Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:01 AM

266 posts, read 866,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I think this has been a particularly cool spring/early summer than usual.
Thats what i was going to say as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 PM

31 posts, read 403,896 times
Wow...that's a lot of great info...I got a few follow up questions.

1) Why is it that the water is too cold to swim from in MA and points north?
-Where exactly is the line in New England where it gets too cold...I find it interesting and am curious as to why Rhode Island is so close to the too cold point of the Atlantic and what makes it warmer than others.

2) I also find it interesting how you say the Block Island sound is part of the Atlantic Ocean.
-It's kind of confusing because if it's part of the Atlantic Ocean...than why do they call it the sound like the LI Sound?
-Same thing with Mass...they have the Massachusetts Bay and the Gulf of Maine...I never got if one/both were the Atlantic or seperate?
-I also have wondered...is the RI/CT border really the line between the Atlantic and the sound...what makes it so drastic?

3) How come the outer banks has such great surf...if doesn't face north/south.

4) Would you say basically then any Rhode Island beach be it
-Misquamicut -Scarborough -2nd beach

They all have a similar surf....in other words is it worth the extra distance and money for me to go to Narragansett town beach of Ruggles...or would I be just as well in Westerly as far as water temp and surfing goes all things equal?

5) As far as forecasts go...to plan a good time to go the beach....do any websites offer good forecasts on surf?
-You mentioned southern winds and Bermuda highs but I'm not meterologists...would any marine forecast sight be fine or do I have to observe and predict the waves myself?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer1280 View Post
Wow...that's a lot of great info...I got a few follow up questions.

1) Why is it that the water is too cold to swim from in MA and points north?
-Where exactly is the line in New England where it gets too cold...I find it interesting and am curious as to why Rhode Island is so close to the too cold point of the Atlantic and what makes it warmer than others.

2) I also find it interesting how you say the Block Island sound is part of the Atlantic Ocean.
-It's kind of confusing because if it's part of the Atlantic Ocean...than why do they call it the sound like the LI Sound?
-Same thing with Mass...they have the Massachusetts Bay and the Gulf of Maine...I never got if one/both were the Atlantic or seperate?
-I also have wondered...is the RI/CT border really the line between the Atlantic and the sound...what makes it so drastic?

3) How come the outer banks has such great surf...if doesn't face north/south.

4) Would you say basically then any Rhode Island beach be it
-Misquamicut -Scarborough -2nd beach

They all have a similar surf....in other words is it worth the extra distance and money for me to go to Narragansett town beach of Ruggles...or would I be just as well in Westerly as far as water temp and surfing goes all things equal?

5) As far as forecasts go...to plan a good time to go the beach....do any websites offer good forecasts on surf?
-You mentioned southern winds and Bermuda highs but I'm not meterologists...would any marine forecast sight be fine or do I have to observe and predict the waves myself?

Thanks!

Lets see if I can answer your questions one at a time….

Q: “Why is it that the water is too cold to swim from in MA and points north - Where exactly is the line in New England where it gets too cold...I find it interesting and am curious as to why Rhode Island is so close to the too cold point of the Atlantic and what makes it warmer than others.

A: Several factors create cool to cold water in summer from Massachusetts northward…and warm water from Rhode Island southward. The main factor is the cold Labrador Current - which begins up off eastern Canada and flows south to around Cape Cod, where it converges and weakens near the Gulf Stream coming out of the tropics east of the Bahamas and off South America. Also, the periodic southwest flow out of the subtropical High (Azores-Bermuda High) allows better mixing of the warmer water (eddies, wind effects..ect) of the Gulf Stream from Rhode Island south to Virginia. Places from Rhode Island/Long Island southward are effectively blocked from the cold currents (in most years). Rhode Island may be in political "New England"...but climatically it's in the Middle Atlantic. The line can be pretty sharp.

Here is a picture from last August (2008): You can somewhat see the core of the warm Gulf Stream (the black dots). The Atlantic Ocean was about 24 C (74 F) off Rhode Island/Long Island…. while from Massachusetts’s northward, the Atlantic was around 20 C (66 F). You can see that just to the east of Rhode Island, the Atlantic quickly cools very quickly. In fact, as you can see, most of the coast of Maine had 17 C surf (about 61 F). This would be like trying to swim in the Pacific off San Francisco, CA! At the opposite end of the extreme…from the southern North Carolina coast southward the Atlantic is over 28 C (82 F).

Q: I also find it interesting how you say the Block Island sound is part of the Atlantic Ocean. It's kind of confusing because if its part of the Atlantic Ocean...than why do they call it the sound like the LI Sound? Same thing with Mass...they have the Massachusetts Bay and the Gulf of Maine...I never got if one/both were the Atlantic or separate?

A: As I mentioned before…the south coast of Rhode Island faces the open. The terms “Bay or Gulf” is often given to near shore waters when there is a small island or shoaling offshore, for example…Gulf of Santa Catalina along the Pacific Coast near San Diego, Long Bay and Onslow Bay off the Atlantic Coast of North Carolina. Some Bay or Sound’s are truly enclosed bodies of water for the most part, for example …Chesapeake Bay (Baltimore), Puget Sound (Seattle), Biscayne Bay (Miami). Using the map above again, you can clearly see the Connecticut coast is blocked from the open sea by Long Island, NY. Once you reach Watch Hill, Rhode Island, Long Island ends. Hence you face the open sea or the Bahamas if you are looking due south (71 – 72 longitude).

