie wrapper-holder-thingy or a few bedraggled, forlorn, and possibly beef-tallow dipped french fries, but there were none to be had.

Eventually I moved on, deeply contemplating a trip to BK. Or worse yet, Wendy's (Shudder. "The Horror...The Horror!").

BTW, I can sure guess why this particular McDonald's went out of business: poor service and poor management! That was the only McDonald's for many miles around. None to the east or west, and you'd have to drive as far south as Wakefield or up north to East Greenwich to find the next functioning MickeyD's. Don't tell me that location can't support a McDonalds! Everyone around there just got sick of twenty years of terrible service and downright excrutiatingly lousy management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:14 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I enjoy your writing style! You remind me of Ignatius Reilly in Confederacy of Dunces (and I mean that as a compliment).

As to MickeyD's- have you not heard of healthy eating trends....

So lay off dem double cheezburgers Pod or we'll be picking your limp body up off the pot holed roadway.....

Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM

143 posts, read 327,479 times
Looks like the recession is finally starting to hit the Dollar Menunaires...

Old 04-18-2009, 01:30 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
Holly, thanks for the literary allusion. I wiki'd the Confederacy and Toole and put 'em on my list.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 AM

190 posts, read 650,134 times
since leaving RI, i make trips back to visit family and friends every few months. i seem to notice every time i return, RI is looking more and more ghetto. it is crazy. graffiti on churches, boarded up buildings, homes that were destroyed by fires still stand for years. im not sure what is going on in RI. its like the new Detroit. and the sad part is, i don't see it ever improving. they spent so much money on that IWAY project, they could have used that money to clean up the state. RI people are some of the sharpest people in the country IMO, how could they let this happen?

my grandparents bought a house in Prov. in 1982. the area was beautiful. now it looks ghetto. everyone moved out and it is predominantly Asian and Latino. the street is rough looking. there is a boarded up house across the street. i understand there is no money in the RI economy right now, but there was money just a few years ago, and this was still going on. something has got to give.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
Dude, you're from Tampa and you're calling Rhode Island ghetto??? The ghettos in Tampa would put the worst here to shame! Rhode Island is downright quaint compared to Tampa.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Dude, you're from Tampa and you're calling Rhode Island ghetto??? The ghettos in Tampa would put the worst here to shame! Rhode Island is downright quaint compared to Tampa.
i live in tampa, not from tampa, but i spent the first 27 years of my life in providence, i only been here 2 years. yea there are some ghetto spots in tampa, but 80% of providence is ghetto. trust me i lived there my whole life.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
yea there are some ghetto spots in tampa, but 80% of providence is ghetto. trust me i lived there my whole life.
Are you sure it's not 74.3% ghetto?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Are you sure it's not 74.3% ghetto?
lol, it is possible.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
You couldn't be more wrong. Rhode Island 9th safest state in the country. FL is the 6th most dangerous. (Also, Cranston was 25th safest US city over 70,000 for 2008.)

As for Providence vs. Tampa, it's pretty close:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Providence has Tampa beat slightly for murder and auto theft (not by much), but everything else from rape to assault to burglary; and Tampa is the clear winner!

Congratulations!

Last edited by Yac; 06-09-2009 at 07:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island