Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM

308 posts, read 517,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
his approval for the city of providence is all that matters.
Which is very true and kind of confuses me to as why Brown would do a state-wide poll, but not a city-wide one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,897,165 times
I guess since RI is basically a city-state with the mayor of Providence therefore assuming more importance than he would otherwise.

But then again, Brown is likely to do most anything after sacrificing Columbus Day on the altar of political correctness!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I personally like Mayor Cicilline, but his recent proposal of a tax on college students in the city is ridiculous and could cost him big points. Those college students provide a lot of business for pubs and stores, especially on the East Side. I think it's a mistake to make college education even more expensive in RI than it is, even if it is for private universities.
I don't think this would cost Cicilline votes whatsoever. College students don't necessary vote, it's city residents who do...many of which are property owners. It is ridiculous for colleges like Brown to have these multi-billion dollar endowments and remain tax free when the rest of the city is struggling. These colleges benefit from the police and fire departments as well. Look at the way many of these colleges have spread out their campuses over the years; Johnson & Wales bought up much of downtown, the old Outlet building. The entire corner of Weybosset and Dorrance is owned by J&W, for awhile it seemed like anything that wasn't bolted down was being bought up by J&W, Roger Williams Univ or Brown Univ and thus becoming tax free.

People in this state are really not understanding how severe the defecit really is. Cicciline tried once before to have the colleges pay a fair share in taxes and the academics used all their wisdom to wiggle their way out of it and succeeded. Now, he has this new proposal which would be state wide. Think about colleges like Bryant University which has increased its tuition by about 35% within the last 10 years, and they get away with it because they continue to increase recruitment of foreign students which btw artificially inflate the tuition cost for American students.

Now, Rhode Island colleges and universities are threatening to buy up land that will become available once the route 195 overpass has been torn down. Imagine, all this viable land which should be sold to taxable business, could end up in the hands of the colleges. Brown owns so much of the east side, taking over more and more residences and businesses every year. Also, it should be noted that the vast majority of those who graduate, end up leaving the state anyway.

Students don't necessarily contribute very much to a local economy. Most do not have the funds, and often times contribute to crimes such as disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace with all their parties, loud music and so forth. These students don't think anything of all the litter they throw out their car windows either. I lived near R.I. College and Providence College, and truthfully the area was a zoo.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:15 PM

564 posts, read 1,879,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I guess since RI is basically a city-state with the mayor of Providence therefore assuming more importance than he would otherwise.

Sorry, us folks in the woods are a lot more close minded than that.

We don't give two shakes what those people way up Providence think about their mayor or what the city of providence does. Might as well be Boston.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island