Q: ) How come the outer banks has such great surf...if doesn't face north/south

A: The Outer Banks often has better surf because it is frequently the closest to the southwest flow of the Bermuda High and rough Atlantic surf generated by storms, fronts…etc. So the Outer Banks has good surfing frequently because it is very exposed. Again, technically, it’s really southern North Carolina (Cape Fear to southern Cape Hatteras) that has the best surfing. This is due to the fact they face a bit more southward (onshore wind/waves). Still, summer can have a lot of flat conditions anywhere along the East Coast. Storm surfing is still king on the East Coast.

Q: Would you say basically then any Rhode Island beach be it
-Misquamicut -Scarborough -2nd beach - They all have a similar surf....in other words is it worth the extra distance and money for me to go to Narragansett town beach of Ruggles...or would I be just as well in Westerly as far as water temp and surfing goes all things equal?

A: If this question means which location has the best surf under the best conditions (hurricane swinging eastward, strong south wind, tide coming in…etc) then I think any of the south County beaches are the best (East Beach, Misquamicut, Green Hill, Matunuck…etc). Narragansett and the spots around Newport would still be very good too. Under perfect conditions…there is no bad surf along the Atlantic Coast of Rhode Island or Long Island.

Q: As far as forecasts go...to plan a good time to go the beach....do any websites offer good forecasts on surf? -You mentioned southern winds and Bermuda highs but I'm not meterologists...would any marine forecast sight be fine or do I have to observe and predict the waves myself?

A: Well, the marine segment of the local news in Providence is great. They supply wind and wave conditions every day. You could check the NWS marine forecast site. It’s simple. Are you located in Rhode Island, the northeast …etc?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 AM

512 posts, read 1,754,867 times
Parts of Stonington, CT appears to have direct exposure to the Atlantic.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM

31 posts, read 403,896 times
Wavehunter...thanks!

1) I live in CT...I do NOT get Providence stations...so I am looking for a place that gives good forecasts.

2) I really find that fascinating how Rhode Island is right on the line and almost blessed in that it just is past Long Island and thus gets the Atlantic Ocean and at the same time, just before the point where the water becomes too cold.

3) You're point about MA getting the cold Labroudor Current I see...what is weird is based on the map it seems the warm/cold line is on Cape Cod...where it goes from facing south to facing east it shifts...is this the general trend?

4) Basically mid July-September/October the RI beaches are warm and any South County beach should have similar surf on any given day?

5) What exactly is a Bermuda High?

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,326 times
In August, which has more days of ridable surf, Matunuck or Narragansett?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:04 PM

120 posts, read 235,233 times
This website might help you out:

NE SURF

I see a lot of surfers in Newport around the Cliff walk area

Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,472 times
Love this vid and song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njTjMcnYZMQ

Old 07-08-2013, 05:19 AM

209 posts, read 607,908 times
I am from California and while I get that surf here and there will never be the same I love some fun waves to frolic in. I didn't care for the break at Misquamicut. Last week we went to check out first and second beaches. What I liked was sandy bottom and no under tow, waves were as gentle as a lamb. Fun to flop around in and stay cool but the waves had no push though and without my fins I found it impossible to get any kind of a ride on the body board. There were surfers on the road in front of us and instead of turning off at first beach they veered to the left and I was wondering where they were going. We will be checking out another break in rhode island this coming sunday, not sure which break and I am hoping for better luck.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:34 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
I am from California and while I get that surf here and there will never be the same I love some fun waves to frolic in. I didn't care for the break at Misquamicut. Last week we went to check out first and second beaches. What I liked was sandy bottom and no under tow, waves were as gentle as a lamb. Fun to flop around in and stay cool but the waves had no push though and without my fins I found it impossible to get any kind of a ride on the body board. There were surfers on the road in front of us and instead of turning off at first beach they veered to the left and I was wondering where they were going. We will be checking out another break in rhode island this coming sunday, not sure which break and I am hoping for better luck.
You have to wait for an actual swell to be in the water. It was flat everywhere this past weekend. July is flat 95% of the time. You might get 5 days a month that have a decent swell with descent offshore winds. Unlike California, where there is swell almost every single day during July. Check the surf reports/forecasts/webcams to know when there's swell in the water.

July is the flattest month of the year. Yes the cruel irony, that as soon as it gets hot, the wave action starts dying out. It picks up again in September. September to the middle of June is when most of the swell occurs. As any east coast surfer will tell you, summer is painfully flat. You need storms and movement of air masses(strong frontal systems with a large fetch) for swell generation. You can usually get a hurricane swell as well. Best bet is if the hurricane comes close, slows down and stays out at sea. Days and days of waves. This usually happens in September, but sometimes in the last week of August or sometimes earlier than that if you're lucky

You're on the "wrong" coast now. The east coast is inconsistent because storms are moving west to east sending all the wave action over to Europe/Portugal. We are on the wrong side of the atlantic if you're looking for consistency.

The "best beach" is always changing because sands are shifting. What's great one day may close out the next. Also, there are always going to be rips(you mistakenly call undertow) anytime there's a moderate to big swell in the water.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 07-08-2013 at 06:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island