U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 AM

160 posts, read 512,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
My dh wants to go to Newport for the weekend in the next couple of weeks. What else is there to do there besides visit mansions?

Also, please recommend some good b-n-b's/hotels/eateries.

Thanks.
Tons of stuff to do... walk Cliffwalk, walk the mansions, drive Ocean drive, walk and shop Thames street. Visit some of the park. Thames St has tons of restaurants too. As for specific b&bs, I dont know which are best, but check trip advisor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:10 PM

4,037 posts, read 5,448,900 times
Here's a good website

Welcome to Go Newport - The Official Site for Newport RI offers all the information you need

Black Ships Festival coming up soon!!!

Pod, they might even have merkins for you, although I hear the Japanese variety is pretty wild & crazy....

Black Ships is very exciting and I got my name written in Japanese on a plaque last time I went- cool.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:37 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,350,858 times
Thanks, everyone.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 AM

102 posts, read 214,315 times
To do Newport: (1) Get a true feel for a Colonial town when you just walk up the hill from Thames Street and saunter amonst the real homes from the 1700's! Enjoy the little park around Old Stone Mill and ponder its true origins-- could it really be a tower built by the Vikings in North America? Try to admire the inside of Trinity Church, where George Washington worshipped. (2) Walk the entire Cliff Walk. Bring your video camera! Bear in mind, every year there are serious injuries and deaths on the cliffs. If the kid's hat blows off -- just forget it! PLEASE! (3) Picnic an hour at huge Ft. Adams and watch the sail boats and motor yachts in the harbour. (Of course, its even better to see the harbour FROM the deck of a majestic sailing sloop , if you have the time and can afford it!) (4) Take the tourist train from town up to the topiary at Green Animals. (5) Mansions are incredible! (My personal favourite is Chateau Sur Mer.)

Newport is the epitome of the tourist trap, but you don't have to break the bank to enjoy it. Best to plan on spending two days here.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,575 times
The list of cool things to do in Newport RI is endless.

Yes, most people go to see the Newport mansions or to do some sailing. But there is so much more, as others above have mentioned.

Here are some of my favorites:

-Fort Adams State Park (tour the fort, small beach, picnic area, great views of Narragansett Bay)
-Newport Cliff Walk
-10 Mile Ocean Drive
-International Tennis Hall of Fame (I'm not really into tennis, but this is pretty cool)
-Countless shops downtown
-Great waterfront restaurants
-Great bars and nightclubs (especially during the summer)

As for Newport Bed and Breakfasts:

-Francis Malbone House (hands down the best in Newport)
-Hilltop Inn
-Sarah Kendall House[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-11-2009 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: advertising, link to outside blog

Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 PM

32 posts, read 50,713 times
But did she and DH go to Newport? and what did they do? where did they stay? did they have fun? or is DH now barred from ever suggesting a weekend get-away spot cuz she was bored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island