U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 PM

15 posts, read 20,775 times
Default Does a moderately, charming town exist in RI?

So I'm doing some research to pinpoint where I would want to move upon graduation... I'm an artist and my fiance is a soon-to-be law school graduate. Rhode Island seems really appealing for its small town charm and close proximity to the beach (my fiance is a surfer buff)

But as a not-so-wealthy graduate student RI, much of what I have read is very intimidating due to the high cost of living there... Does a town exist in RI that graduate students could survive and raise a young family, without being in debt up to our eyeballs??

If so, I would love to hear your recommendations!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,038,072 times
There are many places to live in RI that have a moderate cost of living. If your husband gets a decently paying job as an attorney and you can make a salary as an artist, you'll be fine. If not, you're going to have a problem anywhere- not just RI. So jobs first, then home.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM

15 posts, read 20,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There are many places to live in RI that have a moderate cost of living. If your husband gets a decently paying job as an attorney and you can make a salary as an artist, you'll be fine. If not, you're going to have a problem anywhere- not just RI. So jobs first, then home.
Are there any specific towns you would recommend?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:36 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,038,072 times
Moderate income: West Warwick, Cranston, Warwick (Buttonwoods,Greenwood), Woonsocket (parts), Pawtucket (Fairlawn, Darlington), Providence (Elmhurst), East Providence (Riverside). Starter homes in the 200s can easily be had nowadays. Taxes roughly around 3k. I'd look for gas heat myself.

If you're renting and concerned about price, stay away from Newport, Barrington, Middletown, Bristol, East Side of Providence (esp. around colleges) - go out into the surrounding areas and towns. Of course, the closer you get to water views and beaches, the more you will pay, but you can easily drive to these areas.

There really are loads of possibilities, so it's hard to pin down w/o more specifics....

Old 06-06-2009, 07:07 AM

3,264 posts, read 6,037,859 times
The problem is that all of what are considered "charming towns" are costlier. My favorites (as someone who was born/raised in RI and only moved away a year ago in middle age):
1. East Side of Providence (not to be confused with the city of East Providence) - eclectic, historic, close to Brown/RISD
2. Barrington - upscale, very suburban with a town center
3. Warren - quite artsy, by the water in East Bay, town center
4. Bristol - ditto as above
5. Wickford (a section of North Kingstown) home to the Wickford Art Fair, on the water, walkable
6. Jamestown (island connected to Newport and North Kingstown by bridges), gorgeous scenery
7. Edgewood - section of Cranston, funky suburban, great older homes..close to Pawtuxet
8. Wakefield - part of Narragansett, by the, beach,nice town
9. Pawtuxet Village (a section of Warwick with a town-like feel and walkable)
10. Newport - need I say more?

Hollytree was correct about moderate pricing in the above areas but not places I would choose first. I think you, as an artist, may prefer 1-10.
Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island