Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 01:05 PM

368 posts, read 1,388,168 times

Advertisements

We have a small group of girls who are thinking about an Sat/Sun trip to Newport. We want to do the tourist thing during the day, party that night, and leave Sunday mid-morning.

What hotel should we consider? Something within walking distance to the night life...

Speaking of - where should we go for drinks, starting mid to late afternoon. bar hopping is fine if we can walk it. We are *single* girls, so looking for something where singles go - not the fancy sit down type of places. I'm partial to patios and background music, not music you can't talk over.

Someone told me the oldest tavern in America is in Newport... any clues?

Day tours - nothing overpriced. Maybe some mansions or something else "newporty". Any thing you'd recommend seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 AM

160 posts, read 775,023 times
What do you mean by *single*... are you single and looking for a guy to take back to your hotel or are you just single without the *. There are a few hotels on Thames street, which are right in the middle of everything so you could start there. I'd be calling them now though, because they book up quickly for the entire summer.

For day trips you could go the mansions, but you'd have to drive there, or walk cliff walk, go to the beach.

Bars- the Red Parrot, Blue Rhino, H20.... a few different places all on Thames.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM

HAHA. no, I meant the asteriks, but not in the sense of getting laid.

I meant it in the sense of looking for lodgings/entertainment that would apply to mid-30's women without spouses or children. As in: not really looking for family oriented activites. No bed n' bfast type hotels needed, etc.

Thanks for the info. Is Thames St. near the water?

Just an edit to add: I do have kids, but they are in Texas for the summer - before anyone pulls up my older posts to point out that I've said I had kids in the past... LOL.

Last edited by AandD; 07-14-2009 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Edited for clarification.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
HAHA. no, I meant the asteriks, but not in the sense of getting laid.

I meant it in the sense of looking for lodgings/entertainment that would apply to mid-30's women without spouses or children. As in: not really looking for family oriented activites. No bed n' bfast type hotels needed, etc.

Thanks for the info. Is Thames St. near the water?

Just an edit to add: I do have kids, but they are in Texas for the summer - before anyone pulls up my older posts to point out that I've said I had kids in the past... LOL.
Ok just checking, because if that is what you were looking for, I know of some places that are filled with guys and normally would avoid unless you were looking for that. I'd stay from the bars that are on the same strip as Gap, which I cant remember the name.

Thames St is on the water, but not on the beach or anything. But there are views of the water, and restaurants on the water. Any of the hotels on Thames St would be good, some family members stayed there this weekend and I can not remember the name of it. But it was right next to Christie's. I'd look for a place to stay around there, its a nice area.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 PM

After mentioning your reply to one or two of the girls who are going, imagine my surprise when they wanted to know where you were talking about. You think you know someone....

If they wanted to venture out after the more staid (and apparently up-tight) of us are done, where would they go? Will they need a car or taxi (assuming they aren't... ummmm... successful)?

Geez. There's nothing like hearing a co-worker tell you - "yes! I was hoping to pick up someone!"

Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,894,337 times
The Viking Hotel provides a close in & reliable hotel experience.

I think the historical tavern you're looking for is the White Horse...

White Horse Tavern - Newport, RI

Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
After mentioning your reply to one or two of the girls who are going, imagine my surprise when they wanted to know where you were talking about. You think you know someone....

If they wanted to venture out after the more staid (and apparently up-tight) of us are done, where would they go? Will they need a car or taxi (assuming they aren't... ummmm... successful)?

Geez. There's nothing like hearing a co-worker tell you - "yes! I was hoping to pick up someone!"

Haha, I'll have to ask my husband the name of the place. I honestly can't remember, but we have been there a few times. It just seemed like a place full of guys looking to hook up. I'll ask him and then post tomorrow. It's right off of Thames as well, so you're best bet is to get a hotel near there.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:09 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
I second the recommendation for Hotel Viking. The Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina is nice and (relatively for Newport) affordable. The Harbor hotel is right next to everything, Viking is a bit more of a walk (not far, and quite nice). You'll find Newport quite compact and easy to walk everywhere you want to go. You should NEVER need a cab or car if you pick the right hotel (the pedi cabs are fun though).

Thames St. is the primary nightlife/shopping/dining street. Bannister/Bowen's wharf also has a good collection of bars and restaurants too (this is right off of Thames/Americas Cup Ave).

