Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,585 times

Advertisements

After a year of living with my boyfriend in our 5 bedroom ranch in Wakefield (RI), we've decided that we're going to move to the Eastside of Providence. He commutes to Westport, MA everyday and the hr drive each way is killing him . I drive 35 mins to Johnston for my job. We're thinking that the Eastside would be a good location to meet in the middle. We're both in our mid 20's. We have a budget of about $1000 a month for rent, after we rent out our house down here. My question is Where should we live on the Eastside. We're seeing some ok places in our price range in Hope (@ Hope & 6th), Fox Point (@ Wickenden & Governor), one on Arnold St., and one at Hope and Cypress. I'm still looking around though. I have a small dog and want to feel like I can walk her at night and feel safe. And while I am a young person who enjoys the occasional festivities, I don't want to be surrounded by raucous partying students all the time. We also have 2 cars, so we anticipate parking being a challenge. So, what areas are safe and worth our time exploring? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Well.. the areas you've mentioned.....do cater to students.

Not only is parking going to be an issue (you cannot park on the streets overnight), your car taxes are going to be higher.... as well as your insurance. When I moved to the East Side from Newport, my insurance went up 50%! OUCH!

To escape the student life.....nicer properties around Blackstone......Elmgrove (the farther away from S Angell... the better the neighborhood.........Grotto...............nice areas.. but will be out of your price range sad to say.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:30 AM

192 posts, read 560,258 times
I wouldn't classify Hope & 6th as a student hotspot...I used to live on 5th off of Hope, and it was more young professional/family-oriented. A great spot, in my opinion, with places to eat and shop within walking distance, but also a short stroll to Blackstone.

If you find a rental in that area (called "Hope Village" or "Summit") that offers parking, go for it! Here's the Summit Neighborhood Association website, to help give you a feel for the 'hood:

Summit Neighborhood Association

You could also look into the Oak Hill section of Pawtucket, which is just a bit further North on Hope. Oak Hill has a similar feel to Hope Village/Summit, but is generally less expensive.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 AM

156 posts, read 438,949 times
I second scdreamer - areas around Hope and 6th are not student ghettos by any stretch (having come from one in Brighton Massachusetts I know one when I see one). I highly recommend that area for someone looking for a nice cross between having stuff nearby but not being in a zoo.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 AM

56 posts, read 147,204 times
We used to live near Hope and 6th. The closer to Hope, and the farther away you are from North Main, the better the location. I second the recommendation for Oak Hill as well. Hope St. is nice for pedestrians, ice cream, coffee, bakery, restaurants, and other conveniences, i.e. drugstore and dry cleaning. It has a nice neighborhood bustle feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island