Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 05:32 AM

1 posts, read 21,178 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where there are places to go clamming for free in RI. I know there's one by Pt Judith, but I have NO idea where it is, and cannot find directions on the net! Help!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 AM

100 posts, read 466,037 times
Default Clamming

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiey View Post
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where there are places to go clamming for free in RI. I know there's one by Pt Judith, but I have NO idea where it is, and cannot find directions on the net! Help!?

Funny you ask... I just finished reading Rhode Island Monthly and they had a feature on all thing Shellfish including a blurb about how and where to clam.. the article mentions Potter's Cove/Taylor Pt in Jamestown, Point Judith Pond, Greenwich Cove in Goddard Park and Sapowet Marsh and Fogland Beach both in Tiverton.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 PM

30 posts, read 129,477 times
On the causeway over to great island. Tidal flats to the north, wear your boots.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:52 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,477 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

First, all clamming is free! But, that could change any moment since salt water fishing will soon require a permit. Some places are closed periodically due to runoff pollution. You will need to call Rhode Island DEM for those areas closed.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 17,600 times
is there anywhere in the Jamestown rea we can rent salt water fishing gear?

marlene

Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,251 times
I doubt it, u may wnt to try middletown. There are a couple larger tackelshops there.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 PM

62 posts, read 123,158 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

A buddy of mine and his friends all go to conimicut point in Warwick, and with hip waders they just walk out with some 5 gallon buckets, a tool they make themselves to dig with, and voila - clams galore! I don't know about eating them though - he says their delicious, but if you start to glow in the dark after consuming them, then I would stay away.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:56 AM

62 posts, read 101,507 times
Quonochontaug Breachway and the other Charlestown RI points of access were always great fishing and shell fishing areas. Being that I had family that actually lived on West Beach, Quonochontaug was always a no-brainer for us. With all the required gear and a small jonboat already there made it EZ-PZ. The waters are clean and there isn't any real industry around to overly contaminate the waters. Clams and quahogs always seemed to be plentiful. Don't know if it's still legal but a bathroom rubber plunger on a broom handle made short work of digging clams in 6 or more inches of water! If my brother and I worked hard at it we could fill a bushel basket in a half an hour if we hit a good spot. The best areas were always by boat on the far side of the breachway. We also would spear a few skate in the shallow water while we were there. One in front with the spear and one in the back slowly trolling! Oh to be about 14 again!

Daytripper's Guide: Charlestown

Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM

24 posts, read 85,949 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Ninagret part, at the end of the long runway.

And it's free to dig and eat them, but not to sell them. Selling requires a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island