Thames is really divided into two sections. Lower Thames which is South of Memorial Boulevard and Upper Thames St/Downtown. Upper Thames/Downtown is where the bulk of the action is. However, Lower Thames has some more laid back (and affordable) restaurants and bars too. I REALLY like O'Brien's outdoor patio. It's an affordable bar (it may be nostalgia, my friend's house with a stunning roof deck/ hot tub is right next door and we used to meet people at O'Brien's and invite them up) and a laid back atmosphere. The West Deck (just off Thames on Waites Wharf) is on the water and fun too. You can get food here early on (not bad) and drinks until last call (1am in Newport, by the way so a little early).

Back closer to downtown, Buskers Irish Pub is a good place to get a first round (this is on Thames) as there's no cover. Newport Blues Cafe is nice too but pricey... Only go in here if you're planning to stay a while. The Landing (Bannister's Wharf) is a GREAT place to eat AND drink (try an Oyster Shooter-- Grey Goose, Oyster and Tobasco-- since you're new to the region). It's got two levels of outdoor decks on the water overlooking the wharfs. If you don't like the Landing, there are tons of bars and restaurants nearby to check out (most of them are at least partially outdoors). The Red Parrot has a good martini list and good, moderately priced food (loooong menu) so it's a nice place to check out (on the corner of Thames and Memorial). Sardella's is good and 22 Bowen is excellent... those are my restaurant recommendations (nothing is cheap in NPT), but there are plenty of others to choose from.

I would avoid Rhino Bar at all costs. It's a generic, dumpy sort of atmosphere (not to mention tacky with Zebra striped booths) that has expensive drinks and an aggrivating cover.

Newport can get VERY pricey. I always play college and bring some of my own libations to have with friends at someone's house in town before heading to the bar. You may want to hit up the liquor store (before heading to Newport) and plan on the same. Other than that, my best advice would be to walk around the Wharves (particularly Bowen's and Bannister's) and along Thames and you'll see places that you want to go into. There are so many bars in a small area that it's easy to find something appealing. Seeing as you're going to be in a group of single ladies, make friends... someone may have a Yacht that they'll invite you on to have some drinks. My mom (*cringes*) used to do this with her single friends on "ladies night out" and had a blast making new friends. The atmosphere in Newport is very easy going and fun.

Easton's beach (follow Memorial BLVD East for about 1.5 miles from Downtown) is nice for...errr...recovering from the previous night and Second Beach is just a bit further down. I would recommend checking out the Breakers Mansion and the Marble House (I had prom at Rosecliff). Absolutely beautiful and my two favorite mansions in town (Newport Mansions website and pricing... not cheap). Taking a drive along Ocean Drive is free and beautiful too. Cliffwalk (along the ocean and the mansions) shouldn't be missed and can be picked up near where Memorial BLVD meets Easton's Beach (also called 1st Beach) and nearly off of any road heading East perpendicular to Bellevue Ave (i.e. Webster, Shepard, Leroy, Ruggles, etc). It's free if you can find parking and well worth it. Breathtaking views.

There are also a number of harbor crusies. There are little information booths all around Bowen's and Bannister's wharf so you can find one that you see fit. Sunset wine cruises are VERY fun. look into it when you're there.

Hopefully this helps. Newport is my favorite place on earth come June, July and August and I can't imagine you'll have a bad time. Enjoy!

*Edit*
If you're coworkers are looking to meet someone, they'll enjoy the Landing (end of Bannister's Wharf). It has a LOT of single people looking to meet new folks. It's not a meat market by any stretch, but it's got a good looking single crowd (dance floor inside, beautiful decks and patios outside). A few weeks ago I had to "rescue" a friend who was being actively pursued by a woman looking to take him back to her hotel room. She was relentless. After multiple attempts to free him from her, she invited us BOTH back to her room and insisted that it would be "worth our while." When she saw my horrified look, she tried to have her friend play wing(wo)man on me. It was entertaining at least. I think anyone single would enjoy it. A lot of harmless flirting, but also "opportunity" if that's what you're looking for. Not sleezy at all either. Just good old fashioned fun.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:29 AM

lrfox - you are seriously one of my favorite cyber-people. LOL. Thanks for the great advice. You are always a wealth of knowledge.

On your edit: one of my email addresses is "alwaysthewingman".

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Since August is my "child-free" month, I will certainly make the most out of playing tourist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island